whisky lovers

Following a tip-off from[mention=21997]Hamish[/mention]'s Passenger a few weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of 12yo Old Pulteney for the kids to give me for Father's Day. The Amazon whisky website should come with some sort of warning- I ended up deciding to treat myself with a bottle of 12yo Bunnahbhain for £30 although that ended up with the kids giving me that as well so they could both give me a bottle. Tried both last night and both are lovely with the Bunnahbhain in particular having a lovely long-lasting aftertaste. 20200621_210027.thumb.jpg.d3eda4db0950e47a8cb56be60729fdf4.jpg

Bunnahabhain is my favourite dram. Glad i could have been of assistance [emoji23]

Following a tip-off from[mention=21997]Hamish[/mention]'s Passenger a few weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of 12yo Old Pulteney for the kids to give me for Father's Day. The Amazon whisky website should come with some sort of warning- I ended up deciding to treat myself with a bottle of 12yo Bunnahbhain for £30 although that ended up with the kids giving me that as well so they could both give me a bottle. Tried both last night and both are lovely with the Bunnahbhain in particular having a lovely long-lasting aftertaste. 20200621_210027.thumb.jpg.d3eda4db0950e47a8cb56be60729fdf4.jpg
2 of my favourites right there!!

I love Bunnahabhain. Prefer the 18 to the 25 but could quite easily make do with the 12. 

I bought a couple of one of their Islay festivals limited editions a few years back. One to drink, one to sell, drank both.

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Cracked open a ten year old Old Pulteney from Carn Mor, an indy bottler who I hadn't heard of before. This bottle cost me £45 and its fucking incredible. Like licking Wick's harbour wall. 

I've had 2 bottles from Carn Mor and they are both among the worst whisky I've tried. Suppose that's your luck with indies.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I've had 2 bottles from Carn Mor and they are both among the worst whisky I've tried. Suppose that's your luck with indies.

Which distilleries? That's still the .most important part. 

7 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Which distilleries? That's still the .most important part. 

Auchentoshan and Glenturret. I've had several single cask bottles from both which were really good but these were just nasty.

How is the Arran 10 yo? Looking for something a bit different for a gift in the £30 region... Different as in not something you see in every supermarket etc
Depends what u look for but I found it to be rather disappointing. The only arran that I found to be any decent is the 14 year old which is really rather nice, at the time of trying it it was only available direct from the distillery.

2 hours ago, wellfan09 said:

How is the Arran 10 yo? Looking for something a bit different for a gift in the £30 region... Different as in not something you see in every supermarket etc

I've only tried Japanese whisky the once (I can't remember what it was) and it was really nice. I have been thinking of trying some more. Try this and let me know. Cheers. 🙂

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/36362/suntory-toki

Under £30 and free for click and collect.

I've only tried Japanese whisky the once (I can't remember what it was) and it was really nice. I have been thinking of trying some more. Try this and let me know. Cheers. [emoji846]

I've just recently polished a bottle of this off that I got as a father's day present! Very easy to drink and has definitely intrigued me enough to investigate further into Japanese malts. Tried it with a variety of mixers, going particularly well with ginger ale and slice of lime, but although a blend it is still light and smooth enough to have straight, almost too light, really doesn't feel like a 43% spirit!

11 hours ago, GiGi said:

Auchentoshan and Glenturret. I've had several single cask bottles from both which were really good but these were just nasty.

I had their Milton Duff 9 bourbon cask, it was pretty decent. Just your luck of the draw I suppose.

Drinking the last dribbles from my 9 year old Bunnahabhain from SMWS, I didn't want to finish it but decided enough was enough, I could not sit looking at that last drop any longer. 

Matured for seven years in a bourbon hogshead before being transferred to a Madeira drum that had previously held whisky from the Laphroaig Distillery.

Cask Number - 10.187. 61.3%. 

What a great bottle. If you ever see it then you should buy it. 

On 14/06/2020 at 21:40, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I think I have a slightly inverted relationship with the Islay malts to most people in that Laphroaig is the first whisky I ever really liked so to me it's the non peaty/smoky ones I have had to work a little at liking. Go to options for me are Laphroaig, Old Pulteney and Glen Keith, with Lagavulin being the 'push the boat out' option. 

Keen to try some of the ones that get a good write up on here like Talisker but also some of the ones that are independently owned rather than being subsidiaries of wankers like Diageo. I know Kilchoman and Springbank are on that list, are there any other good ones?

Any bottle with ‘Deanston’ written on it.

On 29/06/2020 at 11:07, JamesP_81 said:
On 29/06/2020 at 10:29, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:
I've only tried Japanese whisky the once (I can't remember what it was) and it was really nice. I have been thinking of trying some more. Try this and let me know. Cheers. emoji846.png

I've just recently polished a bottle of this off that I got as a father's day present! Very easy to drink and has definitely intrigued me enough to investigate further into Japanese malts. Tried it with a variety of mixers, going particularly well with ginger ale and slice of lime, but although a blend it is still light and smooth enough to have straight, almost too light, really doesn't feel like a 43% spirit!

Give the investigating a couple of years mate, Japan has a horrific shortage of core spirit just now. A couple of years back you could pick up Yamazaki 12 for 35-40 quid, now it’s up over 100. 

10 hours ago, Peedzy said:

There's some really nice looking releases on Whiskybroker this morning

https://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/bottles-c-1

What's the script with that? Some of those look amazing. Indy bottled dalmore 13 yo at 60 sheets... what's the catch?

Edited by CountyFan
Drunk figners

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

What's the script with that? Some of those look amazing. Indy bottled dalmore 13 yo at 60 sheets... what's the catch?

Yeah. That does look like too good to be true stuff.

Ok worked it out now. It's private casks so whilst most Indy bottlers will select casks this could really be of any quality. For the price I would say it's worth a punt though.

Edited by invergowrie arab