What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A Quiet Place - 4/10

I'll go against the grain and say it was rubbish. A reasonable idea but I found it very dull, and (without going into spoilers) various “why would they not just do *this*” type issues. Don’t get the fuss about it at all.

Went with four other people, none of whom thought much of it either.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

19 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

A Quiet Place - 4/10

I'll go against the grain and say it was rubbish. A reasonable idea but I found it very dull, and (without going into spoilers) various “why would they not just do *this*” type issues. Don’t get the fuss about it at all.

Went with four other people, none of whom thought much of it either.

If you thought A Quiet Place was bad, you should try watching Truth or Dare. Truly woeful stuff. 

I would agree that A Quiet Place is getting a much easier time that it really should be getting though. It's decent but I left the cinema feeling like it wasted a pretty good idea and concept. I'd say underwhelming rather than rubbish.

The only real complaint about A Quiet Place I had (well, okay, I had two ... maybe three) was given the situation they were in, it was ridiculously irresponsible for John Krasinski to get Emily Blunt knocked up. I'd be like, "Look, Emily Blunt. I don't care how much you want it. It's either up the bum or nothing, love."

FWIW. #2 was the lingering shot on a nail in the floorboard, #3 was the last five seconds.

Other than that, I thought it was a triumph.

Edited by MSU

Ghost Stories 8/10

Didn’t have particularly high expectations going into this, even though I knew it was adapted from a critically-acclaimed stage play.  One glance at the cast list, an underwhelming bunch of British comedy and character actors - Paul Whitehouse, Martin Freeman - made me think it was likely to be a bit rubbish. Wrong. That was the point. It played like a satire of post-Brexit Britain - dismal grey skies, dreary pubs, abandoned buildings, parochial caravan parks, jaundiced humour and barely-suppressed racism combined to create a menacing, hopeless atmosphere. The experience is not unlike a creaky ghost train ride at a crap British seaside town.  A cinematic kindred spirit of  Banksy’s Dismaland. Kudos to directors Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson. Look forward to seeing what they do next.

Edited by Frankie S

Swingers

1996, Vince Vaughn looking unbelievably skinny. Great soundtrack. Can't honestly say I loved it (maybe a bit too old to relate to the guys on the prowl stuff) but it's clearly very influential. Ditch one of the guys, throw in a pretty girl instead and some song and dance routines and you've got LaLa Land. 

Glad to have watched it anyway - 7/10. 

Blockers -- 7/10. Surprised by how much I enjoyed this and how, despite the premise, it has a really good heart. Kinda like a Superbad but with lassies. Top turns from John Cena and Geraldine Viswanathan who plays his daughter. I was really lucky in the showing I went to because the guy behind me was kind enough to repeat all the funny lines just in case I missed them the first time round.

Alien Covenant

Better than Prometheus, but still pish.  Full of nondescript characters doing stupid things in order to advance the plot.  Lots of exposition to try and stop the viewer becoming totally lost.

Michael Fassbender is the best thing in it in a dual role, but Ridley Scott seems intent on totally messing up the mythology of his creation.  Also, after not having an "Alien" in the last film he seems to be saying this time "WOO HOO, PROPER ALIENS!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT, ISN'T IT??!!"

4/10

1 hour ago, Crroma said:

Alien. Aliens. Classic. I can do without the rest.

I will (and have in the past) argue that Alien 3 is under rated.  Not a patch on the first two, but tries something different.  The (not really) Directors Cut of it is fantastic. 

Right...quite a hefty catch up needed here....

(52-58)

Blockers 7/10

Went to see this cos it was free, the refurbed screens have got new recliner seats (honestly I would pay £18 a month just to go and sit in one of those bad boys for two hours a couple of times a week), it’s got John Cena in it and I had nothing at home to cook for tea. I was really surprised by how good it was! It’s a bit like American Pie but it’s about the parents rather than the kids, but it was funny, smart, touching, subvertive, well paced with some great comedic turns and some real laugh out loud moments and lines. Really enjoyed it, f**k you. (cinema)

Ghost Stories 6/10

Prettttttay daft, basically a feature length Inside No.9, quite entertaining in places though tbf in particular the opening story with Paul Whitehouse (Paul Whitehouse really is a v good actor, although especially when you put him up against Martin Freeman). (cinema)

Jaws 10/10

Still fucking brilliant. (Netflix)

Dazed & Confused 9/10

Still probably the best of the aimless teen slacker films. (Netflix)

A Quiet Place 9/10

Fuckinell. I normally can’t be doing with horrors but this felt more like a tense thriller with monsters. Just utterly captivated all the way through, a brilliant brilliant film. A few little problematic plot points made the whole premise slightly hard to buy into at times but if you just go with it it’s not a problem. Amazing performances from Kasinksi and Blunt. Beautiful music and cinematography. Incredible use of silence. (cinema)

120BPM 8/10

Thought this was a pretty amazing film for the most part, not easy to do that sort of telling a political and a personal story at the same time without compromising one or the other but I thought this did it really deftly. Surprising (or not very) how little this era has really featured that much in mainstream-ish film. To have been caught up as a gay man in that period between AIDS appearing and govts getting a grip on warning people about it (something that seemed to have happened particularly late in France from what this film was saying) must have been completely terrifying...watching your friends dying one by one and wondering if you were next...and thought this did a great (and pretty hard to watch in places) job of conveying some of that. Probably could have done without the prettttay graphic bumming/wanking off scenes tbh but I guess you got to say fair enough to have all that in there really, I guess you got to say that. (Curzon)

Fargo 9/10

Good, yah. (Netflix)