What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Mandy

This movie... fucking hell. It's a slow mover initially, which will definitely be off putting. From the big early turning point on though, Nicolas Cage takes over, and I couldn't take my eyes away from that moment on. It looks amazing, the score adds yet more to what's already great, and Cage, while bonkers, manages to get some proper emotion out of it, especially in one scene in a toilet which is horrible to watch.

I cannot sum up how much I loved this movie really. I had pretty high expectations and the fact that it exceeded them tells me how much I enjoyed this.

10/10

watched Predator and predator 2 last night. predator is just amazing. one of the all time great action movies and still looks great on screen despite being 2 months older than me!

predator 2 isnt a patch on the first but its still a great film. cant really go wrong with murtaugh fighting an alien!

Hateful Eight (Netflix)

Not the strongest of Tarantino flicks but not bad, Kurt Russell and co. Give some great performances but the overuse of the N word for the blatant shock factor and a fairly limp story lets it downa bit. 6/10

Debt Collectors ( Netflix)

Just endless fight scenes with no storyline and shite banter . 2/10

On 19/09/2018 at 14:37, Co.Down Hibee said:

Hateful Eight (Netflix)

some great performances but the overuse of the N word for the blatant shock factor and a fairly limp story lets it downa bit.

Funny, I had similar issues with Django. 

A Simple Favor 

The worst thing about this movie is the spelling of the word 'favor'. Other than that, this was a highly entertaining movie with Anna Kendrick AND Blake Lively in it :wub: 

It's funny, has plenty of twists to keep you interested and by the end you're trying to work out who's doing what to who. It's about 2 hours long and felt it maybe could've been cut down a bit, but it's one of those films where there will be clues planted in the dialogue and scenery which you'll probably only notice on the 2nd viewing - I like movies where repeat viewings garner just as much as the first. Lived up to my high expectations. 

8/10

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It was probably overused in it as well but given the film was about slaverythen at least there was a certain context to the use of the word, for me this was about a lack of ideas for H8 ,shock for shocks sake...still a decent enough film .

40 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

yeah this. although it was necessary in django more so than in the hateful 8

8 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

It was probably overused in it as well but given the film was about slaverythen at least there was a certain context to the use of the word, for me this was about a lack of ideas for H8 ,shock for shocks sake...still a decent enough film .

I got the impression that Tarantino felt the setting gave him an excuse to go overboard on the 'n word' and violence, or that he wanted to see how far he could push it. 

Avengers Infinity War. I’d been totally bored with superhero movies, but was pleasantly surprised by Black Panther so gave this a go. Bit disjointed. Thought it was a good ending until I realised it was only part 1. 5/10.

The Graduate (1967). Genuinely laugh out loud in parts, and Mrs Robinson is an absolute wid. 7/10.

Just watched Calibre, a Netflix original horror/thriller set in the Highlands. Very Wicker Man. Absolutely fantastic film; up there with The Ritual for films I’ve seen this year.

Spoiler

Never piss off teutchters.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

(139-141)

Shit load to catch up on so I keep putting off an update, but better just chip away at it, do some more tomorrow...

The Happytime Murderers 4/10

Seen this with my old mum. This was a total mess. There’s an idea in there, which in theory could be great, like the Muppet films but for adults. Jim Henson’s son directs it and the puppetry is absolutely top notch from start to finish. But it falls between two stools - it could have been a slapstick knock-around with gross-out humour that really pushed the boundaries - what Meet The Feebles tried to be. And it was that to an extent but nothing really felt that mad. It got a 15 rating and you have to wonder why they held back. Or, it could have gone totally straight-faced, hardboiled noir thriller and not even addressed the fact there were Muppets in it, maybe that would have been shit but maybe it would have been brilliant. We’ll never know because either way they played it perfectly straight and it sucked. But there were some decent laughs and like I said the puppetry was brilliant, I’ll watch anything with puppets in it. (cinema)

Equaliser 2 5/10

Seen this with my old mum. This was the first sequel Denzel ever made! And he probably shouldn’t have bothered. Some heavy-handed “the storm is coming” weather symbolism all the way through, some decent action scenes, bit of overblown mentorship storyline with a young black kid, obvious plot twist, decent performances, probably more memorable than the first one which I am CERTAIN I have seen. (cinema)

American Animals 7.5/10

True story about some absolute amateurs attempting a heist of some extremely valuable books (after googling “how to do a heist”) from a v low secure university library and don’t think it’s a spoiler to say they completely and utterly fucked it up. V slow for the first hour in building up the story (it’s mostly recreations but with intermittent real life interviews with the protagonists) but was PROPER tense when they were doing the actual heist bit. Same guy who made the film The Imposter, which gives you a bit of an idea of the style of it. Prob could have been 20 minutes shorter to make it a bit tighter, but definite recco. (cinema)

A Star Is Born. (Cinema) 

It’s brilliant. One of the best films I’ve seen this year. The performances of Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga and probably Sam Elliot will all get Oscar heat and the songs are sensational. The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga is electric, the ending is powerful and will stay with me for weeks  and  I’d guess the film captures the music industry today pretty well. I love musical films anyway but this is well up there with the best I’ve seen. I had high expectations for this and didn’t quite go the way I expected it to (I’ve not seen the previous incarnations of this story so I’m not sure if it ends the same way as the others or not) but it easily surpassed them.

10/10

The Disaster Artist (Sky Movies)

Excellent film about the development of the what is though to be the worst. Funny throughout and surprisingly touching. As good as anything I've seen James Franco in before. Absolutely nails the accent and mannerisms of Wiseau, as exemplified by the side by side clips at the end.

Been meaning to watch The Room for years - will definitely catch it now the whole thing is on YouTube. Shame I know how it ends now! [emoji22]

The Disaster Artist (Sky Movies)

Excellent film about the development of the what is though to be the worst. Funny throughout and surprisingly touching. As good as anything I've seen James Franco in before. Absolutely nails the accent and mannerisms of Wiseau, as exemplified by the side by side clips at the end.

Been meaning to watch The Room for years - will definitely catch it now the whole thing is on YouTube. Shame I know how it ends now! [emoji22]

If you haven't watched The Room you're in for a treat, a treat I tell you!