whisky lovers

I don't get this paying extra for cask strength and then diluting it so it's bog standard. I know it's what the experts recommend but to my palate it waters down not just the alcohol but the flavour too.

I never add water to anything, which may be one reason I can't stand the peaty ones. I just find it completely changes the flavour, and not in a good way.

The really peaty ones mellow with age. The more you pay, the less peat. I'd rather just pay a lot less for a Highland 10 year old.

I never add water to anything, which may be one reason I can't stand the peaty ones. I just find it completely changes the flavour, and not in a good way.

I find adding a little water means I can taste a lot more. It dulls that 'alcohol' taste and allows me to actually taste the flavours of the whisky.

Said this on here before loads before bit f**k it, most people completely over water their whisky. I have seen people go half and half with whisky water. It's abysmal behaviour.

You literally need a drop. Think an eyebrow, or as the book I read from a caol ila distiller " enough to fill a midges arsehole". Just enough for the chemical reaction to bring the oils out.

Having said that I'm increasingly going neat on my non cask strengths.

If its money that worries you a cask strength at 65% could be diluted down to 45% at 2 parts whisky to 1 water so if you look at it that way a 60 quid bottle ends up the same cost as a 40 quid bottle.

I know people who do this but it sounds shite.

Anyway, tonight is glencadam 21 year old from brechin. The only reason brechin exists

40% whisky has already been significantly diluted with water. Adding a drop of water does NOTHING.

A really shite whisky can benefit from a lump of ice, same way a vinegary wine, red or white, can become drinkable if left in the fridge and if still shite with a drop of lemonade. Anything as good or better than Scottish Leader should be left alone.

Agree entirely. A can of Carling shoved in the freezer til near freezing point is acceptable.

I genuinely believe the water thing is done by people who read about it and think it must be true. Talisker tasting notes bang on about the flavour being 'briney, salty etc' because the distillery is a rugged coastal location when the casks are stored in the Central belt because they have insufficient storage facilities at the distillery

40% whisky has already been significantly diluted with water. Adding a drop of water does NOTHING.

Well that's just 100% wrong. Even at 40% abv adding water still breaks the surface tension and creates enough of an exothermic reaction to raise the temperature and release aroma and flavour.

Also no whisky distiller would taste whisky without water, some even dilute down to 20% abv to find out what is flavours are going on in the background behind the alcohol.

Well that's just 100% wrong. Even at 40% abv adding water still breaks the surface tension and creates enough of an exothermic reaction to raise the temperature and release aroma and flavour.

Could you not do the same by having a sip?

Well it does something - ruins a good whisky. If something is cask strength I'll usually try some neat then add a drop of water and try again to see if I prefer the flavour with the drop. A drop of water in a whisky that's 55%+ can take away the burn and release the flavour in my opinion, but some have enough flavour/little burn without a drop added so I'll always have some neat first.