What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not seen it but if it beats the Batman films (it won't B)) it must be a cracker.

I'd imagine WW being the best DC film refers to the DCEU from Man of Steel onwards.

WW is easily the best of those, but doesn't touch the Nolan trilogy or Burton's Batman/Returns

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd imagine WW being the best DC film refers to the DCEU from Man of Steel onwards.

WW is easily the best of those, but doesn't touch the Nolan trilogy or Burton's Batman/Returns

Aye that's what I meant. As you say they can't touch those films

Love, Simon - 9/10

An absolute joy of a film. The 1 hour 50 minutes absolutely flew by.

Top performance from Nick Robinson and a good ensemble to boot.

It’s a proper feel good film without being OTT so would highly recommend it.

Will need to dig out the novel it’s based on to see how much of it made it to the big screen.

7 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Love, Simon - 9/10

An absolute joy of a film. The 1 hour 50 minutes absolutely flew by.

Top performance from Nick Robinson and a good ensemble to boot.

It’s a proper feel good film without being OTT so would highly recommend it.

Will need to dig out the novel it’s based on to see how much of it made it to the big screen.

Coming out ^^^^^

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer......6/10

Loosely based on a true story/characters and highly recommended by Sunday Times. Looks very dated now and obviously very low budget. Pretty gory and intense at times but disappointing overall.

Given what seems to be unfolding in the Middle East, I thought it was appropriate to give Threads (1984) a revisit.

Yeah, it's a bit dated but it may well be prophetic. Replace Iran with Syria and it could easily be a documentary of what we could face in the next month or so.

A remastered edition of the DVD has just been released.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Given what seems to be unfolding in the Middle East, I thought it was appropriate to give Threads (1984) a revisit.

Yeah, it's a bit dated but it may well be prophetic. Replace Iran with Syria and it could easily be a documentary of what we could face in the next month or so.

A remastered edition of the DVD has just been released.

I love Threads. I would have been about 8 or 9 when it was on. My dad let me stay up to watch it and I was too scared to go bed afterwards. Very powerful, despite the low budget...

On 10/04/2018 at 00:36, jimmy boo said:

Loosely based on a true story/characters and highly recommended by Sunday Times. Looks very dated now and obviously very low budget. Pretty gory and intense at times but disappointing overall.

Michael Rooker from The Walking Dead amongst other things played the lead role.

Years since i've watched him but had a low budget B movie feel about it. 

The Big Sick(Amazon Prime) A Judd Apatow film  It is probably technically a romantic comedy which is the worst genre of films. It was excellent, it's the Asian guy from Silicon Valley who also wrote it and is about his relationship with an American girl, the culture clash, her getting sick and his subsequent conflict and  bonding with her parents while she is ill. Sounds awful but it is a really good low key film with some really funny bits amongst the drama.  Ray Romano's performance is a revelation as the girlfriends father. I hated his sitcom but he is tremendous in this film.

9/10

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

Isle of Dogs -- Finally got round to seeing this one. It was decent entertainment and for the most part beautifully animated. Couldn't work out why some of the shots were set up the way they were, with just the head of the character popping up at the bottom of the frame. But the storyline was easy on the brain and the Japanese culture, or Wes Anderson's imagining of Japanese culture, was pretty interesting. I guess I expected a bit more from it, or for it to linger beyond the walk back to the car. Not bad by any means. Not great either. 5/10

On 4/9/2018 at 19:36, jimmy boo said:

This is a great example of what you can do with practically no money. One actress played something like four parts. The cast provided their own wardrobe because there was no budget. Extras were mostly actually pedestrians going about their day. 

The Devil Rides Out

Absolutely loved this. One of those ones where I'd been planning on watching it for ages and hadn't gotten round to it. I like how it starts with a very simple premise and then just goes deeper and deeper into the horror. There's some shaky moments with the effects, but I'd say that's understandable.

9/10

The Devil Rides Out
Absolutely loved this. One of those ones where I'd been planning on watching it for ages and hadn't gotten round to it. I like how it starts with a very simple premise and then just goes deeper and deeper into the horror. There's some shaky moments with the effects, but I'd say that's understandable.
9/10

Along with Witchfinder General, probably my favourite Hammer.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Along with Witchfinder General, probably my favourite Hammer.

Aye, that is a fantastic movie as well. I'm gonna have to do a run through of a load of old hammer movies at one point. So many that I haven't seen yet.

A Quiet Place -- I can't think of a recent horror movie that's so unrelentingly tense and frankly terrifying as this. And usually once you see the creature, it loses its power but this one somehow managed to retain its scare value. Brilliantly done. 9/10