U20 League

I take it you never watched a reserve game?

There's no way anyone would pay £5 to watch a half-arsed Pavel Brozek stoating about against a bunch of 19 year old Motherwell players.

let season tick holders in free, charge £2 on the gate, fans will take sons, daughters, nieces and nephews to these games and kids eat the shitty food at football grounds so money will be generated that way.

OR

play the reserve game straight after the first team game is finished and allow fans to have a brewskie between matches.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U17s will stay as it is. Although it is still IMO quite a step from u17s to u20s + 5(it is 5 right) reserves. Wotte is of the opinion is that they should be challenged to try and develop quicker. That is fair enough, but I hope that time spent improving technique isn't sacrificed so that they compensate it by instead focusing on being physically strong enough for higher levels.

It seems like a bridge between having an u19s and reserve league and merging the 2 together.

TBH I can't understand what the f**k Terry Butcher is moaning about as they already have their U19 team plus being able to play a couple of reserves now.

You can cover a turd in glitter, but it's still the same shite underneath.

Perhaps. The old cliche' of 'grass roots' needs to be properly addressed and the kids should be developing technique before the age of ten, not afterwards IMO.

However that's not say we should be writing off our U19+ players in the country. Even if a few benefit, we can hopefully see some pull on the national jersey and do well. Wotte is trying I will give him that and its better to do something than nothing at all like previous SFA regimes.

I take it you never watched a reserve game?

There's no way anyone would pay £5 to watch a half-arsed Pavel Brozek stoating about against a bunch of 19 year old Motherwell players.

Why would no one pay £5 to watch a reserve game?

If you have a family and your all in to football, going along each week to the 1st team games is expensive, your talking on average £40 for a dad and his 2 kids, where as go along midweek to see the reserves (you get to see the future stars and some fringe players/players returning from injury) it will cost you around a tenner

Why would no one pay £5 to watch a reserve game?

If you have a family and your all in to football, going along each week to the 1st team games is expensive, your talking on average £40 for a dad and his 2 kids, where as go along midweek to see the reserves (you get to see the future stars and some fringe players/players returning from injury) it will cost you around a tenner

Its all about making the effort though.Theres a incentive if its free.

That dad would have to pay admission, travel costs and food and drinks for his 2 brats aswell.

I'm probably wrong here as usual :P

You can cover a turd in glitter, but it's still the same shite underneath.

But it would be sparkly, and include special old firm excrement, and because of that our SPL leaders probably think that there is a tv market for it with Sky.

Should keep the under 19's but bring back the reserve league, when will the suits listen to the fans, majority of the fans ive spoke to want the reserve league back.

No-one has the money for a seperate Reserve League. This step is a measure to accomodate the idea alongwith longer youth development... If it makes you feel better, call it the Reserve League, with a mandatory U20s rule.

Play midweek games open up a couple of stands at the home ground and charge £5 a ticket to get in it will bring some much needed cash to the smaller teams in the league, most clubs have their own tv channels online dont they so you could also show the games on club tvs to bring in a bit more money

let season tick holders in free, charge £2 on the gate, fans will take sons, daughters, nieces and nephews to these games and kids eat the shitty food at football grounds so money will be generated that way.

Clubs routinely lost money on the Reserve league games which is why many started playing them behind closed doors or at Junior/lower-league grounds in afternoons mainly. Proposal is apparently to play the U20 League in stadiums - but I'd anticipate it'll be not typically be the club's own home ground, and mainly afternoons.

As someone who went to Hibs reserve games while at Uni, crowds were dire, OF and Hearts aside (even then perhaps 200-400 max) Admission was free.

play the reserve game straight after the first team game is finished

Never happening.

Seperately, in today's paper Steven Pressley says he expects Falkirk and Hamilton to be admitted to the new league as invited sides.

Perhaps. The old cliche' of 'grass roots' needs to be properly addressed and the kids should be developing technique before the age of ten, not afterwards IMO.

However that's not say we should be writing off our U19+ players in the country. Even if a few benefit, we can hopefully see some pull on the national jersey and do well. Wotte is trying I will give him that and its better to do something than nothing at all like previous SFA regimes.

My comment was about the post above mine, not the overall idea.

Apologies for the confusion.

• 2 years later...

Have heard the U19 league is going to be scrapped & they are having two U20 leagues this season. One for the Premiership & another for the rest of the leagues below though have not been able to find any further information. Anybody know anything, seems a big step for a former U17 going straight into an U20 league.

Do you mean they are just upgrading the U19 League to an U20 League... so (for example) Celtic will continue to play in both and the likes of Falkirk, Hibs and Dunfermline will stay in the 'top' league?

Or literally a return to a specific U20 League for the top tier, and another for the ex-SFL levels?

Do you mean they are just upgrading the U19 League to an U20 League... so (for example) Celtic will continue to play in both and the likes of Falkirk, Hibs and Dunfermline will stay in the 'top' league?

Or literally a return to a specific U20 League for the top tier, and another for the ex-SFL levels?

All I have been told is that the U19 league is going to be scrapped all together & replaced by an U20 league. In what format I do not know, that's why I wondered if anybody else had further information. The way I understood it was that the Premiership teams would have an U20 league & the remaining leagues would form another U20 division if wanted, though don't know if this would still be regionalised or if indeed it would be more than one U20 league from Championship & below.

My understanding is u19 league and league cup are being turned into a development league, the same as u20s league is being changed into.

From the little detail I can see I expect to see the two leagues split on similar lines to what the currently are, the top league will mostly premiership + invites and the 2nd league will be all lower league clubs, barring someone doing what Celtic have this year and playing u17s in it, but with clubs able to have half the team being overaged I would think that's less likely.

There are questions to be asked tho, such as now we are under one banner and the two youth leagues will be run with the same rules will all premiership clubs still be required to run a team in the top league? If so Dundee would be added to the current 16 and a decision will need to be made over running with odd numbers, adding an additional side or kicking someone out.

I can't see an end to lower league involvement in the top league, Doing so this season would see the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd kicked out, along with youth cup finalists from the past two seasons.

My understanding is u19 league and league cup are being turned into a development league, the same as u20s league is being changed into.

From the little detail I can see I expect to see the two leagues split on similar lines to what the currently are, the top league will mostly premiership + invites and the 2nd league will be all lower league clubs, barring someone doing what Celtic have this year and playing u17s in it, but with clubs able to have half the team being overaged I would think that's less likely.

There are questions to be asked tho, such as now we are under one banner and the two youth leagues will be run with the same rules will all premiership clubs still be required to run a team in the top league? If so Dundee would be added to the current 16 and a decision will need to be made over running with odd numbers, adding an additional side or kicking someone out.

I can't see an end to lower league involvement in the top league, Doing so this season would see the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd kicked out, along with youth cup finalists from the past two seasons.

So if that is the case & you can play half your team overage in the U20 league, it doesn't sound like the younger lads are going to get much game time.

They struggled to fit 30 league games in last season, tbh, nevermind going beyond 16 clubs... that would surely require some kind of conferences set-up.

I can't see expansion beyond 16 either, IMO it shouldn't be a requirement for premiership clubs to run teams in the top league and clubs judged on youth team merit only.

Their wasn't any real need to be playing so many end of season games anyway, they really didn't need to have such a long winter break, and I think they could deal with postponements better, in particular games postponed for celtics champions league games.

So if that is the case & you can play half your team overage in the U20 league, it doesn't sound like the younger lads are going to get much game time.

Well it all depends on how the clubs use it. Clubs could easily fill the side with 5 final year u20s and the keeper and the other 5 reasonably experienced guys. Or they could have a side made up mainly of 17/18 year olds.

We seem to be approaching it the same as we have in previous seasons, I imagine that will be true for many, but other clubs, particularly the ones like county who were part of the movement for an increase in overage players are more likely to treat it as a reserve league.

The change at the top league is relatively minor but i can see how it seems much larger step for the clubs used to playing in the old sfl set up. The change from u19s to u20s with allowance for overage players has been a positive step IMO and clubs have delt with the change pretty well, I think the clubs used to u19s sfl set up will also be able to adapt.

I can't see expansion beyond 16 either, IMO it shouldn't be a requirement for premiership clubs to run teams in the top league and clubs judged on youth team merit only.

Their wasn't any real need to be playing so many end of season games anyway, they really didn't need to have such a long winter break, and I think they could deal with postponements better, in particular games postponed for celtics champions league games.

Well it all depends on how the clubs use it. Clubs could easily fill the side with 5 final year u20s and the keeper and the other 5 reasonably experienced guys. Or they could have a side made up mainly of 17/18 year olds.

We seem to be approaching it the same as we have in previous seasons, I imagine that will be true for many, but other clubs, particularly the ones like county who were part of the movement for an increase in overage players are more likely to treat it as a reserve league.

The change at the top league is relatively minor but i can see how it seems much larger step for the clubs used to playing in the old sfl set up. The change from u19s to u20s with allowance for overage players has been a positive step IMO and clubs have delt with the change pretty well, I think the clubs used to u19s sfl set up will also be able to adapt.

I think the old SFL 19's (played Sunday) and the reserve stuff has been scraped in favour of an under20's similar to the one that was played last year. Two tiers, the clubs who were in the under 20's last year and then the rest who had 19's and reserves.

Games to be played on a Monday and Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Far better if they had kept under 17 s and reserve leagues. Under 20s was a joke idea and still is. Scottish football needs good competitive reserve leagues and have all ages participating in it.

Yes it is a bit worrying that players coming out of U17 football jump straight to U20. Depending on how the clubs treat it, there is a strong possibility that they are not going to get much competitive football.

Archived