whisky lovers

Will do! I normally go for something like a sherry cask Glen Dronach, something quite easy to drink and there's no way I would describe myself as a whisky snob so I thought what the hell and decided to get a bottle.

I'm actually quite surprised with Aldi, it's the first time I've been in one, but that's a post for another thread

Anyone going to the Stramash this year? Third year for me and my mate now, first year we went I had to be put in a taxi after hitting the cocktails. Was in the Oak swaying about to heedrum hodrum and thought that it might be a good idea to head home, the missus took one look at me and I was immediately put to bed.....

Going down the road to the new Aldi for a few things, I've heard the whisky is meant to be decent.

Anyone tried their whisky before?

Treat yourself to their 18 year old glen Marnoch, 30 quid a bottle but it's one of my favourites. They also have another 3 varieties of glen Marnoch single malts on limited release at 17.99. Haven't tried it yet but they flew off the shelves when I went back next day to buy another.

Haven't tried their highland black, will get round to it once I've cleared some room.

Anyone tried the whisky from Lidl, any recommendations?

Treat yourself to their 18 year old glen Marnoch, 30 quid a bottle but it's one of my favourites. They also have another 3 varieties of glen Marnoch single malts on limited release at 17.99. Haven't tried it yet but they flew off the shelves when I went back next day to buy another.

Haven't tried their highland black, will get round to it once I've cleared some room.

Anyone tried the whisky from Lidl, any recommendations?

The two ones they usually have at my local lidl is arbrachan and ben bracken. Both sub 20 quid so dont expect pure quality but for the price I find them better than the cheap blends you would get for that price.

Got me a whisky cabinet the other day,Only 40 quid from a local charity shop after a tip off from my father. Doesnt fit my full stock but I'm chuffed anyway.

Good work. You've got some great whiskys there. The corner cabinet is a good shout. I should have done that years ago. My book case is slowly being taken over by whisky now, as we've no corners left in the room. Books vs drams, no contest on a Saturday night!

Got me a whisky cabinet the other day,Only 40 quid from a local charity shop after a tip off from my father. Doesnt fit my full stock but I'm chuffed anyway.

Can't help but notice the Jack Daniels taking pride of place at the top of all that.

Shakes head

Nice one. Good collection.

Cheers, I actually got the cabinet as my now ex girlfriend has just moved out so phase one of operation man cave is now complete.

Can't help but notice the Jack Daniels taking pride of place at the top of all that.Shakes head

Im not really a bourbon lover at all (although i have tried a few other ones recently that arent too bad). To be honest the ones in the glass part are the more empty ones as the the shelves are pishy plywood. Ive got plenty better fuller ones in the bit below (shelves are better and can hold 3 deep).

Im not really a bourbon lover at all (although i have tried a few other ones recently that arent too bad). To be honest the ones in the glass part are the more empty ones as the the shelves are pishy plywood. Ive got plenty better fuller ones in the bit below (shelves are better and can hold 3 deep).

I on the other hand would sometimes opt for a fine bourbon over a fine whisky. Total mood thing. I've been known to jump to it's defence when folk have said things along the lines of " bourbon is just America's poor attempt at copying (Scotch) whisky". Funny when loads of whisky is matured in bourbon casks and takes a fair amount of its taste from that.

I on the other hand would sometimes opt for a fine bourbon over a fine whisky. Total mood thing. I've been known to jump to it's defence when folk have said things along the lines of " bourbon is just America's poor attempt at copying (Scotch) whisky". Funny when loads of whisky is matured in bourbon casks and takes a fair amount of its taste from that.

Indeed, only starting to come around to bourbons a bit more recently after trying a bourbon sour randomly on holiday (no matter how pish the whisky is i will only add water/ice if required.) From that I have had the odd bourbon after a few malts where the taste buds now need more of kick or after a curry etc.

• 1 month later...

Never really been into whisky before and was clueless about it. Recently visited the distillery on Arran and tried the 14 year old single malt, have to say I really like it and can drink it straight as it tastes really smooth.

For a new distillery I was surprised at how good it was and this has got me into having the occasional half or two with a few pints. What other sherry casks are worth trying? I tried Talisker as a comparison and I really didn't like the peaty taste at all. I'm clueless but to me it tasted rough as f**k but apparently it's highly rated?

At £40 a bottle the Arran one is well worth it IMO.