whisky lovers

1 minute ago, Derek Patterson said:

Honestly was worried it was gonna be gash, being so young but was pleasantly surprised. Never usually go for the "hoose whisky" but quite a few folk seemed to be praising it. Obviously not a huge body to.it but genuinely enjoyable.

Fair enough. I like Deanston but that's easily their weakest offering. The 12 is still cheap and a lot better IMO. It's one of my favourite standard distillery bottlings at that age.

I’m in Tenerife and the supermercado around the corner has a ridiculously good selection of whisky for the size of the shop (€1,000 bottle of Macallan).

I decided to buy a Glen Grant 16yo and when the guy typed the price in he transposed the numbers and charged me €25.95 rather than €52.95.

Cheers!

On 22/01/2018 at 01:38, gannonball said:

Yeah I quite like to try the 12 of any distillery I come across as a standard. Deanston and Bunnahabhain are my two favourites I have found.

It looks like Amazon have been reading the thread. 

Deanston 12 and 18 on sale this week under Burns night malts.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Cheers, both have been purchased. Can never have too much of the12 and dont have the 18 yet.

I bought the 18 too, that's a good deal. It's ~£75 most other places so £55 on Amazon is dece.

I also ordered the 2008 Bordeaux red wine cask Deanston I was talking about a couple of pages back. Around the same price as the 18 but I felt it was in good company with the far older and more expensive halves I had the night I tried it. 

Edited by GiGi

As this is now the Deanston virgin oak thread I'll chuck in that it is one granule of sugar away from being undrinkably sweet.

Loads of vanilla and honey so would be a good cranachan or coffee whisky but can't same I'm enjoying it too much.

For someone who likes a JD or similar I would say a perfect beginners malt.

As I was saying further up the thread the you need the bourbon to take all of that first layer of sweetness out of the wood before you make whisky and get more subtlety.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Another question for you lads that I think might spark a little debate.

I've been invited to a Whisky tasting at my mates house. It will be a blind tasting with marks for nose/palate/finish deciding the winner of the prize. There's a £50 limit on the whisky you can bring.

My question is. . . If this was you, what whisky would you take?

25 minutes ago, Young Andy said:

Another question for you lads that I think might spark a little debate.

I've been invited to a Whisky tasting at my mates house. It will be a blind tasting with marks for nose/palate/finish deciding the winner of the prize. There's a £50 limit on the whisky you can bring.

My question is. . . If this was you, what whisky would you take?

Half bottle of Tesco value and scoop everyone else's malts.

If you are not as big a dick as me then Jura 16 diurachs own can be obtained for around 45 if you shop around (asda) and has loads going on.

Perhaps more easy to obtain would be a Tobermory 10 which whilst an island malt has plenty floral and sweetness to throw people off scent bit also has the spicy oaky dryness of an island.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Happy Burns night. Gettin tore into a Macallan 12 ????

Mental how much macallan costs nowadays, seen the 12 online for 65 quid.

Opened a bottle of Tullibardine 233 last night. Not really a fan of Tullibardine as find it a bit rough but it wasnt too bad to be honest. Not enough to warrant another nip though and ended up having a deanston 12 and a highland park 12 too.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Mental how much macallan costs nowadays, seen the 12 online for 65 quid.

Opened a bottle of Tullibardine 233 last night. Not really a fan of Tullibardine as find it a bit rough but it wasnt too bad to be honest. Not enough to warrant another nip though and ended up having a deanston 12 and a highland park 12 too.

Macallan is just a rip off. I bought the 12 near the start of my collection and it cost me over £50 then. I quickly realised while good it's not twice as good as its counterparts despite being twice the price. I don't bother with them at all now. 

IMG_0220.jpg

Opened this on Thursday as it was Burns Night. Only had one as I was driving the next morning. Didn’t think it was too bad so as tonight is Saturday and there is no driving tomorrow morning, I’ll knock a hole in the rest of the bottle tonight

• 2 weeks later...