What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

My Generation

Michael Caine narrates this feature length documentary about 1960s music, fashion and pop culture. I quite like the whole "swinging London" thing so I enjoyed it even though it didn't teach me anything I didn't know already. There were the usual references to mini skirts and the Rolling Stones, Mods and Rockers etc.

A decent wee film

7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey (GFT)
50 years on and this film still has that wow factor, absolutely stunning. Can't wait for the unrestored 70mm print to be screened in September.
Have you watched 13 Reasons Why recently?

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, JustOneCornetto said:
2001: A Space Odyssey (GFT)
50 years on and this film still has that wow factor, absolutely stunning. Can't wait for the unrestored 70mm print to be screened in September.

Have you watched 13 Reasons Why recently?

No, so haven't a clue what the connection is. It's been recommended to me especially for the soundtrack so might watch it when a couple of my current binges have finished.

Re-watched 'Heat' on Netflix which I thought was a great film when I saw it as a teenager in the 90's.  I thought it was really boring, completely devoid of any wit or humour to lighten up how boring the story is.  It was a disappointment, Micheal Mann's films tend to be a bit mediocre. Quality ponytail from Val Kilmer though. 5/10

The Blues Brothers (Netflix)

Just back from Chicago and the wife had never seen it. First time I’ve watched it in years and it remains brilliantly entertaining, with one of the greatest soundtracks in cinema history. A delight.

Solo.

A fan letter to the Star Wars genre. Donald Glover is great, Emilia Clarke isn’t. She really is rotten at acting. The guy playing Solo plays Harrison Ford but less so. Perfectly acceptable. There’s a cracking 90 minute film in there, but runs at more than two. Decent afternoon’s entertainment but no more. 5/10.

Edit: not that it should be a surprise to anyone, but there’s either a pointless sequel on the way or another spin off with most of the same characters.

Edited again: the baddy is lame.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Solo.

A fan letter to the Star Wars genre. Donald Glover is great, Emilia Clarke isn’t. She really is rotten at acting. The guy playing Solo plays Harrison Ford but less so. Perfectly acceptable. There’s a cracking 90 minute film in there, but runs at more than two. Decent afternoon’s entertainment but no more. 5/10.

Edit: not that it should be a surprise to anyone, but there’s either a pointless sequel on the way or another spin off with most of the same characters.

Edited again: the baddy is lame.

Saw it earlier, you're absolutely spot on.

On 01/06/2018 at 21:37, Swordfishtrombone said:

Re-watched 'Heat' on Netflix which I thought was a great film when I saw it as a teenager in the 90's.  I thought it was really boring, completely devoid of any wit or humour to lighten up how boring the story is.  It was a disappointment, Micheal Mann's films tend to be a bit mediocre. Quality ponytail from Val Kilmer though. 5/10

Heat was a remake of an earlier Michael Mann film LA Takedown. Worth a look if you can find it. Kind of like Manhunter and Red Dragon. 

(87)

Hors Satan 7/10

French mystery drama about a strange drifter living on the edge of a small rural community. 

Symbolism heavy (it is French) and director Bruno Dumont absolutely loves weird looking people, gives this drama set in an unglamorous but strangely beautiful part of N France a depressed edge. 

Tiptoes on the line between realism (no music, lots of natural sound, amateur acting, a real place) and the supernatural (main guy seems to have strange powers) in a way that will leave popcorn classics fans annoyed or puzzled. 

There is one scene that is pure paedo bait but on the whole an interesting piece about death and nature and superstition. (BFIPlayer)

(88)

The Raven 8/10

Bella Lugosi and Boris Karloff star in the Poe inspired story abaout a surgeon who goes mental because of beautiful ballet dancer. Lugosi is charming and menacing while Karloff gives a stunning performance as a disfigured hoodlum. The few comedic sections a little dated and cheesy, but there are some moments of genuine terror. (DailyMotion)

The Brits are coming (SKY)

Lots of familiar faces but really disappointing movie, Tim Roth and Uma Thurman are a married couple of con artists (I think) who rip off a crime boss and go to America to hide or gamble or steal or god knows really, it's a caper romp type of film and these types of movies are all about balance ,this one isn't smart enough to be stylish or funny enough to be light hearted so just ends up a touch messy, Roth's character is a bit shite for the most part, Uma looks hot as hell until she speaks .A few decent bits but 3/10

Cargo (Netflix)

Zombie apocalypse type flick set in Australia, Netflix own, Martin Freeman in the lead role as the  dad trying to save his baby daughter. It's bleak and don't expect endless Walking Dead style fight scenes or World war Z type effects, This is based very much on the human effort to survive in a race against time.personally loved it ,Freeman was superb in the lead role , there'are some excellent supporting characters as well. It has a kind of Danny Boyle-esque feel to it (no bad thing). Really good.9/10.

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Journey's End

A young officer arrives in the trenches on the western front in 1918. Slow moving but tense with a rather  uncomfortable sense of doom.

I can't think of many decent films set in ww1 but this was one of the betters ones that I've seen.

7/10

I've yet to see anything with Toby Jones that isn't first class.  Very much looking forward to seeing this.