whisky lovers

3 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Ive done this for both my young children at Tomatin and got a photo with them holding the bottle.

Will keep until each of them reaches 18yo in 2035 & 2038 respectively.

Well done -I recommend all my friends to at least get a bottle that is the same age as their kids or if a new born - get a cask filled. It’s totally memorable.

On 18/04/2021 at 21:21, Comrie said:

Lagavaulin is 100% more smokey than peaty. It's vey different to the other distilleries on Islay.

Agree, but I don’t find Bowmore too peaty. 
but the Lagavulin 16 yo is superb. I spent a couple of weeks working on Islay 30 years ago.Most of the locals used to drink Grouse,,, until I was buying. Then it changed to Lagavulin 16 😂😅

Mrs Mathematics father has a cask of bruichladdich, given as a gift about 10 years ago. I’m really hoping I’ve been nice enough to him to get a bottle when he finally gets it bottled.
A cask? Jesus lol that's the dream.
Did the gifter pay the Duty also?!

honestly don’t know. Wouldn’t ask.
If its still in bond, then it wont have duty applied.

I looked at buying a cask with a few pals and family members last year.

The duty near doubles the price at almost £25 per litre of pure alcohol. You're talking £10k all in easily.

I'd still like to do it one day, 10 people put in say £500 and you've got 10 years to put aside another £500 to cover the tax.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

If its still in bond, then it wont have duty applied.

I looked at buying a cask with a few pals and family members last year.

The duty near doubles the price at almost £25 per litre of pure alcohol. You're talking £10k all in easily.

I'd still like to do it one day, 10 people put in say £500 and you've got 10 years to put aside another £500 to cover the tax.

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Out of interest, how many bottles does a cask yield roughly?

Depends on the size of cask and angels share but after say 10-12 years in a hogshead about a couple hundred. Bit less for a barrel.

Edited by GiGi

A sherry hogshead would be well over 300, probably around the 350 bottles unless you choose to bottle @ Cask Strength.

Its not cheap though, more of a sentimental thing rather than a plot to get some cheap Malt.

Arran have a cask offer on their website in which its all explained in detail.

When cleaning a kitchen cupboard my Mrs found my long lost Glenlivet  Nadura. Cork is now out the bottle and a large drop poured into my glass. Didnt realise it was  61.8%. Really easy to drink though . 

On 16/04/2021 at 12:56, jimbaxters said:

Thanks. It's a few days away yet. After tasting Laphroig Ive shyed away from Isaly or peaty stuff. Am I wrong in doing that? Live in Italy so your tempting suggestion of a visit to the SMWS isn't an option unfortunately. The Milan online Whisky shop are doing some online tastings though. Do you think this looks good value based on the samples?

https://whiskyshop.it/it/eventi-degustazioni/2501/degustazione-on-line-octomore

Did this last night. Very interesting and I learned loads. The samples were from the Infrequent Flyers range and the owner Alistair Walker was there to explain each dram.  The Orkney 21 was officially from undisclosed distillery but everyone agreed it was Highland Park. That was my favourite although the panel all raved about the Bowmore 23yo. Peat was there in it but not overpowering. One lad commented that Alistair must have "big balls" to put such a nice whisky in Virgin Oak cask to finish. 

Cracked open a bottle of the Glenlivet Carribbean Reserve at the weekend.  Very enjoyable (very easy drinking, perhaps too easy) and much better once you can look beyond the appalling bright orange packaging & labelling. 

Did this last night. Very interesting and I learned loads. The samples were from the Infrequent Flyers range and the owner Alistair Walker was there to explain each dram.  The Orkney 21 was officially from undisclosed distillery but everyone agreed it was Highland Park. That was my favourite although the panel all raved about the Bowmore 23yo. Peat was there in it but not overpowering. One lad commented that Alistair must have "big balls" to put such a nice whisky in Virgin Oak cask to finish. 
There is so much indy highland park out there, some great value too.

Indy bowmore seems to be better than the core range bottles which are a bit meh

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Noticed Ledaig Rioja finish on Amazon for 36 quid which is about as much fun as you can have for under 40 quid 

Nice. 

I treated myself to the 18yo Ledaig recently. Pricey but so, so good. 

What would people recommend as an investment whisky of sorts? Say i wanted to buy a bottle of the same type every year at a price point of £200-£300 ish. Much like that guy who bought his son a bottle every year for 20 years and he sold them and used the money as a deposit for a house. 

12 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

What would people recommend as an investment whisky of sorts? Say i wanted to buy a bottle of the same type every year at a price point of £200-£300 ish. Much like that guy who bought his son a bottle every year for 20 years and he sold them and used the money as a deposit for a house. 

Few distilleries will release the same things year on year like that these days because theres so much pressure now to release new and interesting stuff. Macallan (what he did that with) is premium for some reason. His bottles were worth £40k or something mad at the end but the newer ones wont have increased in value that much, they're already really dear. 

It's hard to know what's going to be worth money in the future. I doubt he did it at the time thinking it was an investment, he just thought it was cool to have the same thing every year. 

Look for new releases, special editions etc. Some of those will be worth a lot in future but you're not going to turn £500 into £50k very easily. 

The attraction of that collection is that it was a collection. It was much greater than the sum of its parts.

Festival whiskies might be the way to go, say you had every Lagavulin festival for 20 years it might be worth something. No guarantees though