What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(122-128)

Mission Impossible 6: Guys I Realy Don’t Think Any Of These Missions Turned Out  To Be Impossible 10/10

Mindboggingly absurd, but also mindboggingly thrilling. The chase scenes - on a motorcycle in Paris, on foot in London and in helicopter in Kashmir - were stupidly exciting, and knowing that Cruise does all his own stunts just doubles the whole feeling. It’s self-aware all the way through and the entire cast is great. Slight criticism - Michelle Monaghan looks slightly too much like Rebecca Ferguson and that gets a bit confusing. Vanessa Kirby (Netflix’s The Crown, apparently) plays seriously the sexiest character since Jessica Rabbit. I spent so much of this film with a massive massive gurning grin on my face, I mean it really is completely absurd, but it’s so much fun that you don’t care. Easily the best MI film (although the last one was pretty good too). (cinema)

The Meg 10/10

Jason Statham fights a giant shark. (cinema)

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies 7/10

Never heard of this, or the TV show it was based on, or the TV show THAT was based on, or the comics that was based on. For kids (fart jokes) but it just rips the SHIT out of its own (DC) comic universe, with several other references. It’s funny. (cinema)

2001: A Space Odyssey 9/10

Saw it last night at an open air thing. Still v good.

Sicilian Ghost Story 6/10

Bit of a magical realist film, but based around a true story (kid gets kidnapped by da mafia who are trying to stop his dad from being a massive grass and they keep him locked up for years), kind of an interesting film but also jumped a bit too much around al over the shop so it didn’t quite hang together for me. Plus I’m not that much of a magical realist fan as I prefer to live a bit too relentlessly in the real world wherever possible. One thing I think would have helped is if I’d known that the guts of the story were true before rather than when they tell you (at the end) as that did bring quite an emotional heft to it that just wouldn’t be there if was complete fiction. (cinema)

Apostasy 8/10

Very much the opposite of a magical realist film what you would call a grindingly realist film, set in the charming and relaxed world of Jehovah’s Witnesses..NOT! (had NOT realised quite how nutty they were, so this was a bit of an eye opener). Focused around a single mum and her two daughters, one very devoted to Jehovah, the other not so sure about the whole thing. Thought the mum was particularly brilliant, genuinely felt like she wasn’t even acting. Filmed in full bleak, soundtrackless style, loved it. (cinema)

The Escape 6.5/10

Woman lives a crushingly dull and disappointing (for her) life of 2 kids, 2 cars and a suburban semi (but you’ve got a conservatory! as her mum tells her when she tries to explain how depressed she is), bits of it were not v credible (the “escape to Paris” specifically) and the soundtrack did that slightly annoying thing of signposting what you’re meant to be feeling but first half, of her unraveling, was decent. Particularly memorable but is where the two lead characters are having it off and she’s properly not there behind the eyes for whilst it’s going on, just this kind of subtle but grim window in to her clinically fed up state of mind. (DVD)

The Truman Show - DVD
Still looks good and my favourite Peter Weir film. Jim Carrey is really good and this is arguably his best performance.
8.5/10
Have you watched The Majestic? He's very good in that as well. A serious role. I think he gets a bit of stick for only being a comedy actor but any 'serious' film I've seen him in he's been convincing. Eternal Sunshine being another.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 16/08/2018 at 16:35, JustOneCornetto said:
The Truman Show - DVD
Still looks good and my favourite Peter Weir film. Jim Carrey is really good and this is arguably his best performance.
8.5/10

Have you watched The Majestic? He's very good in that as well. A serious role. I think he gets a bit of stick for only being a comedy actor but any 'serious' film I've seen him in he's been convincing. Eternal Sunshine being another.

I think Jim Carrey was looked upon as another Tom Hanks as moving from comedy to"serious" but some of the films he was in were at best average....Number 23 sticks in my mind as fairly honking.

The Meg - as others have mentioned, probably the best film about Jason Statham fighting a shark that you'll see this year.

Yeah, it gets a pass, but did feel like a bit of a missed opportunity. In terms of quality, somewhere between Deep Blue Sea and those SyFy Channel shitfests starring people like Hulk Hogan's daughter. TBH, it'd probably be completely uninteresting without The Stath. Also had a weird quality I've noticed with Chinese-American co-productions where it feels like the script has been assembled by committee.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Jim Carrey seemed to f**k his straight acting career with the amusing numerology film that he was terrible in.

I've just read that his next gig is Dr Robotnik in a Sonic the Hedgehog live action film  :lol:

On 8/13/2018 at 15:58, Dindeleux said:

Watched Hannibal the other day.

It was ok but not on the same level as Silence of the Lambs. Brain eating scene at the end particularly gruesome.

I read years ago that Thomas Harris deliberately wrote Hannibal to be as difficult to translate to the screen as possible, including the OTT gore and original ending, which would probably have had fans of the Silence movie up in arms. Better ending than the one they changed it to, though.

5 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Theatre of Blood is really good stuff, if a bit on the hokey side, but most of the British horror stuff around that time was the same so ye canny really grumble.

Agreed. I quite like 60s/70s British horror films. Psychomania and The Witchfinder General are particular favourites. I may have to dig them out and watch them again soon...

watched St Vincent tonight.

Bill Murray plays an alcoholic, gambling, hooker loving, Vietnam veteran who starts to look after his neighbours kid. typical heart warming story of grumpy loner who is touched (now now!) by the young boy after teaching the young boy the ways of the world.

generally quite a poor film but Sir Bill Murray is in it so of course it cant be completely terrible.

5/10

eta away to watch Zombieland. seen it a few times but Bill Murray is excellent in his cameo

I really enjoyed seeing that at the cinema but for some reason have had no interest in ever watching it again. Clearly didn't make a lasting impression. Think I gave it 9 on this thread so I'll need to give it another look.
which one?

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:35, JustOneCornetto said:
The Truman Show - DVD
8.5/10

Haven't seen that but reading about it on IMDB it sounds right up my street. I'll put in on my list of 'must see'.

Mission impossible: Fallout - 8.5/10.
Love the MI series and thought this looked great but it was way better than I could have thought. Really enjoyed it.
im surprised at the amount of love for the new Mission Impossible film. i havent enjoyed one since the second one so was going to give this one a swerve. reckon ill have to give it a go now

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:
2 hours ago, 11thHour said:
Mission impossible: Fallout - 8.5/10.
Love the MI series and thought this looked great but it was way better than I could have thought. Really enjoyed it.

im surprised at the amount of love for the new Mission Impossible film. i havent enjoyed one since the second one so was going to give this one a swerve. reckon ill have to give it a go now

The only MI film I wasn't fussed on was 3...  I'd say the rest have been pretty consistently good.