What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Unsane -- Passable psychological thriller from Steven Soderbergh in which a woman is tricked into committing herself into a mental hospital. She'd had a stalker in previous years and when she sees him working in the hospital, we're left wondering if she really is mad. Claire Foy out of off of The Crown is the lead and she's very good. The storyline, as has been the case quite frequently recently, doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny, and after 50 or so minutes of Matt Damon free viewing, when Matt Damon inexplicably shows up, it's difficult not to spend the next ten minutes wondering why Matt Damon is in this movie, and the next 50 minutes wondering if he's going to show up again. Spoiler: He doesn't. Oh, and it was filmed on an iPhone, so cue lots of weird camera angles. It was okay. It was fine. 6/10

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House - 2/10 (cinema)

Liam Neeson acts all Liam Neeson-y in the true story of Mark Felt, the FBI agent who helped expose the Watergate scandal. It's an absolute slog to watch, and the dialogue is poor, which is suicide for a film which relies so heavily on it. 

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House - 2/10 (cinema)
Liam Neeson acts all Liam Neeson-y in the true story of Mark Felt, the FBI agent who helped expose the Watergate scandal. It's an absolute slog to watch, and the dialogue is poor, which is suicide for a film which relies so heavily on it. 

Also: All The President’s Men tells the same story much more interestingly, albeit from a different point of view.

(47-48)

Defiance 9/10

Excellent but draining. A great “what would I have done” film. Tough people. (iplayer)

The Lair of the White Worm 6/10

Ridiculous/campy, but ultimately enjoyable Ken Russell folk horror. Do you want to see Malcolm Tucker wearing a sporran in a face off against the rancor handler armed with nothing but a set of bagpipes? Then this is the film for you. (Amazon Shudder)

(49)

Pacific Rim 2: Rim Harder 4/10

Probably the second best film in the Pacific Rim universe. It rattles along at such a frenetic pace that you don’t even notice that nothing makes any sense, Charlie Day gives it the full Charlie Kelly and John Boi-Jaeger continues to impress with his charisma and enthusiasm. The mini-Jaeger is also pretty cool! (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

Pacific Rim is a strange one. I've been in a room with it on, my eyes were pointed at the film for the duration, I wasnt asleep or on drugs or anything but at no point could I describe myself as having watched it

(49)
Pacific Rim 2: Rim Harder 4/10
Probably the second best film in the Pacific Rim universe. It rattles along at such a frenetic pace that you don’t even notice that nothing makes any sense, Charlie Day gives it the full Charlie Kelly and John Boi-Jaeger continues to impress with his charisma and enthusiasm. The mini-Jaeger is also pretty cool! (cinema)

Sums it up well, first film had Del Toros charm to it while this was just standard action sequel. Also felt like they were trying to rush through too many stories in the first half to get ready for the big fight scenes .

Veronica 6/10

Not bad. But not scary as I was expecting. Perhaps the usual media hype but I'd read this was so scary that folk couldn't get to the end of it. It had a couple of freaky moments but no jump scenes and no real horror for me. It doesn't come close to The Conjuring. Having said that, it wasn't a bad story and as it was based on true events it added to it somewhat. I absolutely loved the directing though. I enjoy films where the director is a wee bit quirky and in this there were several instances. It was the best thing about the film for me. It's not a classic but it's far from shite. Worth a watch.

(Netflix)

Tomb Raider - 5.5/10 - Okay movie pretty basic plot but didn't think it dragged on. End of film boss fight pretty underwhelming.

Pacific Rim 2 -  3.0/10  - Load of crap seem to be turning it into some sort of tweeny version of transformers and completely unplausable how they can put stuff together so quickly 

Spoiler

They says the Kaiju goal has not been to attack  cities but they just happen to be on their path to get to that mountain in Japan. So why would they have gone anywhere near San Fransisco in the first movie unless their GPS was wonky. 

Peter rabbit

Took my 5 year old daughter to see this today and actually quite enjoyed it. I laughed out loud to a couple of bits and she laughed quite a lot. She got bored a couple of times when the animals weren't on screen but overall she enjoyed it.

Me 6/10
Daughter 7/10

The Long Good Friday

I thought I'd celebrate Good Friday with this classic British gangster movie. It's dated and its production values are closer to a TV crime show from that era, like "The Sweeney", than a cinematic release, but it is still fucking brilliant. Bob Hoskins is very convincing as the old school cockney villain attempting to embrace the modern age while his empire is being attacked.

8/10

Saturday night-Unsane.
A bit of a ropey plot but it was only 90 odd minutes so not a chore to watch.
Sunday-Enter Player One.
Only went into this as it was starting after we'd been for something to eat.
I'm not sure whether you'd have to be into computer games but it was hard work for me.

(50)

Isle of Dogs 7.5/10

Not sure the story totally worked but there was so much to enjoy in this, more in the small detail than the overarching plot, that I didn’t really care. One of those films that I would prob want to see more than once because the ridiculous amount of stuff going on in it means I probably missed loads. (cinema)

Lovely long flights to and from austin.

outbound:-

Justice League 7/10 - I enjoyed it. Superman just coming back with little fan fare was a bit strange

Dunkirk 3/10 - Hated it. would have prfeed the boats getting together and heading over rather than focusing on one boat and jumping all over the place. Way to much of Branagh staring into space.

3 Billboards 10/10 - Excellent film. It just flew by. I can see why it was up there in the Oscars. can't believe it is a film 4 production.

Shape of water 9/10 - I really thought i would turn this off after 10 minutes but it got me hooked and i ended up loving it. Again i can see why it was favourite for an oscar.

inbound:-

Atomic Blond 7/10 - good film with some excellent Charlize Theron scenes.

Thor: Ragnarok 7/10 - The best Thor film for me. had a good laugh at it.

Darkest Hour 5/10 - it was watchable but i was a bit tired watching it. will probably give it a go again when it is on Sky.

Kingsman 2 5/10 - Not as good as the first one. First one was a surprise how much i enjoyed it, this one was watchable but was never going to be as good.