whisky lovers

For non-peated sherried malts most of the distilleries from Speyside would fit the bill.

Everybody's taste is different but personally I think the best 'bang for your buck' sherried malts are Glendronach 15 or Glenfarclas 15.

I've been getting tore into an indy Clynelish tonight, 17yo 57.4%

Everything I've tried whisky I've found it pretty vile and really hard to drink without feeling that my throat is on fire. Thing is, a few of my friends are into it and I'd quite like to join in. Any tips for starting out, such as what to try, what to take it with etc?

Everything I've tried whisky I've found it pretty vile and really hard to drink without feeling that my throat is on fire. Thing is, a few of my friends are into it and I'd quite like to join in. Any tips for starting out, such as what to try, what to take it with etc?

What have you tried?

Entirely missed whisky day so making up for it with the bowmore darkest tonight.

Keep to Speyside malts, or even blends to start with.

Ignore any whisky snob like the plague.

Find a bottle that you like and work out from there. I still drink Grouse and will till I die as it's a very easy drink, cheap as chips and on sale everywhere. I'm actually drinking a bottle from Aldi at the moment, it's quite decent and won't even be a quarter of the price of a bottle I will pick up on Saturday.

Which will be something from the Wemyss Estate or one of the Jap ones.

Keep to Speyside malts, or even blends to start with.

Ignore any whisky snob like the plague.

Find a bottle that you like and work out from there. I still drink Grouse and will till I die as it's a very easy drink, cheap as chips and on sale everywhere. I'm actually drinking a bottle from Aldi at the moment, it's quite decent and won't even be a quarter of the price of a bottle I will pick up on Saturday.

Which will be something from the Wemyss Estate or one of the Jap ones.

I noticed you're getting Glen Moray for £16 or £17 in Aldi just now. I think that's a great price for a easy going dram.

I seriously do not understand the water in whisky brigade.

They fall into two categories. People who add gallons of water who should be shot by firing squad.

The others who add a couple of drops usually tend to know their stuff but parrot the same stuff about releasing flavour etc that I'm sure they just read about on the Internet. Your whisky has likely already significantly been watered down from cask strength and I refuse to believe adding a pepete drop of water does anything noticeable.

Edited by Fudge

I seriously do not understand the water in whisky brigade.

They fall into two categories. People who add gallons of water who should be shot by firing squad.

The others who add a couple of drops usually tend to know their stuff but parrot the same stuff about releasing flavour etc that I'm sure they just read about on the Internet. Your whisky has likely already significantly been watered down from cask strength and I refuse to believe adding a pepete drop of water does anything noticeable.

That's your prerogative but it does. Ffs you can even see the oils being released in the glass even if you don't believe you can smell or taste them.

I love whisky and have tried the majority of standard issue Scottish single malts. I've tried many with water and just do not see what it does.

I would love to see a blind tasting with your generic whisky drinker with and without a drop of water. I seriously doubt most could taste a discernable difference.

My view may be skewed by the fact I much prefer a kick in the face from cask strength stuff

That's your prerogative but it does. Ffs you can even see the oils being released in the glass even if you don't believe you can smell or taste them.

Got to agree that for certain whiskies a drop of water definitely makes a difference to the flavour.

Ill try and let you know how I get on.

FWIW ill happily have it with or without. Quite often if im trying a new malt ill have a nip without and then add water half way through.

I think the biggest difference is in the big peaty islays or in something that has had a sherry or rum finish where it really brings the oils of the cask out.

If you gave me an auchentoshan or springbank I doubt I would notice a difference.

As a rule that's as much as I would add. Some say 1 part water to 5 whisky so that's 7ml to a quarter gill or 5 ml to a shite pub nip.

My scientific test there was with aberlour a bunadh and bowmore 15 darkest.

The aberlour is a cask strength at 60% and a few drops were enough to notice on the nose. The watered one didn't sting. However on the taste I didn't notice any difference until I had watered it down to about 1 part water to 3 whisky. That's the amount of dilution I needed to make it palatable when sober.

On the Bowmore which comes in at 43% and is finished in sherry casks you could immediately see and smell the difference with just a few drops of water. Although I will admit the taste wasn't hugely different the few drops of water just took the iodine taste off it. Again I preferred with the water.

At the end of the day its all down to personal tastes and its fun trying different ways of drinking it.

Unless its ice, then you can f**k off.

Ill try and let you know how I get on.

FWIW ill happily have it with or without. Quite often if im trying a new malt ill have a nip without and then add water half way through.

I think the biggest difference is in the big peaty islays or in something that has had a sherry or rum finish where it really brings the oils of the cask out.

If you gave me an auchentoshan or springbank I doubt I would notice a difference.

I agree with all of this. Especially the trying new ones bit, I'll always try it without first and then with a drop to see if there is actually any difference.

Enjoying a cask strength 14yo sherry butt Balvenie (2001)... which I bottled myself and signed off it must be added (makes it taste better).

Absolutely wonderful neat, simply heavenly with a mere drip of water.

Getting ready to go to the Stramash today. You get to sample up to 250 whiskies from India, New Zealand, Japan, Australia and here. We normally head to the Japanese ones first, they are superb.

I'm going to be selective this year rather than go balls out. That way I might be able to see straight on leaving the place....

post-30184-14324133405492_thumb.jpg

I picked this up last week in the Whisky Shop after some brilliant recommendations. Was a bit wary given the price and the age, but it's absolutely lovely.

Anyone had it before?