What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Spectral 5/10?(I guess)

What's the idea with these Netflix films? I mean is anyone paying £7.99 a month on the off chance that Emily Mortimer is going to be in a random film? It's a solid character actor cast and must have cost a lot to make so why do they do it? It's not like the in-house series' that they ad the shit out of and will see sub returns on, I never hear anything about these films

11 minutes ago, Sx Drugz N Martin Jol said:

Is this new star wars film the follow up to force awakens or different all together?

it is set between Revenge of the Sith (Episode 3 or last of the prequels)  and A New Hope (Episode 4 or the !st of the originals) but it is classed as a stand alone film. 

Spoiler Alerts. I watched Sunshine last night. It had passed me by somehow for nearly a decade. It's visuals are stunning. Plot seems believable at first, then as it gets to the final scenes, you find yourself thinking "Aye, like f*** you are going to be able to fly on a nuke into the Sun and then detonate it."

To be honest its storyline is similar to Armageddon but with better visuals and zero humour. I'd give it a 7/10 - it is the plot that is the weakness which lets it down along with a mad villain they seemed to have borrowed from Harry Potter. Acting, directing, cinematography, CGI and sound engineering is all top notch.

Watched Bad Santa 2 in the cinema - read some pretty shit reviews about it but i thought it was quite funny, very crude as you would expect and it was funny seeing that fat kid as a 21 year old and still an absolute rocket. 6.5/10

Also watched 9 Lives in which Kevin Spacey finds himself trapped inside a cat, a completely ridiculous film and at points i was thinking it may be one of the worst efforts I have seen but it provided a few laughs and at least conveyed some sort of message. Nothing that hasn't been done before though. 5/10

On the plane I watched Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters 3. The first was mindlessly entertaining and the second just mindless. Found the Leonard Nimoy homage strangely touching. Found Melissa McCarthy strangely insufferable.

Edit: 6/10 and 2/10 respectively. Ghostbusters gets 2 marks for the blonde and the red head.

On 19/12/2016 at 16:30, Shandon Par said:

Someone really needs to get a properly decent Ellroy adaptation done. The books feel so cinematic but the film adaptions to date don't do them justice. 

I'm sure I read that 'American Tabloid' was possibly getting made into a TV series.  That would be the best way to adapt it, with the megabucks that Amazon and Netflix have they could surely could do a good job of it.

21 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Kevin Spacey trapped inside a cat :lol:

I'm going to have to watch this shit.

That reminds me of an old Spitting Image sketch where they were interviewing Dustin Hoffman:

Q: Dustin, in your new film you play a dog fart and in preparation for the role you spent a week up a dog's arse. Wasn't that uncomfortable?

A: It was for the dog, yes.

Watched a couple of films that have recently been added to Netflix and Amazon:

Bone Tomahawk is a western starring Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson. Russell is the sheriff of a frontier town and Wilson is the injured husband of the towns medicine woman.

The sheriff shoots a drifter who comes into town who just so happens to have pissed off some Indians. The drifter, Wilson's wife and sheriff deputy are all captured, during the night, by the Indians.

Russell, Wilson and two others then set off to get them back. The middle act of the film takes up the duration of the run time and focuses on the four rescuers journey. Considering little happens during this time, I still found it interesting to watch. The four characters are well fleshed out and there is some good back and forth between the four.

The attempted resuce becomes extremely gruesome and is a bit unexpected considering what came before it.

Well worth a watch if you like westerns. 7/10

Hateful Eight is a Taratino film featuring some of his regular actors Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth etc.

Same setting is Bone Tomahawk is except during a snow storm. Jackson and Russell are bounty hunters looking to collect on several wanted they have captured. Jackson has killed all his while Russell's is still alive.

They end up congregating at an inn along with various other characters. They all have things in common but have a deep mistrust of each other. You can see the parallels with The Thing during this film, right down to some of the music from the Thing being played.

Its also worth a watch if you liked the paranoia, distrust element of the Thing and Taratino's over the top style. 7/10.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:
I thought it was pretty solid. The CGI was a bit overwhelming, and it didn't really flow at times, but the main protagonists were all very likeable, and it was a really fun couple of hours. It did seem to focus on franchise-building a lot, but it didn't take away from the story too much.
7/10