whisky lovers

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The last outturn from SWMS sold out so fast and new outtrun was released at 9am this morning so I was ready.

I had my eye on 2 bottles, One from Glenrothes (12yrs old 64.5%) and the other Aberlour (17yrs old finished in a Ex-Guyanese Rum Barrel)

I logged on using my laptop and my phone. I put 1 in the basket from my phone and 1 in the basket from my laptop.  

I had my receipt at 9.03am and then refreshed the website page to find at 9.04am they were all gone.

This is better than the fight for toilet roll. 🤓 😎

I missed out on the Aberlour, although I take slight issue with the website not protecting bottles that are in your basket. I added it to basket, applied a voucher code, tried to apply a second code only to discover you can only do one per purchase, went to checkout at 0902 and it said the bottle was no longer in stock. 

Might head to the vaults the first weekend they re-open and see if there's any in stock there. 

2 hours ago, BigTidy said:

I missed out on the Aberlour, although I take slight issue with the website not protecting bottles that are in your basket. I added it to basket, applied a voucher code, tried to apply a second code only to discover you can only do one per purchase, went to checkout at 0902 and it said the bottle was no longer in stock. 

Might head to the vaults the first weekend they re-open and see if there's any in stock there. 

I had the sherried longmorn in my basket , added the Ardmore , 

went to the checkout to be told the Longmorn was all gone , have contacted them to ask , how it went from my basket to checked out by some other so and so.

no response yet 

I also had problems with the website. I kept trying 'add to basket' on the front page but it was not working. The basket stayed empty.

I then clicked on the 'more info' tab which took me to the next page then again I clicked on 'add to basket' and this time it worked.

Looks like I got lucky. I couldn't believe how fast they went.

I had problems with the website during the last outturn. I could not load up a page at one point, no images just script. I thought that the website had crashed.   

19 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I have a confession. At the moment the whisky I most enjoy is Jura 10.

I'll swap you a bottle for anything else.

SMWS is a nightmare at moment with the new outturns. Find the website is really dodgy but i suppose traffic will be huge.

I'm just dipping back into older stock. Tempted to go for some rum and armagnac too.

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'll swap you a bottle for anything else.

SMWS is a nightmare at moment with the new outturns. Find the website is really dodgy but i suppose traffic will be huge.

I'm just dipping back into older stock. Tempted to go for some rum and armagnac too.

I had a look at them, there looks to be some good deals. Cognac as well but some of that is a bit expensive. I had a bottle of Hennessy XO a few years back, the only time I have bought it and it was really really nice.  Lovely. 

Never tried an expensive rum or armagnac. 

16 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I had a look at them, there looks to be some good deals. Cognac as well but some of that is a bit expensive. I had a bottle of Hennessy XO a few years back, the only time I have bought it and it was really really nice.  Lovely. 

Stayed in the Meridian Hotel in Brussels about 12 years ago and they were selling something called Hennessy Timeless for €135 per shot.  It’s always stuck in my head!

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Stayed in the Meridian Hotel in Brussels about 12 years ago and they were selling something called Hennessy Timeless for €135 per shot.  It’s always stuck in my head!

Crazy price. I would need proof it was the real deal if I had the money for something like that.

It reminds me of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-41695774

41 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

My only rum experience was OVD until a mate,who works as a mixoligist (fucking barman) in London brought a bottle of this up over Xmas  https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/ron-zacapa/ron-zacapa-edicion-negra-1l-rum/?utm_content=ron-zacapa/ron-zacapa-edicion-negra-1l-rum&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtLT1BRD9ARIsAMH3BtW9lI2nv0mWJi0W8pU4p2sOys0WcMaAgFDOwscvmToA2Z21oP1RluYaAp-fEALw_wcB

It's just a different drink.

Suppose it's the difference between Whyte & McKay and an 18 yo Springbank 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

My only rum experience was OVD until a mate,who works as a mixoligist (fucking barman) in London brought a bottle of this up over Xmas  https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/ron-zacapa/ron-zacapa-edicion-negra-1l-rum/?utm_content=ron-zacapa/ron-zacapa-edicion-negra-1l-rum&currencyCode=GBP&utm_source=database&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=mom_base_1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtLT1BRD9ARIsAMH3BtW9lI2nv0mWJi0W8pU4p2sOys0WcMaAgFDOwscvmToA2Z21oP1RluYaAp-fEALw_wcB

It's just a different drink.

Suppose it's the difference between Whyte & McKay and an 18 yo Springbank 

You drink that straight? I am guessing you do. 

They need to have a rum night at the society and have all the rum half price. 😁

Can't be having OVD being dissed like this tbh; it's easily one of the best of the standard optic/bottom shelf spirit choices in a Scottish pub. If it were the product of a multinational giant like Bacardi (utter shite) instead of being a tinpot Scottish brand then everyone would be drinking it. 

OVD is bogging, substandard rum that even most scheme-goblins in Dundee would turn their nose up to. Rum in general is the inferior spirit when compared to any Whisky anyway.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Can't be having OVD being dissed like this tbh; it's easily one of the best of the standard optic/bottom shelf spirit choices in a Scottish pub. If it were the product of a multinational giant like Bacardi (utter shite) instead of being a tinpot Scottish brand then everyone would be drinking it. 

You wouldn't drink it neat though. Would you?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I was down in “that London” in a boozer waiting for a friend , I spied a bottle of Glenury 36 yo on the shelf , 

how much is that I asked , £102  for a dram , ffs put it back 

Just cracked open the Glenfarclas 25. Incredibly rich and smooth with a wee bitter cocoa kick to stop it being too boring.

It just confirms I'm not really a speyside man though. It's a lovely whisky but it's missing the saline and sweetness I like in my west coast whiskies. I find sherry casks too dry for my tastes too.

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

@Bairnardo the beer is really crisp and sharp , light citrus as well , it was easily drunk , still sipping on the 21 yo glendronach , that is like drinking maderia cake , sultanas , nutty , really nice 

A1B647F6-A2ED-499D-9419-C6E77986A8D6.jpeg

Chuffed you liked the beer. Also glad you left the sediment in the bottle so as not to make my product look shite in front of all my wee internet pals!:lol:

I felt that it lacked ever so slightly in hop flavor, but glad you picked out the citrus as that was very prevalent when I bottled it, just felt it faded back somewhat. Also felt the carb levels were a touch low but that's a personal preference thing.

No point adding anything more about Glendronach 21. Its quite simply peak whisky. I don't have the superlatives for it really.

ETA, the beer being easily drunk is a dangerous attribute to it at 5.8%

Edited by Bairnardo

14 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

OVD is bogging, substandard rum that even most scheme-goblins in Dundee would turn their nose up to. Rum in general is the inferior spirit when compared to any Whisky anyway.

I like rum and I reckon OVD is just fine. Cheap and mixes well with a diet coke. Your last sentence is just wrong as well and that coming from someone with as rich a taste in whisky as anyone on here.