What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The 12th Man.
Norwegian film with English subtitles but don't let that put you off. True story from WW2 when 12 Norwegians are trained in Britain and sail to Norway to sabbotage the occupying Nazi infrastructure. They are rumbled before they land and 11 are captured while the 12th Man escapes and tries to make his way to neutral Sweden while being hunted by the Germans. Stunning visuals which remind me of the Revanent and must have been arduous for the cast and crew alike.....8/10.
Where did you see this? Sounds pretty good.

5 hours ago, spud131 said:
Where did you see this? Sounds pretty good.

Terrarium bud. I was browsing IMDB for Beirut or summat and it came up in the section that suggests you might like these. It was the fact it was true which grabbed my interest.

The Oscar nominated Nine Lives(1957) told the same story but it seems Jan Sigurd Baalsrud  wasn't happy that it didn't recognise the efforts of his rescuers. I might check that out soon.

Edited by jimmy boo

Seven Days in Entebbe

Dramatization of the hijacking of an airliner and the subsequent hostage crisis. 

It was reasonably well acted and well made though it didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know. It tried to be arty with this really ropey subplot about a soldier's missus training to be a dancer, which added precisely f**k all to the film. Overall the hostage situation wasn't as menacing or claustrophobic as it could have been and the climax wasn't particularly exciting.

It held my attention but that's about it.

5/10

Just watched 15 minutes of The Green Hornet. 

I've now got cancer.

Still going to top myself to escape the memory of those 15 minutes though.

Suicide by AIDS. 

Bad yins.
that must be the only film that makes the green lantern look not bad. it should have a health warning attached

(94-97)

LA Story 7/10

Seen a few times before and fancied a re-watch, think this Woody Allen-esque weird romance is lightly underrated and even though some of the surreal side-sketches go too far (like when Patrick Stewart plays a bank manager who is assessing Steve Martin to decide whether he is esteemed and rich enough to eat in a certain restaurant) there’s loads of good jokes that I didn’t notice the first however many times I saw it ie:

Person: So why have you come to LA?

Victoria Tennant: I’m writing a piece about LA for The Times

Steve Martin: Well you’ve come to the right place

Probably doesn’t scream hilarious on paper but there’s an understatement that gets you through it, also Richard E Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker are very good in it. (DVD)

Super Troopers 2 9/10

If you haven’t seen the first one don’t bother. Laughed my arse of at this, not for everyone though. (cinema)

Ocean’s 8 6/10

Heist movie for the w0ke generation, it was fun and stylish, not as fun and stylish as 11 but still. The cast was great, Anne Hathaway was just glorious, they all have a lot of fun, really cool character played by a Chinese-Korean American called Awkwafina (like the water? Idk) who was lots of fun. Like all the heist movies there is so much that needs to fall into place for the plan to work and in this case it all happens even more swimmingly than usual but it’s ok beacuse that’s what you get. Even James Cordon was tolerable and even had the best line. Worth a watch. (cinema)

Hereditary 7.5/10

Pretty daft in places and it’s a shame it didn’t leave things more open to interpretation as it would have been a more satisfying film for me but there was still a lot of stuff to enjoy here so...GOOD film, probably not quite worthy of all the hype it’s getting but plenty to like about it. Colette and the little girl were both brilliant. (cinema)

Tag -- Based on a true story about a bunch of pals have been playing the same game of Tag / Tig for the last thirty years. I didn't hold out much hope for it going in and I didn't feel a whole lot about it 100 minutes later. It was an okay way to pass some time. 5/10.

Here's the WSJ article that inspired the movie: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323375204578269991660836834

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Can be taken a couple of ways - if you switch off and just enjoy it, it's a good fun action film. If you concentrate on all the plot points, and the convenient nature of a number of the occurrences, it's a brilliant spoof on the action-adventure genre.

Would watch again.

(98)

Flatliners (2017) 3.7/10

It’s on Sky so I watched it for nowt. First of all, absolutely got slated, 5% tomatoes ffs! But it’s not even close to being that bad. I like how quickly it cut to the chase, 5 mins in or something and they’re flatlining, boom! “I need to flatline for a reason and I need a team” says the main one, everyone’s like “ok mate what do I have to do?”

What I don’t get is why it has to go the route it does, there’s a much more interesting story if they didn’t make it into a weird Final Destination type horror. Ellen Page is in it and you like her don’t you! There’s a Spanish actor as well who is really good. James Norton plays a Scot and even he’s ok. I mean it’s not a 5% movie, i’d say 37% or so (that sounds fairly scientifically worked out...*amends score out of ten*).

Also there’s a cameo and you WON’T BELIEVE WHO IT IS/YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY GUESS WHO IT IS.

The First Purge 
Another solid entry to the series. Not much brains required and it's all very predictable but it goes by at a good pace and creates some decent moments.
6/10

I just watched it as well. 1/10 for me because I desperately wanted the wee boy to die, and he didn’t.

9 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

For Your Eyes Only

James Bond manages to be both impossibly cool and a bit of an arse at the same time. Every box is ticked: glamourous locations, beautiful women, improbable stunts, corny one-liners  and evil henchmen. 

Entertaining  nonsense.

7/10

JACOBA BRINK!!

(99)

Tag 8/10

Went to see beacuse no football. Really nice film, the set up is it’s based on a Wall Street Journal story about guys in their 40s who’ve been playing a game of tag every May since they were kids, Hawkeye has never been tagged and he’s getting married on the 31st May and then he’s retiring, Don Draper is a big shot business executive and the Journal is doing a piece on his company and the journo gets caught up in the game.  Nick from New Girl is a stoner wreck, Andy Bernard from the office is a bit of a mummy’s boy who’s married to Shannon from Home and Away, and Hannibal Buress is Hannibal Buress, they all team up determined to tag Hawkeye before the end of the wedding. It’s really a story about friendship and growing up and growing apart and there is a lot of emotional heft to it, but there are about four or five of the biggest belly laughs i can ever remember having at a film, this was properly properly fucking hilarious. TW- 

There are two fucking AMAZING miscarriage jokes that I felt really bad for laughing at but they had me laughing like a drain for like 30 seconds at least.

(cinema)

The First Purge 
Another solid entry to the series. Not much brains required and it's all very predictable but it goes by at a good pace and creates some decent moments.
6/10
The Purge feels wasted a a film series. There's so much they can do with it but they barely scratch the surface. It should have been a TV series imo.