What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Path Of Blood.....8/10.

Documentary about Saudi authorities crackdown on Al Qaeda cells during 2003 to 2009. Half the footage is from videos shot by the terrorists themselves and subsequently recovered which shows them to be a bunch of naive amateurs albeit murderous savages. The rest of the footage is from the Saudi security services and news reports. Pretty graphic throughout  and sometimes easy to forget it's all actually real. 

(113-116)

In Which We Serve 5/10

1942 propaganda film about the navy directed by David Lean AND Noel Coward, starring Noel Coward and written by Noel Coward, christ. I suppose one thing I like about the artistic end of British war propaganda is it didn’t shy away from death. The story here begins with Noel Coward’s ship engaged in battle off Crete and get bombed and thrown overboard. The different sailors have flashbacks to Britain and their story in the navy of how they got to this moment: marriages, pregnant loves left at home, turbulence, love of queen and country etc. It’s a well made film but it’s slight and Noel Coward’s vision of the navy is run like a kitchen in Downton Abbey, a few peppy educated prigs browbeating some plucky plebs. Couple of unintentional laughs as well that undercut what are meant to be the serious moments of the film. It was fine. (DVD)

A Ghost Story 4/10

Trying to catch up on some of last years films, from the annual ILX poll, that I missed. Seen this one on Netflix so watched it. Included some really shit earnest indietronica songs. 

Kronos 3/10

American sci-fi about a giant robot that lands on earth. Terrible script, awful acting, on a Plan 9 From Out Of Space. BUT the giant robot and most of the effects are brilliant. Would work much better recut as a silent film (although there are some nice moments in the soundtrack). (YouTube)

The Earth Dies Screaming 6/10

British sci-fi/horror. Based in a village where the only survivors of a nationwide gas attack hold on in an inn and try to survive an alien attack. A very interesting production with more nuance and subtlety than the b-movie production values at first suggest. A precursor to zombie-genre films and maybe an inspiration for some sections of Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later and a host of other similar horror/sci-fi. Totally let down by the shit robot aliens. Great soundtrack by Elisabeth Lutyens. (YouTube)

Basically, had the special effects team from Kronos had worked on The Earth Dies....you would have something really special. 

Kramer vs Kramer (sky cinema)- terrific performances all round. Thought the kid particularly good. Bit of an abrupt ending. 8/10

The incredibles 2 (cinema) - My kids allow me unashamedly indulge my pixar fandom. This eclipsed the first movie. Plenty of laughs and the action was better than the first too. It's great how they capture the everyday family dynamics in such a ridiculous settings. 9/10.

How It Ends (Netflix 2018) 

It started off so well, an interesting look into the disaster movie, rather that the family or hero surviving everything and riding off into the sunset. 

Instead we look at what's happening elsewhere, and how people affected are coping. 

However, it goes on for about half an hour longer than it should. 

5/10 

On 01/08/2018 at 22:06, Christophe said:

A Ghost Story 4/10

Trying to catch up on some of last years films, from the annual ILX poll, that I missed. Seen this one on Netflix so watched it. Included some really shit earnest indietronica songs. 

I thought it was wonderful, bar the monologue by the fella in dungarees, which spelled things out far too much in a film that had done the opposite up to that point. 

The way the camera stayed fixed for a great length of time while they went about doing very little, without any music too, immersed me in a way that was needed for a film like this. You're supposed to feel like the ghost the entire time, and I think it succeeded in doing that. I was a little put off by the funny aspect ratio to begin with, and I didn't find it wholly necessary, but I suppose it did give a sense of intimacy. 

39 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I thought it was wonderful, bar the monologue by the fella in dungarees, which spelled things out far too much in a film that had done the opposite up to that point. 

The way the camera stayed fixed for a great length of time while they went about doing very little, without any music too, immersed me in a way that was needed for a film like this. You're supposed to feel like the ghost the entire time, and I think it succeeded in doing that. I was a little put off by the funny aspect ratio to begin with, and I didn't find it wholly necessary, but I suppose it did give a sense of intimacy. 

Agreed. I thought it was an incredibly effective movie. Stayed with me for days.

(117-120)

Ant-Man 7/10

Ant-Man and The Wasp 9/10

Last night i went to see Ant-Man and The Wasp in 3D in a double feature with Ant Man. Can’t remember the last time I spent 4 hours having so much fun. The new one seems to have been designed for me. Massive tardigrades, a few references to Baba Yaga, Evangeline Lily, a hilarious running Mozza joke. There’s also Randall Park being FUCKING HILARIOUS, Michelle Pfieffer, Michael Pena being FUCKING HILARIOUS, Walton Goggins being FUCKING HILARIOUS, Hugh from Detectorists with a fucking HILARIOUS running gag about truth serum, a fucking brilliant “villain” and associate in the really hot bad guy chick from Ready Player One and Morpheus, and when you’ve got a movie like Tim Heidecker in it , you can’t lose! Easily the best Marvel film since GOTG. (cinema)

Summer 1993 8/10

Spanish film about a v young girl who’s mum and dad have died (of aids) who then has to go to live with her aunt and uncle in the countryside but really struggles to adjust to and understand her new situation. Subject matter makes it sound really grim but they didn’t play it out like that, the background to it all was v much kept IN the background and it was really just a story of adoption and the issues that come out of being in that postition, both for the child and the aunt and uncle. Can’t recommend it enough, really touching without being mawkish, particularly impressive that it was a debut film for the director. (cinema)

Iceman 5.5/10

Thought this was a really good idea for a film - it was based on the discovery of a well preserved body in the Alps back in the 90s that turned out to be over 5000 years old, thought to be a high altitude shepherd. This film has a go at guessing what the last few days of his life might have been based on evidence found on him (like the arrow in his back and several different people’s blood on his own arrows) and just general history of the era. Really went for authenticity by getting all the characters to speak in the language of the era and not even putting subtitles on it, but unfortunately it did a bit have the feel of a TV movie, bit cheap and not altogether believable so marks lost there. (torrent)

Edited by Christophe

Watched four today:

Horus, Prince of the Sun

Proto-Ghibli film from the late 60's, First time Takahata and Miyazaki worked on a project together. Is directed by the former but feels far more like the latter directed it. European influences in the lore but a more Takahata type of look at some of the social interaction between the titular hero and the community he visits. The animation is bursts is a tad ropey, but it is a 50 year old film, so that's unsurprising. Well worth a watch for Ghibli fans.

8/10

American Wizard: The Wrestler

Based on the true story of an Iranian immigrant who took the college wrestling scene in America by storm after escaping his homeland during the war. Cliche heavy. William Fitchtner looks like a beaten man in it.

5/10

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Enjoyable western that is pretty much built around the chemistry between Shirley MacLaine and Clint. 

7/10

Birth of a Nation

There's a story that needs to be told in this, but the way this is put together is so heavy handed and so biased towards the main character that you lose interest in him early on. His wife gets beaten and sexually assaulted but the film takes pains to show how the suffering is all for him, not the victim. Not sure how they got Arnie Hammer into this.

4/10

Edited by Comrie

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Enjoyable western that is pretty much built around the chemistry between Shirley MacLaine and Clint. 

My school had a film club (in the days before video) and advertised this film one week. One guy got really excited because he'd heard there were sex scenes in it.

Turned out he'd confused it with 'The Killing of Sister George'!

Ant Man & The Wasp

7/10 - Great film. Paul Rudd was as funny as ever, and Evangeline Lilly was fantastic as the Wasp. I didn't feel that there was a great threat in the film so that lowers my score a bit , but I suppose the main point was trying to get the mother out of the quantum realm. Enjoyable film, not as good as the first though. 

A few good men.

Watched this on Friday night, stellar cast and some good acting. Demi Moore in an officers outfit makes it worth watching regardless.

:lol:

Hard Target

Van Damme in a joke of a film. Hasn’t aged well. I’d imagine if I’d watched it when I was 12 I would have thought it was great.

Why did the guy with the money belt not just throw money at folk to save himself? Why did Van Damme happen to randomly have an uncle in the woods?

Ant Man and the Wasp

This was fun. Like last time, it's the visual jokes that make the most impact. But on the more serious side of the things, the main plot was excellent I thought and it felt like they threw the baddies in there because the movie needed baddies. That stuff seemed out of place despite them giving some good moments.

7/10