whisky lovers

On 11/01/2023 at 13:42, Ronaldo Jeremy said:

I like Speyburn. My late father-in-law worked there for years. The distillery is in Rothes. I believe the majority of it is exported to the US so you only really see it over here in bars with a large selection.

I received a belated 'Secret Santa' (I know, I know) gift last week - interestingly enough it was a 70cl bottle of Speyburn's Bradan Orach.

A new one on me but slightly concerning as the festive carry-on had a £10 limit. Not opened yet as want to finish off the Xmas bottles first (Ardbeg 10 and a Longrow Peated).

17 hours ago, GiGi said:

My dad passed away between Christmas and New Year overseas. Whisky was always something we shared (along with football, pubs etc, he was the man's man), with him convincing me to try again after a bad teen experience. Having recently arrived back with things over there in order, I picked a couple of particularly meaningful bottles to bring home, that I'd gotten him years ago and he had been saving for me visit before opening.

Hide contents

q8H3Bov.jpg

One or t'other will be cracked on his birthday later this year to salute him, I'm sure a few of my pals will join in the endeavour. Gutted I didn't get the chance to try them with him though.

Sorry to hear that man, hope you're doing ok. Enjoy the drams when the time comes. 

I keep saying to my father in law to crack his good stuff and enjoy it rather than leaving it to me, the only other whisky lover in the family. 

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

Sorry to hear that man, hope you're doing ok. Enjoy the drams when the time comes. 

I keep saying to my father in law to crack his good stuff and enjoy it rather than leaving it to me, the only other whisky lover in the family. 

Aye I always told my dad when I bought him whisky they weren't meant as ornaments. The pandemic really fucked up my plans to have visited him sooner, he moved at the end of 2019 before covid kicked off.

Thankfully I had him home for a visit mid last year for 2 months so we had a good chance to catch up then.

My old boy's coming over in a couple of months, and it'll be his 75th while he's here so I've gotten him a bottle of something posh. I've also gotten a bottle of this utter nonsense that we're going to wrap up and pretend we've gotten him before we give him the proper one, to see him stumble his way thru 'oh thanks, you shouldn't have'

SQRRL Peanut Butter Whiskey Review - YouTube

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

My old boy's coming over in a couple of months, and it'll be his 75th while he's here so I've gotten him a bottle of something posh. I've also gotten a bottle of this utter nonsense that we're going to wrap up and pretend we've gotten him before we give him the proper one, to see him stumble his way thru 'oh thanks, you shouldn't have'

SQRRL Peanut Butter Whiskey Review - YouTube

I'm interested in how that one is 😂

5 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

I'm interested in how that one is 😂

I don’t have high hopes. The ‘original’ peanut butter one was called Screwball and goes for $30 a bottle. This one’s made in Illinois and will set you back the princely sum of $17. Oh that’s a thing, I can lay it on thick about supporting local workers too. 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I don’t have high hopes. The ‘original’ peanut butter one was called Screwball and goes for $30 a bottle. This one’s made in Illinois and will set you back the princely sum of $17. Oh that’s a thing, I can lay it on thick about supporting local workers too. 

I'd never heard of anyone having the idea to combine the flavours but I suppose peanut butter is more popular in the USA and it is just a gimmick anyway. It reminds  me of some of the cheap and cheerful whisky miniatures I get at christmas which are very much drink them quickly so there not wasted but never buy them yourself.

@GiGi's tale is a salutary one. I get feart to open a nicer bottle but really should. It's not that they're mega expensive, I just like seeing the full botlle. They're made to drink though rather than be ornaments. My Deanston 18 might be getting cracked this evening. Anyone know what I can expect? Adored the 12 so have high hopes.

15 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I suspect it is related to a Moonshiners episode I recently saw that featured a peanut butter flavored concoction that won, if I recall correctly. They were properly surprised at the flavor working, but, IDK.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect it is related to a Moonshiners episode I recently saw that featured a peanut butter flavored concoction that won, if I recall correctly. They were properly surprised at the flavor working, but, IDK.

I mean, we both know Americans are very keen on putting peanut butter in places it has no business being. If you haven’t tried the Reese’s cereal, I wouldn’t. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I mean, we both know Americans are very keen on putting peanut butter in places it has no business being. If you haven’t tried the Reese’s cereal, I wouldn’t. 

Luckily, I just hate the flavor of peanut butter…no idea why, but I just hate it. You want something where it doesn’t belong, try a little thing called Tequila Rose.

image.jpeg.15b51abe45577c181ad1d7baecdecec4.jpeg

Tried the 1770 original today. Very pleasant, spicy number though as it's finished in virgin casks apparently. Quite bready and fruity. 

Overpriced for what it is, though. £50 a bottle, not for me. 

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

@GiGi's tale is a salutary one. I get feart to open a nicer bottle but really should. It's not that they're mega expensive, I just like seeing the full botlle. They're made to drink though rather than be ornaments. My Deanston 18 might be getting cracked this evening. Anyone know what I can expect? Adored the 12 so have high hopes.

Once it's open it's open. End of the day precious few whiskies are irreplaceable and not many will every be worth that much that they're worth holding on to for decades. 

Deanston 18 is excellent. If you love the 12 you'll not be disappointed.

My experience of whisky is pretty much limited to .... Teachers, Cutty Sark... long ago. and as a student .. a concoction called Clan Dew.

I mostly recall my throat burning as an aftertaste.

However, pre Christmas I was looking for ideas for presents for my sister and brother-in-law.  I'd had an idea for whisky marmalade,

but in searching around, online, found this...

https://www.cococaramel.co.uk/

They're chocolates with single malts inside.  I bought some for them, and a small pack for me.

They tasted great.

The result was that I quite fancy having a go at some single malt on it's own.

Would welcome a pointer towards something decent, not outrageously expensive, that a beginner would appreciate.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Once it's open it's open. End of the day precious few whiskies are irreplaceable and not many will every be worth that much that they're worth holding on to for decades. 

Deanston 18 is excellent. If you love the 12 you'll not be disappointed.

If your thing is drinking and enjoying a nice whisky then you, just take your time over said bottle, but part of the fun thereafter is trying and invariably finding bottles that are affordable and also taste great. They are out there although getting rarer unfortunately, but it should be about the drinking for me. Just open a precious bottle at a fitting time and it will punctuate the occasion AND the bottle into something really memorable

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

My experience of whisky is pretty much limited to .... Teachers, Cutty Sark... long ago. and as a student .. a concoction called Clan Dew.

I mostly recall my throat burning as an aftertaste.

However, pre Christmas I was looking for ideas for presents for my sister and brother-in-law.  I'd had an idea for whisky marmalade,

but in searching around, online, found this...

https://www.cococaramel.co.uk/

They're chocolates with single malts inside.  I bought some for them, and a small pack for me.

They tasted great.

The result was that I quite fancy having a go at some single malt on it's own.

Would welcome a pointer towards something decent, not outrageously expensive, that a beginner would appreciate.

If you can get past the name, then Bunnahabhain 12 years old or Edradour 10 years old would be my tips. Good value and flavorful without any divisive points like high peatiness.

Once you have a couple then going to The Pot Still or a similar whisky bar to branch out from that is recommended. 

For me beginner wise, you can't go wrong with anything from Aberlour, Balvenie, Deanston, Glenfarclas. 

There's "easier" to drink drams out there. Things like Dalwhinnie sort of market themselves on it. 

A step up from those for me and favourites of mine would maybe be likes of Balblair, Clynelish, and for a non peaty but slightly more challenging flavour I like Bruichladdich....