whisky lovers

I'm just getting to the bottom of my Hazelburn 10. I've got another bottle from them which was a limited release but I haven't touched this in a while and forgot how good it is. Lovely mouthfeel and a proper finish that leaves a tingling feeling on the tongue. And aye I've read that sentence back.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have been in Ireland the last week or so and have to say the quality of Irish whiskey is night and day compared to what it was even 5 years ago. Used to be all redbreast, powers and greenspot which are fine but all taste the same. 

Was speaking to a few guys who reckon instead of pouring all their liquid into Tullamore Dew the new Irish distillers are going down the small batch route. The good news is you can pick up (almost) all of them for around 50 quid.

My top 5 would be

Dingle Single Malt

Dunvilles PX 12 yo

West Cork Sherry Cask

Kilbeggan Pot Still

Glendalough Pot Still

Cheers will take a closer look

I'm just getting to the bottom of my Hazelburn 10. I've got another bottle from them which was a limited release but I haven't touched this in a while and forgot how good it is. Lovely mouthfeel and a proper finish that leaves a tingling feeling on the tongue. And aye I've read that sentence back.
I was given a bottle last year as it has a family connection. Trying to make it last as it's lovely stuff.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Gkenfarcis broken into and had heap expensive stuff nicked.

When you sober up let's talk business chief.

12 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

EDINBURGH WHISKY FRINGE 2022 - £45.00

Anyone ever been? Seems a bit pricey.

Interesting. Wonder if you get the entry fee back if you make an order, when there. Recent wine tasting did that.

I've been to the last few whisky fringe events. I think my first one was 2016. I really enjoy them, a good chance to try a whole range of whiskies and it's definitely guided what I buy (and what I don't buy). It's also a big social occasion now for my whisky pals and it's a day out we all try and get together for. 

Most tables give you a bit of chat, which I appreciate, and the chance to sample some whiskies that I either can't afford or I'm not sure whether are worth a punt. Longrow, James Eadie and Ardbeg Dark Cove are all whiskies that I've tried for the first time and gone on to buy. On the other hand, there have been bottlings from Dalmore and Arran that I thought I would like and decided against buying after sampling. 

The ticket price includes £10 off a bottle, either that you buy on the day or valid for the next month at Royal Mile Whiskies. However, I'm pretty sure the price the first year I went was £30, and it's now 50% more expensive for my fifth visit.

Got tickets for the Friday this year.

I don't think £45 for access to tasting drams that you couldn't sniff any other time is too much personally. Especially with the tenner off a bottle. Done a few of these festivals and they are always brilliant. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished off a bottle of Jura Winter's Edition tonight which I think I was given as a Christmas present. I was going to say it was much nicer than most NAS but I see the price tag is a good bit more than your standard supermarket NAS fare. What surprised me more is there seems to be a market for selling empty bottles. c5ea3c726b4a15694394151cf6c80d04.jpg

16 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I finished off a bottle of Jura Winter's Edition tonight which I think I was given as a Christmas present. I was going to say it was much nicer than most NAS but I see the price tag is a good bit more than your standard supermarket NAS fare. What surprised me more is there seems to be a market for selling empty bottles. c5ea3c726b4a15694394151cf6c80d04.jpg

Is there not some left in the bottom of that?!

Is there not some left in the bottom of that?!
I took the picture before I poured the last out!

Anyway, I'm just walked through World of Whisky at the airport but I'm on a domestic flight so the choice is limited. I'm flying abroad and will probably treat myself then but they did have a 70cl bottle of Deanston 10 yo red wine cask finish available to all at £35. I know a few on here rave about Deanston but I've never had any - should I be splashing the cash?