whisky lovers

I think unless you live in a rainforest or a desert this is not true. I've had bottles opened longer and all were still perfectly drinkable.
Id say that whisky just differs with age. Who's to say that the bottle opened for 4 years doesn't have something to offer?

I ordered a 1975 balblair in the station hotel (Larbert) a few years ago. Was £28 a dram. Was good to try (i was also well oiled, and could argue was ordered by mistake). It had been opened some time ago I'd guess. Was excellent.

8 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I was told at Oban not to have a bottle open longer than 24 months and ideally to drink within 18 months of opening. They were trying to sell me whisky at the time so perhaps take with a pinch of salt. 

I would have thought that would detract from the taste.

One of the things I both like and dislike about whisky is that it seems the taste of the same whisky can vary pretty dramatically.

Anyone know of a good app for rating whisky you've tried? Need to start recording them to work out what I like. Pen and paper, and then own research would be fine, but if a computer can do it...

14 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Any standout favourites for you?

Just wondering how you found the Deanston Wine Cask? Never tried it before.

Whisky does oxidize in a half full bottle over time. You might hear people also mention a 'neck pour' from a newly opened whisky which can sometimes disappoint initially before opening up.
Long term whisky will go a bit flat, different opinions on how long the sweet spot is. Mine seldom last longer than 6months.

Edit: *last 6 months before I finish them

That was a list of the ones just ordered so hopefully get this week. Out of the ones I bought for the festive, most bland I thought was The Dalmore 1263 King Alexander III  which was by far the most expensive too (had saved it for Christmas day). Wondered if it was the bottling at 40% but the Tamnavulin Tempranillo Cask I got was the same strength and really enjoyed that. Ordered from a Dutch site (stay there currently) and just noticed already had the Deanston Wine Cask from them in the previous order. Must have liked it as most of the samples have one dram left but that bottle has gone from my shelf!

There are apps for tasting notes if you look them up, but I've just used the notes app on my phone a few times to remember ones I've liked that I've tried when out and about.

12 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

One of the things I both like and dislike about whisky is that it seems the taste of the same whisky can vary pretty dramatically.

Anyone know of a good app for rating whisky you've tried? Need to start recording them to work out what I like. Pen and paper, and then own research would be fine, but if a computer can do it...

That was a list of the ones just ordered so hopefully get this week. Out of the ones I bought for the festive, most bland I thought was The Dalmore 1263 King Alexander III  which was by far the most expensive too (had saved it for Christmas day). Wondered if it was the bottling at 40% but the Tamnavulin Tempranillo Cask I got was the same strength and really enjoyed that. Ordered from a Dutch site (stay there currently) and just noticed already had the Deanston Wine Cask from them in the previous order. Must have liked it as most of the samples have one dram left but that bottle has gone from my shelf!

Whiskybase is a website rather than an app but you can curate your collection there. I have a copy of '101 whiskies to try before you die' and it has space for notes so I stick notes on those ones in there with pen too.

23 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Id say that whisky just differs with age. Who's to say that the bottle opened for 4 years doesn't have something to offer?

I ordered a 1975 balblair in the station hotel (Larbert) a few years ago. Was £28 a dram. Was good to try (i was also well oiled, and could argue was ordered by mistake). It had been opened some time ago I'd guess. Was excellent.

Excellent choice of Whisky and Bar 

My uncle was a master blender for Edrington group, he joined us on a teams thing last night from the tasting room he’s fitted out in his house. Looks good, amazing collection too, if I liked whisky.

On 19/02/2021 at 15:54, CountyFan said:

Anyone else manage to get a Torabhaig inaugural release? 

4 failed attempts 

still left in one “lottery” with Master of Malt, so fingers crossed 🤞 

remember the good old days, not that long ago, where if you wanted a bottle, you just went out and bought it 😂😂😂

4 failed attempts 
still left in one “lottery” with Master of Malt, so fingers crossed [emoji1696] 
remember the good old days, not that long ago, where if you wanted a bottle, you just went out and bought it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Assume it was a "no"?

Was a 1/52 chance apparently.

I agree on availability, you struggle to pick up indy Carn Mor bottles now. They used to gather dust on the shelves.

27 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Assume it was a "no"?

Was a 1/52 chance apparently.

I agree on availability, you struggle to pick up indy Carn Mor bottles now. They used to gather dust on the shelves.

Yip, it was a no !!
What they said was that they allegedly had over 4000 applicants for just 70 bottles.

On 22/02/2021 at 22:48, V.Aye.R said:

Birthday today, got a couple of bottles gifted; Penderyn Maderia & Talisker 10

Also managed to get a bottle of Arrrrrrrdbeg Committee Release. Had worse mondays.

Nice varied selection, hope you enjoy them & belated birthday wishes !

On 22/02/2021 at 22:48, V.Aye.R said:

Birthday today, got a couple of bottles gifted; Penderyn Maderia & Talisker 10

Also managed to get a bottle of Arrrrrrrdbeg Committee Release. Had worse mondays.

Happy birthday... can't believe I forgot. 

11 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

The Penderyn i got gifted is actually very drinkable. Anyone else acquainted?

Would never have picked it up (ridiculous bottle and my footballing hatred of the Welsh).... But i was wrong.

Not sure which I had, but my first Penderyn was my last.  Struck me as the sort of thing trading on a gimmick, being the only Welsh whisky.  Not for me.

The Penderyn i got gifted is actually very drinkable. Anyone else acquainted?

Would never have picked it up (ridiculous bottle and my footballing hatred of the Welsh).... But i was wrong.
I've had two. One from Maderia casks that was quite nice if I remember correctly.

But one that came in a red box was not good at all.