Black Ops 2

post-38190-0-60096800-1335952024_thumb.g

Set mostly in 2025 (with a few flashback missions to the eighties), Black Ops II revolves around a new Cold War between the US and China. The two super powers are fighting it out over access to rare earth minerals – vital components in modern technogical necessities like mobile phones – and tensions are mounting.

Meanwhile, a terrorist group led by mysterious antagonist Menendez has managed to hack into America's defense network, taking control of its now vast drone army. Suddenly all those remote control aircraft and formidably armed robot walkers are attacking major US cities – the only hope lies with a hopelessly archaic weapon: human soldiers.

The story is speculative and futuristic, but it seems there are direct narrative links with the first title. The launch trailer is narrated by Frank Woods, the SoG sergeant who appeared to sacrifice himself at the close of the original title. According to game news site CVG, however, the lead playable character is David Mason, son of Alex Mason the ambiguous hero of the first Black Ops. The leaps back to the eighties will include a stint in Afghanistan, as shown in the horse riding section of the reveal trailer.

The key addition seems to be a new branching story structure. Reports from the games press, including IGN, suggest that at certain points in the single-player campaign, players will have to make tactical and perhaps even moral choices, which will lead to different outcomes. Failing certain tasks will have ramifications for the overall battle, and for the fate of key characters, adding to the replay value. It's also possible that, as events unfold, players may have to decide whether they view Menendez as an out-and-out enemy or even as a sympathetic character.

blackops4.gif The campaign is also set to feature Strike Force missions, which work like mini-RTS (real-time strategy) levels. Players are thrust into a sandbox battlefield where they're able to swap control between different units – seemingly including mech walkers, tanks and ground troops – as they coordinate the offensive. It looks like players will get to select different Strike Force missions at different times, adding to the slight non-linearity of the mode.

The zombie survival mode has been a popular element of Treyarch's CoD games for a few years, and there are no words on the latest incarnation – just that there will be one. Multiplayer is also being kept under wraps until E3. Weapons, meanwhile, will strike a balance between familiar modern day models and sci-fi blasters. It looks like one will be a sniper rifle with a sight that lets the user see through walls and a charged shot that fires straight through them as well.

So, this is a Call of Duty game with different story outcomes depending on your actions – not just in terms of choices but in terms of your abilities; it might be that failing certain tasks will have a major outcome on where the plot goes. And even more surprisingly, it's a Call of Duty title with elements of real-time strategy in its campaign mode.

Sure, none of this is exactly revolutionary – the strategy stuff and near-future themes are effectively straying into the path of Ubisoft's more cerebral Ghost Recon series. But this could well be an important step toward altering the now extremely familiar recipe of the CoD brand.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds shit. I think they have Fucked Call of Duty up.

This.

Doesnt sound like a COD game at all really. I like Black Ops a lot, thought everything about it was great and I thought if they ever done a sequel it would be set in the past like the first. Dunno if I like the thought of it being set a good few years into the future of if there's any strategy needed when playing levels, I like COD cause its an out and out shooter.

It looks decent. Although I am not really into shooting things with laser guns! Setting Call of Duty well into the future is not something I would enjoy I don't think. I thought the original black ops multi player was the best of any COD game I have played, I certainly don't like MW3. You could never buy the COD games for the campaign, so I doubt I will actually buy this game. This saddens me as I was looking forward to it.

It looks decent. Although I am not really into shooting things with laser guns! Setting Call of Duty well into the future is not something I would enjoy I don't think. I thought the original black ops multi player was the best of any COD game I have played, I certainly don't like MW3. You could never buy the COD games for the campaign, so I doubt I will actually buy this game. This saddens me as I was looking forward to it.

Yep, I'm the same, cannot imagine playing a COD that is set years in advance. Something like BF3 would have been a bit better, surely?

Still, I'll probably buy it and if it's shit, trade it in.

I only recently got into COD (last year sometime) and have all the MW games, but I've still not got round to getting BLOPS. Is it recommended that I get it before going for Ops 2?

Yep, I'm the same, cannot imagine playing a COD that is set years in advance. Something like BF3 would have been a bit better, surely?

Still, I'll probably buy it and if it's shit, trade it in.

I only recently got into COD (last year sometime) and have all the MW games, but I've still not got round to getting BLOPS. Is it recommended that I get it before going for Ops 2?

To be honest pretty much all Call of Duty games follow the same format. You wouldn't necessarily need to play the first Black Ops to be able to play the sequel. All you do is shoot the bad guys. At least this one seems to be of a less linear story format, with different outcomes depending on your choices. But at the end of the day everyone is just going to be playing multiplayer anyway.

[quote name='Adam' timestamp='1335989460'

I'd recommend it, as I thought the campaign was spectacular, the format of it and the plot were particularly innovative. Plus, as it sounds like BO2 leads on, it'll be handy for you to know the story of the first game. You'll be able to pick it up somewhere for a tenner pre-owned I'd imagine!

It's getting like a sports game, we get a new one every year. Unlike sports games though it's not an improvement each time, it's more throw some new things in and hope they work. I really hate the idea of being given a yearly deadline to come up with a new CoD game instead of coming up with something original/innovative then spending time and effort working on it and producing something worthwhile. This just reeks of desperation tbh.

This. Seems they are trying to crowbar things that worked for another successful franchise (no prizes for guessing) and bringing in this moral/decision making aspect to the game to get players more involved. I know the main focus on COD since 3 was the multiplayer but they really need to take time to sort out the campaign, i actually liked the BOPS campaign but dont tend to play multiplayer too much

It's getting like a sports game, we get a new one every year. Unlike sports games though it's not an improvement each time, it's more throw some new things in and hope they work. I really hate the idea of being given a yearly deadline to come up with a new CoD game instead of coming up with something original/innovative then spending time and effort working on it and producing something worthwhile. This just reeks of desperation tbh.

This, although I'm not sure desperation is the right word. It reeks of them wanting to make money in the easiest way possible.

WaW was my first CoD, i loved it, the campaign was great, zombies was great even the multiplayer was great, but hackers f**k it up. Hated MW2, Black ops was ok multiplayer was good campaign was a bit shitty, in fact the only thing good about was Reznov, Zombies were the best of the game. MW3, didn't buy due my experience with MW2. Black ops 2 looks utter shite can't stand that they have went futuristic, but zombies is on it so i buy because of that, and i'm interested on how Reznov is in it, proberly someones imagiation but never the less, best CoD campaign character, great in WaW.

Just a message to hackers just asking, why? whats the point, it ruins the game, when i get messages from people wanting mods or hacks i respond the same way "f**k off, and play the game properly".

Asda are taking pre orders for it already :blink:

Yeah, heard that when I was in last week. I suppose it makes sense for them to do it - if not many other shops are doing it, you'll get a lot of people pre-ordering because it's the only place to do it for now. Guaranteed sales. And it will sell. By the truckload. :(

Archived