whisky lovers

I was in the Bon Accord at Charing Cross on Friday and they have a bottle of this on the top shelf.

glvg!m1940v2.jpg

At £900 a half it could be just the thing you are looking for! And there is a least a couple of measures out of it, so somebody hasn't been scared off by the price.

I had a a couple of large 40 year old Bowmores for my 40th birthday at the Ceilidh Place in Ullapool, thinking I was being pretty extravagant at £10 a single. Worth it though, it was gorgeous. Could have been a bit of a bargain:

bowob.1955.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-915.aspx

Really expensive whisky and brandy in bars is pointless, and unless you're the person that gets them to crack open the bottle/you're certain there's a high turnover of the stuff being bought, pretty much only marks out the buyer as a fanny.

Once open the whisky will start to oxidise and flavour will be lost. This will increase over time, but will be reasonably significant after just 6 months when you consider the subtleties of flavour involved.

So if you're in the Bon Accord or The Grill or any of the other myriad whisky bars and feeling flush, take a good look at the bottle that's sitting there teasing you at £30+ per nip. Ask yourself how often other punters buy it and how long it's been open for.

If you want to drink expensive whisky, buy the bottle for yourself, basically.

Head room is a factor too. So if it has had a few nips out their is probably no issue. Half a bottle or 2/3 gone possibly more of a problem.

This is why if I lived in Edinburgh I would be all over the malt whisky society. Cask strength bottlings you can buy by the nip with a high turnover.

Couple of days left next week before I'm on holiday, but this years haul of gifts from suppliers so far is: Glenfarclas 10yo, Old Pulteney 12yo & Glenfiddich 12yo.

One that normally gives me a whisky has given me 2 bottles of wine instead for some reason. Must not have spent enough this year...

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a whisky drinker but got given 2 bottles of single malt over Christmas. A bottle of 10 year old Laphroaig and a 12 year Old Pulteney.

Probably going to pop my cherry over Hogmanay and knowing next to nothing about Whisky, which one would be best for a whisky VL?

ETA: f**k knows what happened to the font.

Edited by Bobby Skidmarks

Laphroaig is very marmite - a lot of people (myself included) don't like it. I'm not a fan of anything particularly peaty. The Old Pulteney is the safer bet.

Very much this. Probably the most extreme at one end of the entire tasting scale, with Pultney being far more Central and a far better choice for a whisky VL.

Used to love Laphroaig but now have to be very much in the mood for it these days tbh.

Recently finished a couple of bottles.

18yr old Glenfiddich which was pretty disappointing. It's easily drinkable but just nothing special.

15yr Glenlivet French oak reserve is lovely stuff and the best I've found around the £30 range so far.

Got a Balvenie doublewood and an Auchentoshan American oak for Christmas. The former is cracking, the latter nice enough but not a patch of the excellent three wood.

I need to top up my reserves though, I'd like a bit more variety.