What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs(Netflix)

Had high hopes for it due to the reviews and being a fan of lots of the Coens stuff but this was an absoloute chore to watch, just dont think the format worked, I know it's had a lot of love on here but personally thought it was one of the worst things they've done. 3/10 

(208)

Human Flow 7.5/10

Documentary by dissident artist Ai Weiwei about the various migrant crises in the early part of this decade. Ai is in it himself occasionally, being gnomic and humane. In fact in a way it is kind of propaganda for humanitarian causes, filtered through the nuanced sensibility of a brave world-class artist. It looks kind of beautiful, the formations masses of humans make while travelling, delicate seascapes, and drone footage to lull you into some kind of serenity - and then hits you with some tough imagery (refugee camps, imperilled boat journeys) straight off the back of it. It’s hard to say whether it is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ in the removed artistic sense because it’s politics are put up front; but it is objectively well-made, interesting, it captures the scale of the issue with a sense of individual stories - but also in a dignified style. 

This guy disagrees, saying “Human Flow’s conscious decision to avoid overly-personal stories dilutes the potential power of the narrative too. It breezes past the personal for a more political standpoint, viewing the crisis in brief snippets; we understand the scale of the catastrophe but Weiwei never gives substance or time to one person’s story and it feels like a mistake. https://www.filminquiry.com/human-flow-2017-review/

I think he’s wrong, and the cutting between different huge throngs has way more impact than some X-Factor style sob story would have. Worth a watch, i’d say. (Netflix)

19 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
On 10/12/2018 at 16:25, LeeVanTeeth said:
Fantastic stuff. I think.
Will have to watch this one again.

I switched Mandy off after about 25 mins in. Just seemed like a load of weird nonsense to me. Each to their own I suppose.

Can understand turning off at that point. Although you NEED to see the final hour. It's more than worth the boredom that comes before. Everything from the utterly wonderful bathroom scene onwards is pure gold.

On 10/12/2018 at 22:43, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:
On 10/12/2018 at 16:25, LeeVanTeeth said:
Fantastic stuff. I think.
Will have to watch this one again.

I switched Mandy off after about 25 mins in. Just seemed like a load of weird nonsense to me. Each to their own I suppose.

Mandy is just alright. No more, no less. If you bailed after 25 mins there are going to be several other points later that you will feel like doing the same. It has a few great moments but certainly diminishing returns over the whole piece. It’s a “weird” movie for people that don’t like “weird” movies. 

(209-210)

Shoplifters 6.5/10

Good film, well acted, well written, interesting themes (“what is family”, being the obvious one) BUT for some reason I found it strangely unengaging. Hard to know if it was the film or just that I wasn’t in the right mood for it tho but think it might have been the latter tbf. (cinema)

Mah Beautiful Boy 7/10

Monday nights Screen Unseen was this starring Bert Le Cros and Chad Le Cros as a father and son whose relationship is strained as the latter struggles with addiction to crystal meth. A strange experience - the editing was very choppy and disjointed and although after the opening scene there’s a title card saying “one year earlier” they never bother with that again and it just jumps forwards and backwards all the time without warning, rhyme or reason. Obviously that was deliberate and I get what they were going for but that doesn’t stop it feeling off. But, the performances (from everyone including the children) were brilliant, and the soundtrack is absolutely bloody brilliant, I can’t think of a film with a better one (it is basically all set in the mid-late 90s).

https://www.bfi.org.uk/best-films-2018

Faces Places wasn’t great. I love Agnes Varda but she’s putting out literally anything she can finish now she’s near death. She was asked to curate this exhibition in Liverpool that everyone who worked there thought was batty old shit. Cold War did nothing for me too. 

Never liked Lanthimos but would like to see The Favourite and Sorry To Bother You looks like my thing very much. 

Your Were Never Really Here is good.

Sort of pathetic that three directors on that list are ORSON WELLES (dead), Jean-Luc Godard (mental) and Paul Schrader. I’m pretty sure there are enough good directors whose earliest work was after 1970!

(211)

Once Upon A Deadpool 9/10

Went to see this last night because why not, f**k it. The premise it’s a recut of Deadpool 2 with the R-rated material taken out altogether or replaced by PG-13 stuff, and Deadpool, rather than Peter Falk is telling the story to an adult Fred Savage. The new scenes, what little there were of them, were very funny. But all of the brutal violence, all of the strong swearing, was taken out, and here in the U.K. it was still a 15 certificate so if the aim was to bring in a new audience to the franchise in readiness for Disney then it was a complete waste of time, here at least. I still loved it though. (cinema)

16 hours ago, Christophe said:

Mandy is just alright. No more, no less. If you bailed after 25 mins there are going to be several other points later that you will feel like doing the same. It has a few great moments but certainly diminishing returns over the whole piece. It’s a “weird” movie for people that don’t like “weird” movies. 

Nope, I most definitely like weird movies, and not just ‘weird’ movies - favourite movies, for today anyway - Last Year at Marienba(Resnais), Stalker (Tarkovsky), and Inland Empire (Lynch).

Admittedly it’s no masterpiece, and  were it not for the director’s idiosyncratic stylistic flourishes it could be labelled a disposable genre flick. It’s also derivative - it’s very Evil Dead / Sam Raimi at times, and if I was Clive Barker I’d be looking for royalties - the biker gang might as well have been led by Doug ‘Pinhead’ Bradley. However, it does have a nicely offbeat, off-kilter sensibility. I actually preferred the ‘boring’ opening stretch to the high octane revenge movie denouement (such films tend to degenerate into formulaic exercises as the bad guys are picked off one by one) , but there were great moments sprinkled throughout IMO.

Despite all the aforementioned faults, still loved it.

Beautiful Boy 

Unlimited preview of this was on Tuesday. Highlight of it is Chalamet's performance as an 18 year old hooked on meth. He nails the mood swings and extreme emotions throughout - wouldn't be overly surprised to see another Oscar nomination come his way. 

Carrell not quite up to the same level. Good in the quiet, calm scenes but when he has to be angry or start shouting, he just comes across as screechy and annoying. His range as a serious actor is quite limited. 

In all, a good film that could have been a lot better. While it is a very good depiction of addiction and the long struggle towards sobriety, it is a bit formulaic in parts. It jumps around a lot in the first half and I genuinely wasn't sure at times which point in time we were watching 

IT - 3/10

Never seen the original, nor even heard about the full plot. 

Wasn't anything particularly clever about it, nothing creepy about Pennywise in the slightest, and don't even get me started on the fact a murdering clown that's haunted an entire town for centuries is defeated thanks to "not being afraid". 

The bit where he steals the lassie, doesn't even harm her, leaves her floating in the air, and all they have to do to save her is grab her by the feet, drag her down and then kiss her, while under no threat at all, shows how laughable a "horror" film it is. It's not even a psychological thriller, all the scares are hilariously shite.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Roma (Netflix)

This is a stunning film by Alfonso Cuaron. My mind is still racing trying to take it all in, there is just so much imagery and attention to detail. It's done in black and white which emphasises the neo-realistic style and Cuaron's expert long takes feature throughout the film. Set in Mexico in the early 70's we follow the life of a middle class family through the eyes of Cleo who is the maid and the actress Yalitza Aparicio who plays her is just perfect in an understated yet captivating way. There is even a nod to Gravity tucked in to the film. I'll definitely be watching this again and again.

9.5/10