I was given a Ledaig single malt years ago and only recently opened the box, is it supposed to be as pale as it looks in the image?
5698-7965ledaig.jpg

Pretty much, I have a bottle which could easily be mistaken for white wine

What would be a good quality malt for someone looking to get into whisky that could be described as 'really smooth? Maybe up to max £70

11 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

What would be a good quality malt for someone looking to get into whisky that could be described as 'really smooth? Maybe up to max £70

Balvenie 12. Highland Park 12. Johnny Walker Black Label / Green Label. Something along those lines, and can get them in any supermarket. 

23 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

If they are just getting in to it I would avoid anything with a bourbon finish. Not a fan of it these days but Auchentoshan would probably be the ‘smoothest’ possibly as its distilled 3 times. Personally I would recommend Clynelish 14 I found rather smooth and sweet. Can get itfor under 50 easily enough. Deanston 12 is mentioned often on here which you cant go too wrong with either which you can get for under 40 usually.

ETA- somebody mentioned more the supermarket stuff which Auchentoshan is often there. If its not a gift for anyone but just for yourself I would keep an eye out for what ever is on offer and get two bottkes + for the same money. You might not like one initially but as your taste buds change you could end up liking it further down the line. 

Edited by gannonball

Just bought a bottle of this via a fundraiser auction:

14809nRiShecu0FE4b_600x600.jpg

I know nothing about it but I got it cheaper at the auction than it would cost to buy in the local bevvy shop.

Just bought a bottle of this via a fundraiser auction:
14809nRiShecu0FE4b_600x600.jpg
I know nothing about it but I got it cheaper at the auction than it would cost to buy in the local bevvy shop.

That's the "staunchest" looking bottle of whisky i've ever seen.

9 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

It is a tad staunch looking, but it's whats on the inside I am interested in.

Actually, that's a lie, I won't touch it. Giving it to someone as a gift!

I've a couple of them through a cousin who works at Chivas that gets them for about 40 quid a bottle. I've tried it once, it's a very juicy blend as smooth as they come. It's been years though so no idea what I'd make of the flavour profile.

It's classy as f**k though. Porcelain bottle, silk bag inside a big gold box. Perfect for a gift.

I would say a definate contender for the loving cup but times are tough down there so probably Scottish leader or some other tramp juice.

Looks like a bottle of Hoors Perfume.  Hope it tastes as nice (according to a mate).

I would hope it’s least 18 years old, then.

Glenmorangie 10 or Highland Park 12 or even Jura (whatever it’s calling itself these days). All solid and unspectacular “table whiskies”.