whisky lovers

I cant take to glenrothes at all. Got a nasty tequila aftertaste.

Got a couple of ocotmore tasters to try. Anyone had it?

I've had the Octomore before and remember liking it, although that was probably a good five years ago at least tbh. You've got to be really be into your peaty Islays though, if memory serves me right.

Probably wouldn't like it as much now though as I seem to have drifted towards the Speyside tastes with time. That seems to be the other way around with most other folk who build up to the stronger peat/smoke though. Used to absolutely love Lagavulin, now I could turn a dram down. Sad times.

I've had the Octomore before and remember liking it, although that was probably a good five years ago at least tbh. You've got to be really be into your peaty Islays though, if memory serves me right.

Probably wouldn't like it as much now though as I seem to have drifted towards the Speyside tastes with time. That seems to be the other way around with most other folk who build up to the stronger peat/smoke though. Used to absolutely love Lagavulin, now I could turn a dram down. Sad times.

Lagavulin 16 is my current drink of choice so I'm sure I'll like it but didn't fancy spending 120 and finding it either unpalatable or smoky to the point it was gimmicky.

• 2 months later...

On a recent pub crawl we were having a dram with every pint and my favourite was probably Talisker? I thought I'd like "sweeter" whiskys but I don't know if such a thing exists, went through a bottle of Glen Moray which I thought was alright.

Getting more into Whisky after a few months. Went back and tried Talisker again, finding it drinkable when chilled, bought some of the plastic ice cubes., reckon adding water ruins it for me.

For sweeter whisky try the sherry cask Speysides. Macallan is readily available and decent.

Want to get another bottle of Arran 14 yr for Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

On Singleton Tailfire tonight. Quite fruity but moreish.

Tailfire is my malt of the moment mozza, Ive been through a few bottles since christmas, doesn't seem to last long in the house. Outstanding value for around the 30/35 quid mark, although I believe you can get it for 27 quid in tescos at the moment.

In the grill in Aberdeen tonight. Right bunch of weirdos but good whisky collection.

Caol Ila 12 yo. Nothing special.

Laphroaig quarter cask - all the shit bits of laphroaig (the iodine) and none of the good. Avoid

Talisker 18 yo. Very nice, familiar dry white pepper talisker taste but much more flavour.

Tailfire is my malt of the moment mozza, Ive been through a few bottles since christmas, doesn't seem to last long in the house. Outstanding value for around the 30/35 quid mark, although I believe you can get it for 27 quid in tescos at the moment.

Picked one of these up in Tesco on Friday based on feedback on here. £28. I thought it was very dece.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an unopened Glenlivet 12 year old, nothing special of course (just a Xmas freebie from a supplier at work), except my mates trying to convince me to hold on to it now that Glenlivet are discontinuing it in the UK and US. Reckons it's going to go up in value over the next few years. It's not been discontinued completely though. There's certainly money to be made in this market, but not sure I can be bothered. I normally end up drinking them instead.

They are stoping selling Glenlivet 12yo? When?

I think productions already stopped. They're blending it into something else now with a name as opposed to an age.

I had the wrong countries actually, it was here and Germany. They're still making it for the US.

Link

Does anybody know which distillery the new release Lidl Islay 22yo single malt is from: https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/tastings/new-whiskies/batch-16-lidl-limited-releases/

Have read that it is a Laphroaig, others insist it to be an Ardbeg. The box it comes in has a huge circle over Bruichladdich on the map of Islay inside!

The review above uses the word medicinal which must narrow it down to Laphroaig?

Anyway, massive fan of all things Islay. Bought one, the last one in town. Will open it next month, the bottle likely won't see 2016!

(None of the Speyside 28yo left in the shop either.)

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC