U20 League

According to Tyrone Smith's twitter feed the SPL have unanimously voted for an Under-20 league to be introduced, with SFL teams perhaps being permitted entry to it.

Good move in my opinion, so long as the main issues get sorted.

https://twitter.com/#!/TyroneSTV

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A step in the right direction, but I would like to see it go further and get an u23 league. There are plenty of players on club's books that could do with regular football aged 21 / 22.

A step in the right direction, but I would like to see it go further and get an u23 league. There are plenty of players on club's books that could do with regular football aged 21 / 22.

Is there not provision within the U20 league plans for overage players?

Should bring back the reserve league and make a rule where you have to use a certain amount of under 21's.

You have guys sitting in the stand every saturday getting paid a good wage because of the SPL subs rule.These guys are getting rusty because they aren't getting any game time.

At least when you have injuries and suspensions they'll be able to slot in easier rather than throwing them in the deep end without kicking a ball for 2 months.

I don't understand the point. We already have U19's so why have U20's, surely the obvious option is to switch back to the reserve league but with a stronger control over the number of U20 players that need to be fielded. That allows both fringe and players returning from injury to get a game while also giving youth a chance to play against players with greater experience.

I realise this is Motte's doing and in general what he has said over the piece I agree with, but just copying the way the Dutch do things isn't the panacea for Scottish football.

It replaces the U-19s league, and 3 over-agers can be fielded, IIRC... Whether you call it "U20s League with X over-agers" or "Reserve League with X U20s" is a matter of semantics.

I don't know we got rid of the u21s league in the first place IMO.

It became the Reserve League.

It replaces the U-19s league, and 3 over-agers can be fielded, IIRC...

Ah, well then my point is a bit, er, pointless then as I thought the U19's would run in tandem.

It replaces the U-19s league, and 3 over-agers can be fielded, IIRC... Whether you call it "U20s League with X over-agers" or "Reserve League with X U20s" is a matter of semantics.

Does that mean the age groups for youth teams are going to jump from Under 17 to Under 20 or will they bring in an Under 18 league to bridge the gap?

You're sowing doubt in my mind now, but I'm sure the (snippet) material in the press previously said it was to replace U19s. That'd make sense anyway... if not, you're at a stroke doubling the number of matches clubs have to fulfil at this age-group level, and you'd presumably have to increase squads or flood U17s into the U19s.

Not seen anything regarding an U18s league being formed.

EDIT: replaces U19s but proposed 5 over-agers not 3, my apologies

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17267221

Inverness Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher has hit out at proposals to introduce a new Under-20s division for Scottish Premier League clubs.

The suggested set-up would replace the current U19 league and allow five over-age players to be fielded.

EDIT AGAIN: although Wotte wanted 2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17621090

Wotte appears to want to limit the number of over-age players playing in the under-20 league to two per game, but Yorkston believes there should be more scope for senior players.

Should bring back the reserve league and make a rule where you have to use a certain amount of under 21's.

You have guys sitting in the stand every saturday getting paid a good wage because of the SPL subs rule.These guys are getting rusty because they aren't getting any game time.

At least when you have injuries and suspensions they'll be able to slot in easier rather than throwing them in the deep end without kicking a ball for 2 months.

I agree

is it not 5 five players that are over 19 but under 20?

letting older players into it would be madness. this is a good move as it gives players with potential but not ready for the first team a bit of breathing space and will cut down on the number of players who are only there to make up the numbers and have no chance of ever making the first team squad.

Don't see the point of it, myself. If you haven't made the fringes of the first team by 18 or 19, why would you when you were knocking on 20?

Because some players develop later than others. Jamie Hamill was nearly 21 when he made his Killie debut.

Don't see the point of it, myself. If you haven't made the fringes of the first team by 18 or 19, why would you when you were knocking on 20?

Didnt John Terry get his place int he Chelsea line up at 23?

Ok my comparrison is a on the other side of the spectrum here, but the point still stands.

Ian Wright signed his first professional contract with Palace three months short of his 22nd Birthday, he turned out ok.

Didnt John Terry get his place int he Chelsea line up at 23?

Ok my comparrison is a on the other side of the spectrum here, but the point still stands.

Theres plenty,Ian Wright (you know that ex celtic striker, think he scored a few for some London club down south too dry.gif ) didnt turn professional till he was 22 I believe.

Should keep the under 19's but bring back the reserve league, when will the suits listen to the fans, majority of the fans ive spoke to want the reserve league back. Play midweek games open up a couple of stands at the home ground and charge £5 a ticket to get in it will bring some much needed cash to the smaller teams in the league, most clubs have their own tv channels online dont they so you could also show the games on club tvs to bring in a bit more money

Archived