whisky lovers

I drink a lot of whiskeys.  It's my tipple of choice for many years.  Now the most rancid stuff I have ever had is this.  My god I cannot describe the aftertaste.  It's chemical and bitter and sour.  I gave it to some workmates to try because it's like that film the Room, so bad you can't believe it.  Awful, just awful.  The Arran Cote Rotie.  I have bought another one for when someone at my work retires this year as he's an arse and the tradition is a bottle of whiskey.

arran-cote-rotie-cask-finish-whisky.jpg

On 04/06/2020 at 21:06, gannonball said:

Having another dram of this tonight. Been drinking it sparingly as it really is a top dram. So light and delicate for the abv yet full of flavour somehow. 

C70B528C-883E-4035-8D1C-5BE8F637D48D.jpeg

ETA - this thread title should really Be changed to Deanston lovers, fair fan club on here.

Heads up, 18 year old on sale £60.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deanston-Year-Single-Scotch-Whisky/dp/B013H3215S

7 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

That is decent value. Already bought a few whiskies this week (hp dark origins x2  and a cheap 22 y/o from whisky broker)  so may have to pass but can see the pnb deano possy buying a few.

8 hours ago, Lofarl said:

I drink a lot of whiskeys.  It's my tipple of choice for many years.  Now the most rancid stuff I have ever had is this.  My god I cannot describe the aftertaste.  It's chemical and bitter and sour.  I gave it to some workmates to try because it's like that film the Room, so bad you can't believe it.  Awful, just awful.  The Arran Cote Rotie.  I have bought another one for when someone at my work retires this year as he's an arse and the tradition is a bottle of whiskey.

arran-cote-rotie-cask-finish-whisky.jpg

One of the most disappointing bottles I got was a port cask finish from there. My ex got it in the whisky shop as a birthday present and the time before she came back with one I buy often now ( Ben Riach Birnie Moss, good value peat monster) after asking for advice instore so I had high hopes after she asked again. This was a 16 y/o but it was rough as f**k, very salty too. Had it for yonks before I put it in my dregs bottle, they must have been told to try and shift it to unsuspecting customers. Has put me off buying Arran malt ever again.

On 16/06/2020 at 23:03, invergowrie arab said:

Jura 16 Diurachs Own was pretty dece back in the day but they really have been toiling these past few years.

Yeah only liked Jura when first started drinking whisky as find it too meh now but I did like the Diurachs own when I was given a bottle a good few years ago, was surprisingly flavoursome.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

That is decent value. Already bought a few whiskies this week (hp dark origins x2  and a cheap 22 y/o from whisky broker)  so may have to pass but can see the pnb deano possy buying a few.

Aye, I have been putting off buying more bottles but fancied this after trying the 14 year old.

Accidentally joined Amazon Prime when buying it.  Next day delivery is pretty good though.

20 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Compass box originally got a lot of stick from the Scotch Whisky Association ( the SWA - the distillers trade association) for being too transparent in what they were doing , they appear to have backed off a bit now (the SWA) but it seems a strange old world where telling people what they are getting is deemed negative 

The Compass Box website gives you a detailed breakdown of what is in each blend. I got the Great King Street for a Christmas present and really liked it, https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/index.php?id=5#prettyPhoto Turns out it has Clynelish and Linkwood in it, two of my favourites. 

Picked up the Glasgow Blend last week, it starts off similar but they added Laphroaig to give it some smoke. 

The transparency of what is in each blend is great, encourages me to buy something rather than puts me off. 

8 hours ago, BigTidy said:

The Compass Box website gives you a detailed breakdown of what is in each blend. I got the Great King Street for a Christmas present and really liked it, https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/index.php?id=5#prettyPhoto Turns out it has Clynelish and Linkwood in it, two of my favourites. 

Picked up the Glasgow Blend last week, it starts off similar but they added Laphroaig to give it some smoke. 

The transparency of what is in each blend is great, encourages me to buy something rather than puts me off. 

That looks an interesting website, I'm going to try to find some time to have a good look at it.  I have a few of my own wee blends on the go just now and I think that'll give me some more encouragement to carry on mixing up my own flavours.

You do it with food so why not whisky? (Because you don't want to waste good whisky making rubbish homeblends)

You might be interested in this one. Found it when looking for special offers.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/47443/compass-box-juveniles

I didnt buy another but I did pour a dram of mine. Deanston fast becoming my absolute favourite distillery (with nods to Glengoyne, Longmorn and Glendronach). 

There is just too much good stuff out there. 

12 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

That looks an interesting website, I'm going to try to find some time to have a good look at it.  I have a few of my own wee blends on the go just now and I think that'll give me some more encouragement to carry on mixing up my own flavours.

You do it with food so why not whisky? (Because you don't want to waste good whisky making rubbish homeblends)

You might be interested in this one. Found it when looking for special offers.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/47443/compass-box-juveniles

Duly purchased.

I have heard good things about it but thought I'd missed my chance to buy it as it's a special edition and was always out of stock when I looked. 30% Clynelish apparently, sounds like my kind of blend. 

On 19/06/2020 at 14:58, Steve_Wilkos said:

Picked up these two badboys from my local off licence. £50 for the two.

The single malt opened is lovely.

IMG_20200619_145641.jpg

Note , the single Malt , isn’t a single malt , it’s a single grain , so it is the product of a mixed cereal fermentation ( what our American friends refer to as a “mashbill” ) and in all likelyhood a continuous ( or “Coffey” ) still , from a single distillery . That  does not make it bad , I’ve had plenty of good ( and some great )  single grain and you can get fantastic value on old single grain whisky that knocks spots of equivalent aged single malt.

Your local offie , you say , come clean  eh ,😉, Aldi does some really nice stuff and offers great value for it. 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Effing autocorrect , and not paying attention

On 21/06/2020 at 12:54, Juanhourjoe said:

A nice birthday treat from the wife last night. Sample of 5 drams from malt room Inverness paired with some doughnuts, from the shop next door.

A mate of mine loves this deal. See instadram on Instagram.

Following a tip-off from@Hamish's Passenger a few weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of 12yo Old Pulteney for the kids to give me for Father's Day. The Amazon whisky website should come with some sort of warning- I ended up deciding to treat myself with a bottle of 12yo Bunnahbhain for £30 although that ended up with the kids giving me that as well so they could both give me a bottle. Tried both last night and both are lovely with the Bunnahbhain in particular having a lovely long-lasting aftertaste. 20200621_210027.jpg