whisky lovers

As a rule that's as much as I would add. Some say 1 part water to 5 whisky so that's 7ml to a quarter gill or 5 ml to a shite pub nip.

My scientific test there was with aberlour a bunadh and bowmore 15 darkest.

The aberlour is a cask strength at 60% and a few drops were enough to notice on the nose. The watered one didn't sting. However on the taste I didn't notice any difference until I had watered it down to about 1 part water to 3 whisky. That's the amount of dilution I needed to make it palatable when sober.

On the Bowmore which comes in at 43% and is finished in sherry casks you could immediately see and smell the difference with just a few drops of water. Although I will admit the taste wasn't hugely different the few drops of water just took the iodine taste off it. Again I preferred with the water.

At the end of the day its all down to personal tastes and its fun trying different ways of drinking it.

Unless its ice, then you can f**k off.

Agreed on the ice but sometimes like putting in those granite cubes you get which cool it a little without any water.

Thought I'd come to this thread for a wee bit of advice.

I've decided that I fancy a bottle of Balvenie for my next purchase, most probably a nice wee 12 year old Doublewood that I know and love. However...

My head was turned by their Caribbean Cask (14 years) which looks the absolute business, and for a reasonable price as well. After warming to this particular brand, I had failed to spot their 12 year Single Barrel. This seems to be more highly regarded and indeed more expensive as a result, than the previous two.

I guess my question is, which of these have you experienced and what would you recommend in terms of quality and value for money? Many thanks.

Oh and I've clocked the 15 year old Sherry Cask but that's just not happening. If only.

Edited by fraser_smfc

Thought I'd come to this thread for a wee bit of advice.

I've decided that I fancy a bottle of Balvenie for my next purchase, most probably a nice wee 12 year old Doublewood that I know and love. However...

My head was turned by their Caribbean Cask (14 years) which looks the absolute business, and for a reasonable price as well. After warming to this particular brand, I had failed to spot their 12 year Single Barrel. This seems to be more highly regarded and indeed more expensive as a result, than the previous two.

I guess my question is, which of these have you experienced and what would you recommend in terms of quality and value for money? Many thanks.

Oh and I've clocked the 15 year old Sherry Cask but that's just not happening. If only.

Do their tour, ask them for a sample of the Tun 1401. Sensational nip!

Retails at about £300 a bottle. Tour costs £35, but they were very generous with their sampling!!

Ah Laphroig... Still can't stand it!

Had the chance (thanks to corporate membership of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and visiting clients at work) to head to their Islay tasting evening a couple of weeks ago. Started off with a fairly tepid bourbon cask Bowmore which was very drinkable, but not really what you'd expect of an Islay malt - very little smoke/peat which I believe was partly down to its age (25 years plus) this was followed by the best dram of the night a much younger sherried Bowmore with a really lovely balance of sherry and peat. It's their limited edition bottling for June and if you can grab a bottle I can't recommend it enough.

Then came the Laphroig. Bourbon cask again for this one. For whatever reason I just can't get on with Laphroig there's just something about the taste profile that I equate with drinking medicine, more specifically TCP antiseptic! Even heavily watered down the phenol overpowered everything with a sharp unpleasant taste. Some at the tasting had this as their dram of the night, others their worst. It does seem to be a divisive distillery.

4th dram was a nice, but rather uneventful Caol Ila. Solid but nothing spectacular and then to finish with was a powerhouse of peat Port Charlotte. A close 2nd for me behind the more refined Bowmore and the bottle I'd have bought if they'd actually had any left in stock! A real peat monster with character and lots of chocolate/camp fire smoke flavour... Fantastic.

Have a few mates popping over tonight and planning to kill a few bottles to make room for some more new additions. High on the list are a Glenfarclas, Octomore and Balblair. Also interested in some complex Speysides to balance out the amount of Islay I have in my whisky cupboard right now if anyone has some good recommendations?

Don't know if been quoted before. As I was waiting at the lights outside the Diggers in Edinburgh, I saw a small sign in the window, they have 40 malts, £2.50 each, 35ml measures. Looks a good deal to me.

Never really been into whisky before and was clueless about it. Recently visited the distillery on Arran and tried the 14 year old single malt, have to say I really like it and can drink it straight as it tastes really smooth.

For a new distillery I was surprised at how good it was and this has got me into having the occasional half or two with a few pints. What other sherry casks are worth trying? I tried Talisker as a comparison and I really didn't like the peaty taste at all. I'm clueless but to me it tasted rough as f**k but apparently it's highly rated?

At £40 a bottle the Arran one is well worth it IMO.

Visited the Arran Distillery recently. Had never tried it before, I had a dram of 14 year old and a recent addition to their range, the 7 year old. Both were excellent. The 7 year old would make a great summer dram. Next purchase will definitely be an Arran.

Visited the Arran Distillery recently. Had never tried it before, I had a dram of 14 year old and a recent addition to their range, the 7 year old. Both were excellent. The 7 year old would make a great summer dram. Next purchase will definitely be an Arran.

^^^toured the distillery, got a free drink and never bought anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glenrothes (2001) with a single drip of water which brings the nose to life. Delightful.

Got a bottle of the '98 sitting unopened (which I prefer) but someone who works at the still has advised me not to open it due to low stock. Same applies to an unopened Macallan 12yo (cask strength) seeing as they're rapidly running out after years of demand, currently having to push out this' Gold' stuff which is essentially an inferior blended malt with a posher sounding label. Bit of a guilt trip pain.

Picked up a bottle of Smokehead at the Scottish Game Fair today. Anybody know which Islay distillery it comes from?

Ardbeg, supposedly. Edited by Hedgecutter