U20 League

My understanding is u19 league and league cup are being turned into a development league, the same as u20s league is being changed into.

From the little detail I can see I expect to see the two leagues split on similar lines to what the currently are, the top league will mostly premiership + invites and the 2nd league will be all lower league clubs, barring someone doing what Celtic have this year and playing u17s in it, but with clubs able to have half the team being overaged I would think that's less likely.

There are questions to be asked tho, such as now we are under one banner and the two youth leagues will be run with the same rules will all premiership clubs still be required to run a team in the top league? If so Dundee would be added to the current 16 and a decision will need to be made over running with odd numbers, adding an additional side or kicking someone out.

I can't see an end to lower league involvement in the top league, Doing so this season would see the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd kicked out, along with youth cup finalists from the past two seasons.

Below, taken from SPFL site, one top league & an East & West League for the others.

The 2014/15 fixture list for the top tier of the SPFL Development League has now been confirmed.

The 17 clubs taking part will play each other on a home and away basis between Tuesday August 5 and the middle of May.

Last season's SPFL U20 League champions Celtic kick off their campaign with a home game against St Mirren while 2013/14 runners-up Rangers start away to Partick Thistle.

Fixtures for the Development League East and Development League West - scheduled to commence in the first midweek in September - will be announced shortly.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed that, 16 that played last years u20s + Dundee in the national league, interesting to see wether Dundee have stepped up as a result of their first team getting promoted or if it would of happened anyway, i expect it's the first which I don't agree with but if it's the latter the fair enough.

East west split is interesting as well, there is potential for a difference in quality between the leagues, IIRC the west sides performed notably better than the east sides last year in the u19s league.

So that's 17 clubs in (what was) the Premiership U20s, playing 32 games over 34 matchdays.

In the original fixture list the games start the first week in August, actually before the Premiership itself starts. They then play every midweek of the season through to mid-May, with the exception of August 12th (a Premiership date); August 26th (League Cup R2); September 23rd (League Cup R3); December 30th & January 6th (Christmas & New Year Premiership dates); January 20th (Premiership date); and April 7th (Premiership date).

Given the fairly sizeable backlog which occurred this season, in a fairly mild winter compared to what could be... will they definetely get finished? Without a major pile-up?

It's unlikely the weather itself would take things over the brink... but that's 2 extra games and 4 extra dates per club. And games are inevitably postponed due to rearranged league/cup/European first-team games, cup replays, internationals, Scottish Youth Cup commitments, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived