whisky lovers

Guest bernardblack

Fairly new to whisky here.

Recently enjoyed a laphroig and a talisker 10...enjoyed the latter more.

Any recommendations from the esteemed group?

Budget is probably £30 tops

Is 60 quid for SMWS 'value"?

Probably not for whisky, you can get single cask independent bottling without paying a membership fee,  but it's definitely 60 quid worth of fun.

Cadenheads is 50 for a lifetime membership but I would pay 60 a year just to visit the member rooms which in normal times I would do about 4-6 times a year. Make that 10 with the Bath St rooms if I ever get to go again.

The outturn nights are great fun too but TBF you do only get 2 quid off being a member.

The virtual tasting over lockdown have been good fun too I hope they continue them as the outturn nights only make it to Dundee once a year.

Glen Scotia Double Cask might be one to try.
Sweet with a wee hint of smoke. A Campbeltown distillery which have their own unique style.

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

Sadly the price hikes in whisky in the last couple of years mean that £30 is probably the minimum you'll pay for a single malt these days, with a couple of exceptions.

Ardmore legacy is one of those bottles constantly on offer in Tesco etc so keep an eye out for that when it's available around £20.

Laphroaig Select or Quarter Cask can also be found for around £25-30 when on offer in supermarkets. One I'd recommend that's just over your budget at the moment is Kilkerran 12, normally around £35-40, but based on your preferences above it seems like a good fit. Glen Scotia Double cask is also in that price range. There's also Glen Scotia Campbeltown Harbour which has been on the go for £25 when it was first released, might be on offer somewhere. 

There's plenty of Islay ones I could suggest but you wouldn't normally see them under £40. However, it's also coming up for Black Friday and Christmas shopping time which generally sees a lot of offers so definitely worth looking out for some deals in the next couple of weeks. 

Tamnavulin Red Wine cask has been available in coop for £22 for a while now. My favourite budget whisky at present.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Is that not technically a Rob Roy? Even though it's American Oak.

Dunno. It was very tasty either way and American Oak would make a better bourbon than a whisky anyway.

On 19/11/2020 at 10:01, bernardblack said:

Bargain peaty , get yourself an Ardmore , 20 somthing quid I’m my local co op , 

13 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Its terrific. Caol ila apparently. 

I got one last week. I use the forum at scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk and when it was announced people were predicting that, as Caol Ila have a history of supplying supermarkets. But so do Bowmore, and most people having tasted it are guessing Bowmore, and I’d probably agree.

Hopefully this should be handy for you as you'll evidently favour the ones along the top. That said, I used to be a solid smoky-peat lover but I've mellowed towards Speysides over time and don't enjoy my 16yo Lagavulin nearly as much as I used to.

IMG_0692.jpg

Its terrific. Caol ila apparently. 

I see the cask strength 16yo Caol Ila typically sells for upwards of £150, so although price doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, I can only imagine that even the watered down version is rather fine. Will probably buy on my next trip past Lidl, thanks.

Guest bernardblack
I see the cask strength 16yo Caol Ila typically sells for upwards of £150, so although price doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, I can only imagine that even the watered down version is rather fine. Will probably buy on my next trip past Lidl, thanks.

That’s a superb guide, cheers!