whisky lovers

That's cool. It's a nice bit of history and long since discontinued but a quick spin round the auction sites suggests it is not worth very much. I expect the sentimental value will be significantly higher to you than any monetary value. Get it cracked open and enjoy it. 

Won't have much value but im sure it'll be significantly nicer than Bells is now and enjoyable to open up and try.

The caps have a wee disc inside which can fail over time but your bottle level looks not too bad for 30+ years.

I have 2 bottles ive put away recently for my kids 18ths. Hope they last the distance.

There is a ralfy video on youtube on storage, the answer is really dependant on the conditions you store it in.

Cheers for that. Aye, no intention of selling it, just a bit curious about it. I'll definitely need it cracked open at some point, although my dad keeps telling me he drank it at my christening and what's in there is tea

29 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Dry January is daft. Why deprive yersel' only to wire in in February?

The liver can apparently do a fair amount of rebuilding work from a month completely off the booze, but January is not even remotely the one you should choose for that. February (28 days) or some shoulder month like May is much more realistic than pretending that your New Year's Day hangover requires a month of deliberate misery on the wagon. In a lockdown of all things as well. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The liver can apparently do a fair amount of rebuilding work from a month completely off the booze, but January is not even remotely the one you should choose for that. February (28 days) or some shoulder month like May is much more realistic than pretending that your New Year's Day hangover requires a month of deliberate misery on the wagon. In a lockdown of all things as well. 

Counting the days miserably in "dry January" is a folly on a parallel to "Vegananuary". Both the decision of silly old hectors.

Counting the days miserably in "dry January" is a folly on a parallel to "Vegananuary". Both the decision of silly old hectors.
Not sure you can make a direct and immediate health claim on Vegan dieting in contrast to alcohol lol.

Ive enjoyed my time off the drink, will look forward to partaking again however. Albeit a little lighter and feeling better for it.

Each to their own though.

If and when restrictions are lifted I'm fully intending on going absolutely fucking tonto in pubs, at BBQs, at race tracks, at the football, round my dads bit and anywhere else I can get a drink with a fellow human. I'm doing dry January as some misdirected attempt to mitigate the impact of that impending carnage. 

16 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Not sure you can make a direct and immediate health claim on Vegan dieting in contrast to alcohol lol.

Ive enjoyed my time off the drink, will look forward to partaking again however. Albeit a little lighter and feeling better for it.

Each to their own though.

I wasn't commenting on the health benefits of either, pal. The correlation was more about the pointless nature of doing it for a month then smashing the drink or the burgers in February.

Fads.

I wasn't commenting on the health benefits of either, pal. The correlation was more about the pointless nature of doing it for a month then smashing the drink or the burgers in February.
Fads.
Pointless in your weird made up scenario where someone starts smashing it an eating burgers. [emoji2371]

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Fads.

The point of staying off it for a month is to let the liver repair, and lead to drinking less after it. The fact that it's January is just arbitrary.

Haggis, neeps and tatties tonight so cracked open a bottle from the vault - Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold.

Been there a while as not a fan of NAS whisky and this reinforces my opinion. It's harsh and has no age. The blurb seems to suggest it's made from "winter grain" and that it would benefit from being kept refrigerated or even in a freezer, WTF.

It's going into the "cooking and coffee" cupboard. I've a bottle of Johnnie Black that the wife's gran found in a cupboard after her grampa died that's pre bar code that was being used for that job and I would honestly say it's better than the Dalwhinnie effort.

Anyone else tried this ?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Haggis, neeps and tatties tonight so cracked open a bottle from the vault - Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold.

Been there a while as not a fan of NAS whisky and this reinforces my opinion. It's harsh and has no age. The blurb seems to suggest it's made from "winter grain" and that it would benefit from being kept refrigerated or even in a freezer, WTF.

It's going into the "cooking and coffee" cupboard. I've a bottle of Johnnie Black that the wife's gran found in a cupboard after her grampa died that's pre bar code that was being used for that job and I would honestly say it's better than the Dalwhinnie effort.

Anyone else tried this ?

Which one? Winter's gold is fucking shite.

JWB is a perfectly serviceable blend and I have a lot of time for the green.

I have a bottle of black left having found 3 dotted about in various hidey  holes in my old house. Obviously an alky lived there before or my wife has a habit. She hates whisky though. Had it been vodka i would have been worried.

Tried this last night and it was stunning but a stunning price too 

https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/johnnie-walker-blue-label-legendary-eight-700ml_R03685561/?previewSize=700ml&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-FOODHALL-_-JOHNNIEWALKER&POR=Y&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na_na_pla-b_na_na_na_DOM_PLA-FOODHALL-WINESANDSPIRITS-SHOPTAIL-CSSTEST-W3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8bKui4az7gIVxrHtCh00wgQMEAQYCCABEgKx2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by invergowrie arab

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

What are your thoughts on that stuff? I personally thought it was not good.

He’s tanned the bottle so he either though it’s was ok at best or was too drunk notice otherwise!