whisky lovers

14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I too am intrigued a bit by Bourbon on and moreso, Rye. I need to get a decent Rye at some point. 

I have however tried a Blantons that was about 50 quid a bottle and it tasted straight up like furniture polish 

I don’t have a lot of Ryes, give Willett Family Estate Bottled 4 Year Rye a shot, prefer it to Sazerac.

My Duty Free airport dilemma was between Benriach 10 and Glen Moray 15. Tasted the Benriach 10 and was very nice, They didn't have the GM to try but I'm a sucker for higher proof and age so went with the Glen Moray. Was also a fiver less.

Haven't tried it yet. Have I made a mistake?

I've a special edition bottling Highland park  and a random bottle clyneleish I'm selling.

The Highland park I've had priced before but need to look back and see that it was.

Anyway of anyone's interested give me a shout.

15 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

Also a recent birthday haul 🥃:

20230104_205114.jpg

I see you have an Arran Single Malt in there.  I had a few haufs of Machrie Moor, their 46% Single Malt over there at New Year - very nice it was too.  I'm not normally a fan of peaty whiskies but I was able to overlook that as I was getting it free gratis.

Wandering around the local Spec’s Liquor and noticed an amusing trend. Seems the cheapest real Scotch on sale here always has “Speyside” prominently on the label or box, and is about 70% the cost of any properly identified brand. Lovely little emotive names like “Beagle Glen” or some such crap…is someone up there just bunging crap into bottles for anyone that’ll slap down some £££.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Wandering around the local Spec’s Liquor and noticed an amusing trend. Seems the cheapest real Scotch on sale here always has “Speyside” prominently on the label or box, and is about 70% the cost of any properly identified brand. Lovely little emotive names like “Beagle Glen” or some such crap…is someone up there just bunging crap into bottles for anyone that’ll slap down some £££.

Probably. My old boy bought a bottle of something of the ilk in Miami because it was $20 and he’d never heard of it before. I think we eventually tracked it back to being Tomintoul at one stage but likely there’s bulk whisky being made for pickup and rebranding. Same as US ‘craft bourbon’ - a high percentage of that is industrial stuff from Indiana and Michigan and then chucked in a barrel in city X so it can be marked as ‘Cincinnati bourbon’ or whatever. There’s a ton of them here.

https://ibwsshow.com/en/blog/insights-64/bulk-bourbon-suppliers-in-usa-227.htm