what new phone to upgrade to

Gadget geeks annoy me! It will still be a shit hot screen, who cares if something 4-5" small is pentile or whatnot?

Too much reading the phandroid uber-geeks comments and playing the endless (and pointless) waiting game for a phone that will NEVER match up because it doesn't w**k you off in the morning.

Sorry, y'know, but c'mon - you think folk are gonna say "cool phone mate, but that pentile screen is bogging. I cannae stand to even look at you anymore with your inferior pixel arrangement"

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadget geeks annoy me! It will still be a shit hot screen, who cares if something 4-5" small is pentile or whatnot?

Too much reading the phandroid uber-geeks comments and playing the endless (and pointless) waiting game for a phone that will NEVER match up because it doesn't w**k you off in the morning.

Sorry, y'know, but c'mon - you think folk are gonna say "cool phone mate, but that pentile screen is bogging. I cannae stand to even look at you anymore with your inferior pixel arrangement"

Haha! :lol:

Fair enough, if you'll allow me to be a lot more shallow - I just think it looks a bit cheap. Plasticky like. Similar to the Galaxy Nexus in that regard. The HTC One series with thier ceramic, polycarbonate unibody... whatever finishes look and feel better.

Quality rant! :D

Fair enough, if you'll allow me to be a lot more shallow - I just think it looks a bit cheap. Plasticky like. Similar to the Galaxy Nexus in that regard. The HTC One series with thier ceramic, polycarbonate unibody... whatever finishes look and feel better.

This. I didn't think the Nexus was a particularly good looking phone either, in fact, I'd say that neither the Nexus or this new S3 are a patch on the S2 (or indeed the Note, to satisfy Mr X.......)

Screen differentials will be minimal and I would argue inconsequential at these sizes (though I'm no expert). The ordinary punter won't even know it.

I agree with you on the looks aspect. I liked pretty much everything about the Samsung SIII when it was unveiled - apart from the look of it. The colour choices, the material used, it all feels like Samsung don't have a design team at their HQ

Now, I have a Nexus S and whilst it's a great phone it really is just a slab of plastic. I'm out of contract and looking for something a bit more solid, a better feel so I think I'll plump for the HTC One X. Once again my microSD card will be sitting unused :(

I am still in love with my s2 which has about 10 months left on its contract. The s3 doesn't look enough of an evolutionary leap To start spunking my load over.

I am still in love with my s2 which has about 10 months left on its contract. The s3 doesn't look enough of an evolutionary leap To start spunking my load over.

The SIII is FAR superior to the S2, have you actually read any of the specs and reviews?

Was due to upgrade on Sunday (6th May) only to find Orange changed their upgrade policy on 1st May :angry:

Previously, you could upgrade 90 days before the end of your contract, now its 45 days. :(

an excellent review of the S3 here

linky linky

It's not excellent. It's a review based on maybe an hour spent with the device at the launch.

These geek websites always clamour to be "the first" to review products but this review is really just a synopsis of it's appearance - no benchmarks, no real-world battery tests, no little quirks you find once you've played with the device for a few days.

It's not excellent. It's a review based on maybe an hour spent with the device at the launch.

These geek websites always clamour to be "the first" to review products but this review is really just a synopsis of it's appearance - no benchmarks, no real-world battery tests, no little quirks you find once you've played with the device for a few days.

at least they got their hands on it though, a lot of reviews simply guess

techradar have been pretty good over the years with their reviews of other phones

at least they got their hands on it though, a lot of reviews simply guess

techradar have been pretty good over the years with their reviews of other phones

Pantene is right though - what techradar have done there, and it is a wee bit cheeky, is label it a review when it really is nothing more than a preview. I don't normally use that website, will they change it, or do a more in depth review once the phone is released?

GSM Arena have their preview up now, and will no doubt have a full review in the coming weeks.

Edited to add link.S3 Preview

yeah seen that also, well gutted myself :(

The only slight consolation is that they'll wipe off the last 45 days of your contract when you upgrade whereas before they added the 90 days on.

I'm also hoping the One X will be cheaper in 45 days time!

Pantene is right though - what techradar have done there, and it is a wee bit cheeky, is label it a review when it really is nothing more than a preview. I don't normally use that website, will they change it, or do a more in depth review once the phone is released?

GSM Arena have their preview up now, and will no doubt have a full review in the coming weeks.

Edited to add link.S3 Preview

will check out that one as well mate, cheers

The only slight consolation is that they'll wipe off the last 45 days of your contract when you upgrade whereas before they added the 90 days on.

I'm also hoping the One X will be cheaper in 45 days time!

i didnt know that, thought they would add the 45 days on like before?

my phone upgrade is due soon, and the list of phones i can get for free from orange is

Galaxy S2

iPhone 4s 16GB

iPhone 4 8GB

Galaxy Ace

Blackberry Curve 9380

Xperia Ray

Blackberry Curve 8520

San Fransisco

Nokia C1-01

Atlanta

HTC Wildfire S

Rio 2

Nokia C2-01

Barcelona

Monte Carlo

Curve 9360

Samsung Wave 578

Acer Liquid Express

Samsung Galaxy Mini

Nokia Lumia 800

Samsung Galaxy Note

San Fransisco 2

Nokia 700

Blackberry Bold 9790

Samsung Tocco

HTC Explorer

Nokia Lumia 710

Samsung Solid Xcover

Sony Xperia

HTC One S

HTC One X

HTC Sensation XE

obviously the standout is the galaxy S2, but with the S3 rumoured to be out on May 3rd or about then and my upgrade not due until june i might have to wait, but then again i'll likely have to pay for it which kinda negates the point of a free upgrade (plus i go on holiday in june and cant really afford up to 100 quid for a phone upgrade)

what you thinks guys and gals

I just got the HTC One X and its an absolute cracker.

Archived