whisky lovers

Been hearing good things about the new Ben Riach 12 (triple cask finish) so ordered one for next time home and also Highland Park Cask Strength batch number 1.

I think the latter is HP getting in to the ‘budget’ cask strength sherry bomb market like Glenfarclas 105 and Aberlour a'bunadh (used to be cheap). 

The GlenAllachie cask strength  batch 4 is out. 10yo and retailing around 55 quid. If it's anything like batch 3 that's pretty good value IMO. Incredible colour on it.

Doing a virtual tasting tonight. Reserve the right to get blootered and buy all the bottles. 

27 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

The GlenAllachie cask strength  batch 4 is out. 10yo and retailing around 55 quid. If it's anything like batch 3 that's pretty good value IMO. Incredible colour on it.

Doing a virtual tasting tonight. Reserve the right to get blootered and buy all the bottles. 

What malts are in the tasting? 

You can recommend which ones are best.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

What malts are in the tasting? 

You can recommend which ones are best.

It's all north star. Vega 22, Orkney 13, Spica 40 (forty!), longmorn 15, bowmore 18, glenturret 8 

I've died and gone to fucking heaven. 

36 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

How big are the tasters? 

25ml. The tasting cost 25 quid I think and it was a Macmillan thing. They raised 1900 quid. Good evening all round, except I apparently left my mic off mute and they all heard my full time kebab being delivered. 

4 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

25ml. The tasting cost 25 quid I think and it was a Macmillan thing. They raised 1900 quid. Good evening all round, except I apparently left my mic off mute and they all heard my full time kebab being delivered. 

Haha. That's the way to do it. Glad you enjoyed it, it was the same thing I was looking at. Which one was value for money? 

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Whisky is wasted on me, but my cousin works in the industry. This was how she spent her evening, would mean nothing to me but I'm sure a few posters would have enjoyed it.

Looks like a worldy. I saw they were doing the Hazelburn tasting a couple of nights ago as well.

I’ve been gifted a £100 bottle to choose. Considering possibly Balvenie Doublewood 17, Glengoyne 18 or something completely different.
Any recommendations?
For £100 I'd give any of the limited release Deanston some thought. Very underrated distillery from the owners of Bunnahabhain and Tobermory.

Master of Malt have lauched a subscription tasting box, first one comes with 2 Glasses, 5 samples for £20 delivered. Got mine today.

Code: P&SAFFIL20

Just remember to email and cancel if you don't want to pay £30 for future months

https://pourandsip.com/?_ga=2.65183982.174505702.1604012115-557781300.1602018639&_gac=1.194444511.1603745395.Cj0KCQjw59n8BRD2ARIsAAmgPmLeSurSy2_5dFCQRduNTXn6M_jHuZj4U2VguODN-VTBwi_YxZAyg04aAoKFEALw_wcB&s=09

2 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Was up at Tomatin today, picked up a 2001 PX Distillery Exclusive. Tucking it away until my daughter turns 18.

Anyone else got whisky stashed away for the long haul?

Not something I do. If I see it and I like it I'll drink it.

If a special occasion comes up in future I'll just get something for it then.

Edited by GiGi

Not something I do. If I see it and I like it I'll drink it.
If a special occasion comes up in future I'll just get something for it then.
Fair enough, I get that.

I got the idea from my father in law, when I proposed to his daughter and we arrived at the house with the news he disappeared upstairs and came back with a 1988 Bells Ceramic Decanter and cracked it. He bought 3 in total, one for each of his kids for that "big news" moment.

He gave me another try on the morning of the wedding which was pretty cool.

Ps. Bells from 1988 is actually really nice.

36 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Fair enough, I get that.

I got the idea from my father in law, when I proposed to his daughter and we arrived at the house with the news he disappeared upstairs and came back with a 1988 Bells Ceramic Decanter and cracked it. He bought 3 in total, one for each of his kids for that "big news" moment.

He gave me another try on the morning of the wedding which was pretty cool.

Ps. Bells from 1988 is actually really nice.

A lot of the old blends used much more old whisky than you get these days.

If you can pick up blends from the 70s and 80s they are well worth a punt as some of them have very generous portions of 20yr + malts within.

Was up at Tomatin today, picked up a 2001 PX Distillery Exclusive. Tucking it away until my daughter turns 18.

Anyone else got whisky stashed away for the long haul?
Yes. My wee boy poured a Valinch at Bruichladdich and scribbled the name onto the label when he was about 4.

He'll get it when he's 18. The fact that the label is totally illegible will mean he will have no choice other than to drink it, and hopefully share some with me.

I think it was a sherry cask 15yo, from memory, but I've got a photo somewhere of the actual contents.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

A lot of the old blends used much more old whisky than you get these days.

If you can pick up blends from the 70s and 80s they are well worth a punt as some of them have very generous portions of 20yr + malts within.

You must be quite knowledgeable to recognise which whiskies are from back then by looking at the label.

I was looking at a whisky auction at the weekend and trying to find old blends by hunting for the ones without barcodes. I never ended up buying anything but that was my best idea on how to find the older blends. Sometimes you can find one without the ABV on the label. They must be quite old.