What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

6 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

It was definitely there. Nothing wrong in there that I seen either 

Hmm weird. Was it the “r” word? Can whoever pulled it confirm? Not much use pulling posts if you don’t let the writer know what the issue was for future reference! 

Anyway: bullet point was it was a big 9/10 for me.

First Reformed (Prince Charles Cinema)

A very art house film starring Ethan Hawke, Amanda Seyfried and Cedric the Entertainer. Hawke plays a reformed veteran who turns to priesthood after the death of his son. He ends up counselling Seyfried's husband who is a very staunch environmental activist. More ensues however I don't want to give away any spoilers. It's very slow and quiet however some of the shots were spectacular and the acting was great.

9/10

46 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

A quiet place

Good idea but it didn't do it for me. Is it not easier just to live beside the waterfall or put a speaker up a tree to distract them?

:lol:

Was there a sale on the Prometheus alien effect too? Looked a bit familiar.

They also must have had the world's quietest generator supplying the juice for their illuminated field.

Oh, and when there are sound sensitive aliens about, don't make an uncontrollable screaming machine which you have to stuff in a box to deaden its sound.

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hereditary....WTF was that ending about?

The first half was incredible, but it sadly went downhill from there. While I was impressed with several moments of the second half, the final five minutes or so went against what made the earlier parts so great, replacing the atmosphere with OTT madness that bordered on parody. The whole cult nonsense felt lifted from 'Paranormal Activity 3' (hardly what you should be aiming for), and brought it down to a level that it had managed to rise above up to that point. 

It was probably the best camera work I've seen from a horror film in a while - some really clever unconventional shots - and I liked the fact that it didn't rely on rapid cuts to build up tension; instead they had faith in the actors and score. 

Ari Aster seems to be a much better director than writer. 

Christopher Robin

What an absolutely beautiful film. A lovely story, it looks fantastic, and there are a few moments where someone definitely starts cutting onions in the cinema, which I’d imagine will be a nightmare in 4DX.

I also absolutely fucking love Tigger.

(130-132)

The Guardians 4/10

French film set in the WW1 but this time from the women’s perspective AT LAST. Got great reviews but really not sure why, just a totally straight forward period drama with not a lot of intrigue or particularly credible characters. Don’t bother. (cinema)

The Heiresses 6.5/10

Paraguayan film (don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those before!) about two ageing lesbians who are up shit creek money wise so slowly flogging off their large collection of antiques, focuses particularly on one of the women and the effect it’s all having on here. Decent. (torrent)

Three Identical Strangers 8/10

Doco about three identical strangers. Pretty good as a story, with some really great/shocking moments. Asks more questions than it answers. Satsy with you. (torrent)

Edited by Christophe

6 days (netflix) 6/10

a netflix original film all about the hostage situation at the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980. although i wasn't born until 87 i have read a fair amount about this event and the film seems to be very true to actual events and hasnt fantasized as many similar films would.

i have never really been a fan of jamie bell, except his performance in The Eagle, but he is sold enough here. hard to take Billy Elliot in military uniform serious though. also the girl playing news reporter Katie Adie is well worth a ride. even nicer than katie herself.

do think the dialogue between the main terrorist and the hostage negotiator could have been much better. thats where the drama could have really been built but all seemed a bit half arsed to be honest.

the film comes in at 1 hour 30 minutes so not too long and there are far worse things to waste 90 minutes on. following dundee being a prime example!

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

That alone perfectly sums it up for me.

I’ve not seen a film in years that I’ve given so much afterthought to, utterly sublime.

If you took any small relatives with you, like nieces or nephews (or bairnardo) who now want toys from the film, don’t bother with Disney store in the St Enoch Centre. As of this morning they had 1 Piglet and one Kanga and Roo. The look on the guy’s face when I asked when they might have the others back in stock was similar to a Vietnam vet having flashbacks!

If anyone cares...

Quality Statham flicks I've seen:

• Spy
  • Crank 1 & 2
  • Snatch
  • Lock, Stock etc (which I don't remember him even being in)

Dodgy Statham flicks (to some extent):

• The Meg
  • Death Race
  • The Transporter
  • Ghosts of Mars

I'm yet to see a film that his presence hasn't improved.