whisky lovers

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You must be quite knowledgeable to recognise which whiskies are from back then by looking at the label.

I was looking at a whisky auction at the weekend and trying to find old blends by hunting for the ones without barcodes. I never ended up buying anything but that was my best idea on how to find the older blends. Sometimes you can find one without the ABV on the label. They must be quite old.

Not in the least. I'm trusting the auction sites description in these matters.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/5737/johnnie-walker-red-label-bot1970s?utm_source=twe-aff-core&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=aff-core-4431901

14 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Good Spirits Co hosting a Glenfarclas tasting on Thu 4th Dec. 5x 50ml samples.

Decent value at £25 and 20% off anything tasted on the night.

https://www.thegoodspiritsco.com/tastings/37744-virtual-glenfarclas-whisky-tasting-thursday-3rd-december-2020-7-9pm.html

Everyone needs a bit of Glenfarclas for Christmas emoji319.pngemoji1634.png

105, 12, 15, 17, 21 IMO. Or skip the 12 and include the 25 if they're being generous.

Big measures right enough. Sounds like a good night.

54 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Good Spirits Co hosting a Glenfarclas tasting on Thu 4th Dec. 5x 50ml samples.

Decent value at £25 and 20% off anything tasted on the night.

https://www.thegoodspiritsco.com/tastings/37744-virtual-glenfarclas-whisky-tasting-thursday-3rd-december-2020-7-9pm.html

Everyone needs a bit of Glenfarclas for Christmas emoji319.pngemoji1634.png

sold out . Boooo!!!

Does look excellent value, alost finished my 25 too. Will need to get another

Oh well, I have a new Clynelish and Bunna , my 2 current favourite distilleries, to crack open tonight

Edited by invergowrie arab

sold out . Boooo!!!
Does look excellent value, alost finished my 25 too. Will need to get another
Oh well, I have a new Clynelish and Bunna , my 2 current favourite distilleries, to crack open tonight
It wasn't about 2hrs ago! [emoji58]

Clynelish 14 was a bottle I was glad to tick off the list, will go back to it one day. So many more to try.

Other than the 12, the Bunna Mòine was about 40quid on amazon and just lovely. Didn't last long on my shelf.

On 05/11/2020 at 21:08, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm drinking this Jack Daniels single barrel whiskey. Nice stuff. £30 a bottle in the sale price. Have ordered the JD 4 year old rye on the back of this. 

I've probably tried more Bourbons than our own countries partly because of living over there.

I prefer the bourbons to the Tennessee's, if you get the chance Stagg Jr, Four Roses single barrel, Elijah Craig or Old Fitzgerald are up there for me.

Even the Wild Turkey 101 that you can get in Tesco or their Rare Breed are a decent every night sipper.

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I've probably tried more Bourbons than our own countries partly because of living over there.

I prefer the bourbons to the Tennessee's, if you get the chance Stagg Jr, Four Roses single barrel, Elijah Craig or Old Fitzgerald are up there for me.

Even the Wild Turkey 101 that you can get in Tesco or their Rare Breed are a decent every night sipper.

Cheers. I'll keep an eye on them. I have been looking at the bourbons and not sure which ones are worth trying. Rittenhouse rye and Basil Hayden have been looking tempting. And Few have some options. Yep, lots to choose from. Thanks.

I had a 13yo George Dickel. Was absolutely superb. Unusual to get a Tennessee that old.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I had a search for the barrel proof Elijah Craig and it is a bit pricey.

Settled for this 6 yrs old Pikesville rye

https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/78205/pikesville-06-year-old

Looking forward to it. 

I got a bottle of that barrel proof version of Elijah Craig for Fathers Day and still not opened it, the 65.72 alc/vol has been making me fearful!

I actually almost opened it after the penalties on Thursday night, I might be tempted now.

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

28 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I got a bottle of that barrel proof version of Elijah Craig for Fathers Day and still not opened it, the 65.72 alc/vol has been making me fearful!

I actually almost opened it after the penalties on Thursday night, I might be tempted now.

Get it open, you will love it. We need to know!!

22 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Get it open, you will love it. We need to know!!

Wow, that extra proof adds to it rather than take away the flavour.

The initial smell didn't give anything away for me, however a really heavy flavour with heat, that lingers but doesn't overpower it, this might be my new favourite.

It doesn't need a splash either, perfect on its own for my taste, recommend definately.

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

56 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Does anyone know anything about Snow Grouse?

It was discontinued but appears to have made a comeback!? Not sure if it was always such a dark colour though :unsure2:

I'm naturally suspicious about anything that is "designed" to be drank cold. 

My grandad is a Grouse fan and says it was fine though. It's certainly darker than it was but it was pretty peely wally before so don't know if that's a cause for concern 

I'm naturally suspicious about anything that is "designed" to be drank cold. 
My grandad is a Grouse fan and says it was fine though. It's certainly darker than it was but it was pretty peely wally before so don't know if that's a cause for concern 
Aye, just basic sensory suggests that cold isnt good for spirits.