What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Roma (Netflix)
This is a stunning film by Alfonso Cuaron. My mind is still racing trying to take it all in, there is just so much imagery and attention to detail. It's done in black and white which emphasises the neo-realistic style and Cuaron's expert long takes feature throughout the film. Set in Mexico in the early 70's we follow the life of a middle class family through the eyes of Cleo who is the maid and the actress Yalitza Aparicio who plays her is just perfect in an understated yet captivating way. There is even a nod to Gravity tucked in to the film. I'll definitely be watching this again and again.
9.5/10

Think I’ll give that a wee watch.

Roma (Netflix)
This is a stunning film by Alfonso Cuaron. My mind is still racing trying to take it all in, there is just so much imagery and attention to detail. It's done in black and white which emphasises the neo-realistic style and Cuaron's expert long takes feature throughout the film. Set in Mexico in the early 70's we follow the life of a middle class family through the eyes of Cleo who is the maid and the actress Yalitza Aparicio who plays her is just perfect in an understated yet captivating way. There is even a nod to Gravity tucked in to the film. I'll definitely be watching this again and again.
9.5/10
Is it worth paying £7.50 to see it in the cinema as opposed to watching it on Netflix?

(212)

Underground 10/10

Serbian film and 1995 winner of the Palme D’or and probably the best new-to-me movie I’ve seen in 2018, a year in which I watched a hell of a lot of films. Absurd take on the history of the Balkans since 1941 told through two war profiteers. Toward the end of WW2 one of them gets injured and has to stay in the underground hideout and the other one, sensing a chance to steal his wife and get a cushy job as Tito’s mate, doesn’t bother to tell his friend or their comrades that the war has ended when it does. So they all stay...underground...awaiting the signal to come out and kill the fascists while their mate gets rich and powerful. The story (and I’ve only covered maybe 25% of it there) is told in this absurdist tar-black satirical style that wouldn’t work if it wasn’t made by a bunch of people probably actually recently bereaved and peeling off war scabs. A band seem to be constantly playing. A zoo is bombed and loads of the surviving animals end up living in houses and the underground. It’s like Vic & Bob consulted on it at times, except it heightens the madness and anger rather than makes it into a farce. Proper amazing stuff really. Some people won’t get on with it and some will find it heavy-handed in parts. But I thought it was magnificent. The 1994 Palme was Pulp Fiction and the year after this won was Secrets & Lies. Other 90s winners include: Taste of Cherry, Barton Fink, Wild at Heart and The Piano. I like all those films. And this is better than those. 

I went to see 'Roma' today. It's probably great... I just couldn't get into it. The first hour or so dragged for me but I was rather tired while watching it, and I didn't actually feel like much time was wasted when it ended i.e. the slowness all felt conducive to giving the ending much more weight.
I just wasn't getting enough from what came before though.
That said, I'm perfectly willing to give it another go as I feel like it was my fault, not the film's.

Creed II -- an interesting premise which sees Creed matching up to Ivan Drago's son. It's utterly predictable but it was adequately executed. Not as good as the first Creed but all in all a pretty decent entry into this 42 year old franchise. 6/10

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I went to see 'Roma' today. It's probably great... I just couldn't get into it. The first hour or so dragged for me but I was rather tired while watching it, and I didn't actually feel like much time was wasted when it ended i.e. the slowness all felt conducive to giving the ending much more weight.
I just wasn't getting enough from what came before though.
That said, I'm perfectly willing to give it another go as I feel like it was my fault, not the film's.

Just watched this on my TV.  Leisurely pace gradually lured me in and likely one of the best films of 2018.

I didn't quite get the boyfriend at the student demo though. Was the martial arts training connected to some right-wing group?

Bumblebee

Definitely the best of the live action Transformers movies (the original animated one is still head and shoulders above), and almost registers on the level of "pretty good". Sadly the rest of the film never quite lives up to the opening scenes on Cybertron, but it's decent enough. John Cena is surprisingly good as the human antagonist. Nice 80s soundtrack, including a Transformers classic.

Going to see Stan and Ollie at the Unlimited screening tonight - really looking forward to that.

The Old Man and the Gun

Quite the wee charmer of a movie here. Doesn't appear to really GO anywhere but it's a breeze anyway and that means I don't really give a shit. Redford in full charm mode is always great to see and there's one scene in particular that is genuinely both tense and fairly funny at the same time.

8/10