Jump to content

whisky lovers


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Munter said:

Yes. Have had one on the go for about 5 years now using an old bottle of Hibiki 17 which with the labels removed makes an excellent recycled decanter. 
 

Over time it has ebbed and flowed from pretty much undrinkable, to amazing and back again. It’s great fun, a real talking point and interesting to experiment with the various additions. 
 

My top tip is avoid starting with anything too peaty. I had about 20% Octomore in my first blend and it destroyed any other flavours in the mix! Oh and keep a wee note of everything you put in, it’s really interesting to look back on

Thanks. I realised I was late to the party but wanted to see if it was worth doing. Tbh I've got more American whiskeys just now so I'll have a bash with those. An empty Highland Park 12 bottle is waiting to take on the job. I shall report!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

The Bunna shelf, ready for winter.

IMG_20211107_153355.jpg

IMG_20211107_153421.jpg

IMG_20211107_153439.jpg

Bottom pic middle right (moine oloroso) is one of my favourite drams of all time. I stupidly didn’t buy another when I realised just how much I love it. Just realised I need more Bunna in my life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone at the Falkirk Whisky Social lastnight? My first time at one of these things and really enjoyed it. New make spirit distilled on Thursday at Falkirk Distillery was total rocket fuel!

Is this at the new rosebank? Is it a monthly thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na its the one thats usually in Larbert but they couldnt get the Dobbie Hall booked this year. 

Ah like an annual one, wasn’t aware Larbert had one. I have tickets booked for next April for Alloa town Hall for a whisky festival, as soon as Alloa looks presentable then I know I will have had too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Bottom pic middle right (moine oloroso) is one of my favourite drams of all time. I stupidly didn’t buy another when I realised just how much I love it. Just realised I need more Bunna in my life.

It's one of my all-time faves too.  So thick it's almost like syrup. I have one more bottle set aside; they were really hard to find at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Speaking of Bunna love, they're releasing a 12yo cask strength but the RRP is £75. Assuming it's still a must buy? @V.Aye.R was mumping about the price. 

It is extracting the urine tbf. 

Made something thats got everyone excited, but £15-20 too high. 

Will it sell out? Yes. 

Is it very cynically priced? Yes. 

Watch how much springbank 12 CS sells for at RRP. A distiller with integrity and respect for its customers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

It is extracting the urine tbf. 

Made something thats got everyone excited, but £15-20 too high. 

Will it sell out? Yes. 

Is it very cynically priced? Yes. 

Watch how much springbank 12 CS sells for at RRP. A distiller with integrity and respect for its customers. 

I don't disagree with you that £75 is an awful lot for a 12 year old, but if it's a limited run and cask strength then it's not miles over.  The problem is that if, as you say, it will sell out easily, then why should they charge less?  They're a business after all.  Aberlour a'bunadh sells out at £80 these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I don't disagree with you that £75 is an awful lot for a 12 year old, but if it's a limited run and cask strength then it's not miles over.  The problem is that if, as you say, it will sell out easily, then why should they charge less?  They're a business after all.  Aberlour a'bunadh sells out at £80 these days.

I'd be giving both a wide bearth tbh.

Even ignoring the massive recession on the horizon, it just isn't logical to pay nearly double the price for 19% more alcohol in the bottle. 

I'm sure its great though, just better options out there. 

Edit

.....and ill just have some of @CountyFan 's for free

 

Edited by V.Aye.R
Extra info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

I'd be giving both a wide bearth tbh.

Even ignoring the massive recession on the horizon, it just isn't logical to pay nearly double the price for 19% more alcohol in the bottle. 

I'm sure its great though, just better options out there. 

Edit

.....and ill just have some of @CountyFan 's for free

 

You are going to hate what I paid for these the other day 😂

53E44AEC-DA73-41DD-A04C-1C8E1C544AF6.thumb.jpeg.a8c0257e25f14da78655101f2e66043b.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Blanton's is seriously overpriced so can only imagine...unless you tell us.

Yeah you are right, TBH it was more the Bowmore and Bimber I was meaning.

I didn’t think the Bowmore was too bad for the age etc, the Bimber is just a fad in my view but just wanted to add it, sitting unopened at the moment.

I think I paid just over £100 for the first Blanton I bought which was about the market price, but the 2nd I saw at £65 a month later so grabbed that one. 

The American tourists tend to snap them up over here as it’s so difficult to find in the states at retail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Yeah you are right, TBH it was more the Bowmore and Bimber I was meaning.

I didn’t think the Bowmore was too bad for the age etc, the Bimber is just a fad in my view but just wanted to add it, sitting unopened at the moment.

I think I paid just over £100 for the first Blanton I bought which was about the market price, but the 2nd I saw at £65 a month later so grabbed that one. 

The American tourists tend to snap them up over here as it’s so difficult to find in the states at retail.

Aye, I watch the American whiskeys and Blanton's is the biggest gimmick of them all. Classic supply and demand has made it extremely hard to find even in the USA and when you can it's extortionate. Selling online in Italy for 160-190 euros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Aye, I watch the American whiskeys and Blanton's is the biggest gimmick of them all. Classic supply and demand has made it extremely hard to find even in the USA and when you can it's extortionate. Selling online in Italy for 160-190 euros.

Its not *that* drastic to get - IME anyway - and it’s not that great either. There’s a few places near me I’d be able to get it at MSRP ($60-65) with a little bit of effort - supermarket over the road gets a few bottles in whenever it drops and they just plank it straight behind the CS desk so it’s just a case of calling them and asking to hold you one. Having it fund a wee Italian jaunt might be quite the thing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Its not *that* drastic to get - IME anyway - and it’s not that great either. There’s a few places near me I’d be able to get it at MSRP ($60-65) with a little bit of effort - supermarket over the road gets a few bottles in whenever it drops and they just plank it straight behind the CS desk so it’s just a case of calling them and asking to hold you one. Having it fund a wee Italian jaunt might be quite the thing!

Wonder what it's like arriving at an Italian airport with a couple of boxes of bourbon as a tourist, would you just pay the tax or is it more complicated? Must be loads of deals like that around the world, locals getting a taste for some shite Scotch whisky for example and sending the price sky high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...