whisky lovers

I have a bottle of this https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4386.aspx

My granda lived in Nairn and worked for Johnnie Walker and I believe his job was to speak to distillery managers and strike deals for their whisky to be used in Johnnie Walker. He was given it as a gift from the distillery manager.

I'll never sell it, yet can't think of a suitable time to ever open it

Totally agree. I was surprised to see a few people on here slag Glenlivet, it's one of my favourites especially for that kind of price.

Yeah, I really like it.

I have a bottle of this https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4386.aspx

My granda lived in Nairn and worked for Johnnie Walker and I believe his job was to speak to distillery managers and strike deals for their whisky to be used in Johnnie Walker. He was given it as a gift from the distillery manager.

I'll never sell it, yet can't think of a suitable time to ever open it

A really nice bottle. One to keep passing down the family.

Totally agree. I was surprised to see a few people on here slag Glenlivet, it's one of my favourites especially for that kind of price.

£4.00 for a nip of 18 year old Glenlivet in the QP club at the moment. Absolutely superb stuff. Perfect if you don't fancy shelling out for a full bottle.

The Tesco islay is really good. I would swear it's caol isla but others say lagavulin. Their speyside is rank, I thought it was close to glenrothes.

I really like tobermory.

I may be wrong but I think that Tescos don't have an age statement on there own brand single malts. One of the big three supermarkets certainly does not, so best to avoid.

I may be wrong but I think that Tescos don't have an age statement on there own brand single malts. One of the big three supermarkets certainly does not, so best to avoid.

Pretty sure they do. I know one of them says 12 yo.

Both the speyside and islay from Tesco in my cupboard are 12 years.

Tonight is a bit of a pre Christmas clear out making room for my presents. Jura superstition, talisker 10 and talisker storm all polished off. Jura has been there a year or two but was quite enjoying that one, may revisit.

I received a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask (14) for my birthday last week. My only other foray into Balvenie was the DoubleWood (12) - which I liked - but I'm still not sure what to make of this one. It's very easy to drink but I'm not convinced if it's "good" or "excellent".

I received a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask (14) for my birthday last week. My only other foray into Balvenie was the DoubleWood (12) - which I liked - but I'm still not sure what to make of this one. It's very easy to drink but I'm not convinced if it's "good" or "excellent".

It's one of my favourites out of the ones I've had recently.

Christmas stock for this year consists of the following.

Dimple 15 year old blend

Johnnie Walker Swing

Singleton of Glen Ord 15 and 18

Cragganmore

Haig Club

Old Pultney 12

Did you get the Glen Ord at the distillery?

Having a dram of Glenfarclas cask strength which is similar to the 108 but a different sherry variety. Guys working there decided that a specific one was so good that they bought it for themselves and I've got a bottle straight from the cask through my other half's dad who's a stillman. It is absolutely superb.

This year's Xmas presents were aberlour a 'bunadh

[Patrick Bateman 'that's nice' gif goes here]

Edited by Hedgecutter

Having a dram of Glenfarclas cask strength which is similar to the 108 but a different sherry variety. Guys working there decided that a specific one was so good that they bought it for themselves and I've got a bottle straight from the cask through my other half's dad who's a stillman. It is absolutely superb.

[Patrick Bateman 'that's nice' gif goes here]

Do you water down cask strength? The experts say you should, but I think it dilutes the flavour, and what's the point in paying more for it undiluted if you're going to bung tap water into it?

Do you water down cask strength? The experts say you should, but I think it dilutes the flavour, and what's the point in paying more for it undiluted if you're going to bung tap water into it?

It tastes better with a drop or two of water imo. However, that's still far, far, far less than you'd have in the bottle it if was the non-cask strength variety.

I find with many cask strengths, the a' bunadh being one, that when neat the strength is just too overpowering. You need a drop or two of water to really bring the flavours out.

As has been said before on this thread you are literally talking drops of water, not the slug you see some people putting in their whisky.