whisky lovers

I grabbed a bottle of Talisker 18 in a deal a while ago and it's excellent. The wood-smokiness is less pronounced but the honeycomb flavours are more in balance, a really well crafted, harmonious drink.

The best value 18yo whisky on the planet. Worth every penny

4 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

The best value 18yo whisky on the planet. Worth every penny

I'd have it up there with Glendronach and Bunnahabhain but the latter is like golddust now and also dearer than the others.

Been reading this with interest. Just started getting into whisky recently after a tasting at a hotel around Christmas. The two headlines there were Laphroig and Dalmore (don't know which year it was). Way preferred the Dalmore, in fact didn't enjoy the Laphroig. Was recommended Highland Park and bought the 12 yr old which I enjoy. 

Any tips please based on that sparse info? Happy to spend up to around 70 but would obviously be open to more reasonable prices.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Been reading this with interest. Just started getting into whisky recently after a tasting at a hotel around Christmas. The two headlines there were Laphroig and Dalmore (don't know which year it was). Way preferred the Dalmore, in fact didn't enjoy the Laphroig. Was recommended Highland Park and bought the 12 yr old which I enjoy. 

Any tips please based on that sparse info? Happy to spend up to around 70 but would obviously be open to more reasonable prices.

Yes, try more whisky. Best way to find what you like. You'll probably even find your tastes change over time and some day that Laphroiag might be right up your street.

To name some names anyway - Deanston 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Ardmore Legacy, Auchentoshan 12. But really just anything in your price range don't be scared to go for it.

Laphroaig certainly is an acquired taste! The Islay whiskies are generally much more peaty and I think tend to be a flavour you may or may not grow into. Other than that just try something you fancy and also maybe try with or without a few drops of water- can make a big difference to the taste. Enjoy!

22 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Yes, try more whisky. Best way to find what you like. You'll probably even find your tastes change over time and some day that Laphroiag might be right up your street.

To name some names anyway - Deanston 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Ardmore Legacy, Auchentoshan 12. But really just anything in your price range don't be scared to go for it.

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Laphroaig certainly is an acquired taste! The Islay whiskies are generally much more peaty and I think tend to be a flavour you may or may not grow into. Other than that just try something you fancy and also maybe try with or without a few drops of water- can make a big difference to the taste. Enjoy!

Thanks lads. I shall report my findings. Slàinte mhath!

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Thanks lads. I shall report my findings. Slàinte mhath!

I would buy two different styles at the 35 pound mark rather than one at 70 if it was me. You'll get decent stuff for that price. Maybe take one each of a highland, lowland or speyside initially if you want to keep away from the smoke and peat until you acquire the taste. 

All the ones suggested so far are great, but I'd also personally lobby for glengoyne, glen grant, glendronach, dalwhinnie. All great 'entry level' whiskies that would be good value. 

If I was going to ease myself into Islays a Bowmore 12 should be easily obtainable under 30 quid in Tesco or in Amazon. Laphroaig 10 similarly priced but probably a bit pungent to begin with.

Pair it with things that are salty and/or sweet so that the smoke flavours create almost a BBQ taste. I love a big pungent Islays with dates and blue cheese. 

If anyone fancies treating themselves so something a bit special I thoroughly recommend the zoom tasting  sessions with East Coast whiskies https://www.eastcoastwhisky.com/

Tends to be about 60-80 quid a session for which you get 8 nips delivered to door and then you go into a guided tasting session over Zoom.

Obviously that that price they are all rare and old whiskies. Not sure how he makes money TBH as I worked out the last one would see you averaging about 50 quid a nip at the Pot Still or SMWS.

On 09/06/2020 at 16:27, Slenderman said:

Ardmore Legacy is decent & on special offer frequently. Usually get it for a present for someone 'cos I'm a fucking cheapskate.

So I went for this in the end, as it was only £20 at Tesco.

Have to say it's pretty excellent value for money.   Cheers to all who recommended it - the smoke is definitely there, and that's all I ask in a whisky.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Have to say it's pretty excellent value for money.   Cheers to all who recommended it - the smoke is definitely there, and that's all I ask in a whisky.

Like i said before, I thought I was being a cheapskate. Actually a decent dram.

10 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Like i said before, I thought I was being a cheapskate. Actually a decent dram.

It's really well balanced.  Sweet, thick and smokey.  Very decent dram indeed.  

23 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Thanks for the advice pal.

Let me flip it on it's head then. Which should I avoid?

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Thanks for the advice pal.

Let me flip it on it's head then. Which should I avoid?

In the beginning , nothing , it’s about the experiences and tastes , the wider the net is cast , the more you will find you like or don’t.

now to contradict myself , if you think Laphroaig isn’t for you , generally avoid Islay whiskies ( Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain apart ) leave talisker alone as well, be wary of Ardmore , and possibly look to highland park and Springbank as the gateway drams to smoke .  

If you like a smoky taste I would highly recommend a Kilchoman. They do a special every 5 years that has the longest lasting smoky aftertaste I've ever experienced!

30 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I think I have a slightly inverted relationship with the Islay malts to most people in that Laphroaig is the first whisky I ever really liked so to me it's the non peaty/smoky ones I have had to work a little at liking. Go to options for me are Laphroaig, Old Pulteney and Glen Keith, with Lagavulin being the 'push the boat out' option. 

Keen to try some of the ones that get a good write up on here like Talisker but also some of the ones that are independently owned rather than being subsidiaries of wankers like Diageo. I know Kilchoman and Springbank are on that list, are there any other good ones?

Glenfarclas