Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I was given a bottle of Belgian whisky, "Owl". Fairly impressed.

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

You get gift packs like this but its an expensive way to buy whisky https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/13586/talisker-gift-pack-3x20cl?source=&gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMctZwat6Y3oa17du2dRqq6W-ptLrgNCCKoXBLWMLCgc6S6hOuCH1GxoCevEQAvD_BwE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

Cadenheads do some 200 ml bottles for around £20-£30. They change all the time but a decent opportunity to try something different. Need to visit the shop though, either Royal Mile or Campbeltown. 

Alternatively, find 6 like minded souls and split the cost of a bottle between you and decant into 100ml bottles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigTidy said:

Cadenheads do some 200 ml bottles for around £20-£30. They change all the time but a decent opportunity to try something different. Need to visit the shop though, either Royal Mile or Campbeltown. 

Alternatively, find 6 like minded souls and split the cost of a bottle between you and decant into 100ml bottles

Aye, Cadenheads shop will deliver but it's extortionate. Something like a tenner for a bottle or twenty for 2-6 bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Oban a few weeks ago and popped into the distillery shop. They sell 200ml bottles of their 14yo for £17. Obviously more expensive pro-rata than a full bottle at £45 but not too expensive for giving it a decent try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

Tried a Dutch whisky a couple of weeks ago which I was pleasantly surprised with, Millstone Peated PX Finish. Was in a bar in Rotterdam called Café De Ouwehoer (literally translated as The Old Whorehouse). Good menu and plenty of malts (like Ardbeg 10yo) starting at EUR 3.50 which was an even better surprise! A Grouse was EUR 4.00 though... 

On another topic, are smaller bottles of malts a "thing" (talking 100ml to 250ish ml)? I'd like to get a mix of types but not wanting to shell out on normal sized bottles at the moment. I've had a look but doesn't seem to be much of a market.

The 'taster pack' bottles tend to be from the same distillery family and as mentioned, is a relatively expensive way to do it.

Master of Malt will do measures of 'packs' or you can select your own samples

https://www.masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/drinks-by-the-dram/regions-of-scotland-whisky-tasting-set/?utm_content=drinks-by-the-dram/regions-of-scotland-whisky-tasting-set&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsuGsk_2V6wIVOYBQBh1_wQEaEAQYASABEgJUBfD_BwE

Cgars do a monthly subscription if you fancy that

https://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/cigarblog/whisky-subscription-6639/

 

But to be honest, I started by buying the distillers age statements from supermarkets that were discounted to around the £25 mark, and kept my eye out for deal of the day on amazon at around the same price mark, free delivery

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=gbps_ftr_s-4_0ae6_wht_35858303?tag=22&gb_f_todaysdeals=dealStates:AVAILABLE%2CWAITLIST%2CWAITLISTFULL%2CUPCOMING%2CEXPIRED%2CSOLDOUT,dealTypes:DEAL_OF_THE_DAY%2CLIGHTNING_DEAL%2CBEST_DEAL,sortOrder:BY_SCORE,enforcedCategories:358583031&pf_rd_p=332a3804-7d7f-4c59-934d-6b61bbbc6e70ae6&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=KG4JJ68AJCWRJ5SYWCCV&ie=UTF8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, I had a miniature of Deanston 12 year old. Found it spicy & fruity, like a good carrot cake. Very tempted to order a bottle of Madeira cask as I think that be right up my street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished this , yesterday , sad to see it go , but on to the next one! , now to decide what to open and put in the “good stuff” corner 

9D47B613-924D-4D18-80AC-D6E596DE0074.jpeg

Edited by bishopburn boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Tobermory today and picked up the Bordeaux  cask Ledaig. Interestingly has been in the Bordeaux cask for full ten years as opposed to being finished in it.

Probably would have preferred to try this without the added complication of peat but looking forward to it as a winter whisky 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 23:07, invergowrie arab said:

In Tobermory today and picked up the Bordeaux  cask Ledaig. Interestingly has been in the Bordeaux cask for full ten years as opposed to being finished in it.

Probably would have preferred to try this without the added complication of peat but looking forward to it as a winter whisky 

I'm away to Oban next week for a few days on account of the fact that Europe is fucking shut. Doing the tour at Oban obvs. Is the ferry to Tobermory ok at the moment for non-residents? Last thing I want to be is an unwanted tourist. Assuming it is I'll stop in at Tobermory distillery too. 

Had a few too many drams last night for a school night but rather enjoyed myself. Yamazaki distillers edition (tastes like strawberries), Sirius 31 yo and one of my all time favourites, Longmorn 16 to finish it off. Sare heid today was worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I'm away to Oban next week for a few days on account of the fact that Europe is fucking shut. Doing the tour at Oban obvs. Is the ferry to Tobermory ok at the moment for non-residents? Last thing I want to be is an unwanted tourist. Assuming it is I'll stop in at Tobermory distillery too. 

Had a few too many drams last night for a school night but rather enjoyed myself. Yamazaki distillers edition (tastes like strawberries), Sirius 31 yo and one of my all time favourites, Longmorn 16 to finish it off. Sare heid today was worth it. 

Ferry is fine. Loads of tourists about but I would say not worth trip if distillery is your only reason for going. You get 15 minutes in the shop and a couple of samples and that's it.

Ferry was booked solid for all of last week so worth booking ahead if you are going with a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ferry is fine. Loads of tourists about but I would say not worth trip if distillery is your only reason for going. You get 15 minutes in the shop and a couple of samples and that's it.

Ferry was booked solid for all of last week so worth booking ahead if you are going with a car.

Yeah I'll just pop into the shop at tobermory, I think 2 distillery trips will be pushing it. We will be on foot, just a day trip to tobermory I think rather than a proper spin round Mull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old man got Ardbeg 12 year old on a discontinued deal in Tesco for 23.50. Checked the Tesco in Dundee and it was still 47. Seething.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oban was great. Friendly staff, know what they are talking about. 4 nips (14yo, little bay NAS, distillers reserve and distillery exclusive bottling) and an hour of chat for £17.50. Very reasonable. 

Bought a bottle of distillers reserve at 65 quid. It retails at 70 but they gave us a 5 pound off voucher and also a free glencairn glass with Oban branding. The distillers edition is a regular 14yo (white oak cask) which is finished for a year or so in a sherry cask. It was very nice indeed, looking forward to getting it home. 

The distillery exclusive bottling was also good but at £150 it just wasnt worth it. I actually preferred the distillers edition that I ended up buying anyway. The exclusive bottling was really peppery and tasted young for some reason. They also were selling the GoT stuff but thankfully weren't peddling it, I think they know its shite. 

Going to Tobermory tomorrow so will see what they have going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tobermory is shut except for the shop but they gave us two wee tasters in the shop which was kind of them. Bought a standard Tobermory 12yo and a couple of tasters of the good stuff at £10 per nip... wasnt going to get away with another expensive bottle! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobermory is shut except for the shop but they gave us two wee tasters in the shop which was kind of them. Bought a standard Tobermory 12yo and a couple of tasters of the good stuff at £10 per nip... wasnt going to get away with another expensive bottle! 


Tobermory are (or used to be) one of the only distilleries who won’t deliver. A few years ago, they did a 15yo sherry finish which was fantastic. I bought a bottle at the distillery and was so impressed I called them up a month later and asked to buy 6 bottles. They said ok but I had to collect them at the distillery. I offered to pay the shipping to Inverness but they wouldn’t have it. Said I had to come to Mull to collect (I didn’t)

Pain in the arse because that expression is no more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 22:51, Mr Tourette said:

 


Tobermory are (or used to be) one of the only distilleries who won’t deliver. A few years ago, they did a 15yo sherry finish which was fantastic. I bought a bottle at the distillery and was so impressed I called them up a month later and asked to buy 6 bottles. They said ok but I had to collect them at the distillery. I offered to pay the shipping to Inverness but they wouldn’t have it. Said I had to come to Mull to collect (I didn’t)

Pain in the arse because that expression is no more

 

They do online deliveries now: 

https://tobermorydistillery.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this as a birthday present months ago but only just opened it now. Very decent. Got a kick off it which I like. Its 12 yo but certainly a notch above their standard 12 which I really do like.

A6FDC63A-A618-4D44-82C5-6A54277BE11E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...