What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Atomic Blonde (SKY)

A great cast ,a brilliant setting and some superb action/fight scenes means we should be talking about a cracker... Sadly the script and plot let it down and the neon punk thing could have either done better or not at all... wasn't keen on the soundtrack. Still a perfectly watchable 6/10 but could and maybe should have been more.

1 hour ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Atomic Blonde (SKY)

A great cast ,a brilliant setting and some superb action/fight scenes means we should be talking about a cracker... Sadly the script and plot let it down and the neon punk thing could have either done better or not at all... wasn't keen on the soundtrack. Still a perfectly watchable 6/10 but could and maybe should have been more.

Took my 90 year old mother to see that when it first came out. From memory I'd agree with you but was relieved to find that we both quite enjoyed the lesbian action.

Atomic Blonde (SKY)

Watched this last night also, on Firestick app. Preposterous nonsense but found myself enjoying it the more it went on. The fight scene in the building when she was trying to spring the East German guy gave the impression of being one take and the following car chase had some stunning camera shots.....stuff which I normally wouldn't notice. I'd agree on 6/10 and that it could've been so much better but glad I gave it a watch.

On 10/08/2017 at 16:13, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Atomic Blonde

Plenty going on in this and enjoyed it. Got a bit fed up with the plot twists so when the last one happened, I'd reached the point of "don't give a f**k". Could have turned out they were all aliens and I'd have bought it at that stage. Other than that, aye, I had fun.

7/10

My own thoughts on it. Don't think it was ever going to be a classic tbh, and a rewatch probably puts it up to an 8 for me as it ticks a lot of the big dumb action boxes, and some of the backstabbing going on is much better on a second watch.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Took my 90 year old mother to see that when it first came out. From memory I'd agree with you but was relieved to find that we both quite enjoyed the lesbian action.

Lezzing it up in average films is always going to bang the score up a bit....see also Klunis and Portman in black swan.

Went to see Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager last night as it was being shown pitch side at Wembley Stadium.

What a film it was, it really highlights what a great man he was and how inspiring he was to some of the biggest names in world football such as Mourinho, Guardiola, Ferguson and Brazilian Ronaldo. There was some really touching moments with Gazza talking about all the support Sir Bobby offered him and how much looked out for him.

Props to Mourinho for his not-so-subtle dig at Cristiano Ronaldo with "then came the real Ronaldo, the best Ronaldo ever" when talking about him arriving at Barca.

10/10

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Cinema)

7/10

I had fairly low expectations for this but it turned out to be pretty enjoyable wee film. 

The major issue was that I still don't really buy Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, and they probably portrayed Han as a little too good at times. The start was pretty poor but once Woody Harrelson and Chewie come along it picks up, and they carry a lot of scenes throughout the film.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Would agree with a lot of that. I thought the boy did quite well with the mannerisms and such but as it’s not Harrison Ford there’s always that wee voice in the back of your head going “that’s not Han Solo”!
Couple of bits also grated with my geekier side and I don’t know where to begin with the hologram message.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Perfectly fine stuff. A lot of the early stuff loses any real bite as it puts Solo and Chewie in mortal danger and we know how that turns out. But it gets going and turns into a real fun movie. Thought Solo was terrific. He was never supposed to be the Solo now. It's more of a look at how he got there and there's definitely enough. 

Bettany put in a decent performance to make the best of a fairly shit baddie as well.

8/10

War of the Planet of the Apes(SKY)

Lots of great stuff mixed in with  a bit that doesn't quite hit the mark,Serskis is outstanding as usual as is the "Bad Ape"character played by Steve Zahn. Woody Harrelson does well as the Appocolypse now commander,lots of nods to that film which isn't a bad thing and completely deliberate. Loved the ending in particular...8/10

The Living Daylights 

This film had been bugging me for a while as I knew, despite seeing every other Bond film numerous times, that I had never seen the start of this particular film and that it was our introduction to 'the Welsh one'.  First time I'd gone into a shop to buy a physical DVD for a long time (whopping £5.99)

What I never realised was that because it's quite long, I'd only previously seen the last 20% of it when they're in Afghanistan, so it was a pleasant surprise t see 1.5 hrs of unseen Bond (effectively an entire new film) that I never knew existed. 

Wasn't as 'nasty' as I expected having seen Licence to Kill (particularly that bit where the boy goes through the shredder feet first kicking and screaming with blood splattering everywhere) with this one retaining some Moore-level cheese like cello sledging, so I'll give it a 6.5/10 (despite the boring and underwhelming final scene / end title song). 

Edited by Hedgecutter
License v Licence #stopgettingbondwrong

The Bad Batch

Tedious hipster pish about a woman who is banished into a lawless penal colony where she encounters cannibals and all manner of degenerates. It looks good, has a decent soundtrack and there are a couple of WTF moments but it generally just plods along slowly and peters out into utter pointlessness. 

3/10

Solo: A Starwars Story

I thought it was good fun.  A good heist movie that explains the back story linking Han, Chewie and Lando.  They also saved one of George Lucas' mistakes in the original film by thinking a parsec was a unit of time.  Explained that well, and I loved the Sabacc scenes. 8/10

Spoiler

A very nice cameo from Darth Maul, who I was thinking as I was watching would be the head of a crime syndicate at the time.  For those that didn't know in the Clone Wars TV series he survived his light sabre duel on Naboo with Obi-Wan, and becomes obsessed with vengeance.  They finally have their last duel on Tattooine, which was shown in the Rebels TV show.

It allows them to make Maul the main antagonist in any Obi-Wan spin off, or the villain in any Han sequel.

Edited by Loki

Solo: A Starwars Story
I thought it was good fun.  A good heist movie that explains the back story linking Han, Chewie and Lando.  They also saved one of George Lucas' mistakes in the original film by thinking a parsec was a unit of time.  Explained that well, and I loved the Sabacc scenes. 8/10
Spoiler  A very nice cameo from Darth Maul, who I was thinking as I was watching would be the head of a crime syndicate at the time.  For those that didn't know in the Clone Wars TV series he survived his light sabre duel on Naboo with Obi-Wan, and becomes obsessed with vengeance.  They finally have their last duel on Tattooine, which was shown in the Rebels TV show.
It allows them to make Maul the main antagonist in any Obi-Wan spin off, or the villain in any Han sequel.

How did he survive the lightsaber duel when he was cut in half. That’s more than a flesh wound you know.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Enjoyed this a lot.  Much more than I thought I was going to.  It's a huge amount of fun and they get the bickering and banter between Han and Chewie just right.  Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover are also very good, but Emilia Clarke really isn't a very good actress, she's easily the worst thing about it.

8/10

(85-86)

Solo: A War of the Stars Episode 9/10

I bloody loved this, I thought they absolutely nailed it. The whole cast was fantastic. Ehrenreich was NOT a facsimile of Ford but isn’t that what you want for someone 15 years younger? Donald Glover was charming and pansexual, Woody Harrelson was perfect as the smuggler Han joins up with, Paul Bettany as the villain was BRILLIANT (he always is), even Emilia Clarke (who is cancer on film) seemed pretty well cast as Han’s love interest. There was a hilarious K2-S0 type robot character, voiced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge (ymmv) who was all like “equal rights for robots!” and I absolutely loved everything about her. Obviously in a prequel there’s a lot of totally needless retconning, how Han got his blaster, the bet that won him the Falcon, how he met Chewie, the 12 parsec Kessel run - but none of it felt forced and it all contributed to the story in one way or another. It rattled along at a good old pace and had some really thrilling edge of the seat segments. If I had a couple of criticisms it would be that the cinematography was too dark, made it hard to make some details out at times, and there’s a horrible, horrible scene where Han, previously without any other name, gets given the name Solo. But overall I was grinning ear to ear all the way through and I think it’s my favourite of the new Disney Star Wars films. 2D beacuse 3D is officially bollocks. (cinema)

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles 7.5/10

This makes your average art house fayre look like Ace Ventura Pet Detective. 3 hours of watching a woman go about her daily routine over the course of 3 days, nothing happens and everything happens. Oh and she’s a prossie. There are some sublime moments that give an elightening glimpse into the human condition, little things you might think are nothing but carry huge cache, a line like “I’d be lost without him” in regard to her son, where the reality is very much the opposite, we often do that in life don’t we? Say the opposite to what we really know to be true. Some of the best washing up in cinema. (Vimeo)

Anon

One of these Sky Cinema exclusives.  Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried.  

A really interesting idea about where the natural conclusion of our obsession with social media, technology and sharing every aspect of our life will lead.  

If anything the concept of the film is let down by the fairly bog standard whodunnit attached to it.  Worth a watch if you're at a loose end. 

6/10

Edited by KnightswoodBear