whisky lovers

Alot of ‘cask strength’ whisky isnt actually cask strength so you will find much is at this sort of abv then slightly watered down to industry standard cask strength (63.5).

Would think most whiskies are casked at 63.5, so that must have been well over 70% to come out at 68 % after 11 years.

I’m not a whisky drinker but I assume once it’s out of the cask and into a bottle it’s doesn't get any better (or worse).
I have a few bottles going back 35-40 years, some opened some not.

It's my birthday on the 3rd of May.... [emoji14]

2 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Would think most whiskies are casked at 63.5, so that must have been well over 70% to come out at 68 % after 11 years.

Assuming it was held in Deanstons warehouse (although signatory also house some of their casks up at Edradour) the evaporation rate isn't as high as others. Their warehouse is a former Cotton mill room so has really high ceilings that was initially designed to combat heat and moisture. Quite a unique place to visit because of its previous occupancy.

Assuming it was held in Deanstons warehouse (although signatory also house some of their casks up at Edradour) the evaporation rate isn't as high as others. Their warehouse is a former Cotton mill room so has really high ceilings that was initially designed to combat heat and moisture. Quite a unique place to visit because of its previous occupancy.

Even taking that into account, as well as it being a sherry butt, at being between 0.5 and 1.0 % alcohol evaporation per year it must have been bloody strong when casked.

20 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Even taking that into account, as well as it being a sherry butt, at being between 0.5 and 1.0 % alcohol evaporation per year it must have been bloody strong when casked.

They've been releasing batch after batch of these first fill sherry casks at super strength so they must have found something for it. Deanston don't typically lay them down at over 67% but if it's an experiment it's working.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

100. About 25 quid cheaper than usual. Mate got a Ben Riach 21 for 85.

Both good deals. I haven't tried BenRiach 21 but I would very much like to and I'd buy a case at that price.

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I shall be opening my North Star Sirius 31 year old tonight, because why the f**k not. Updates will be provided assuming anyone is even remotely interested 😃

Tastes like charred amber. Very nice indeed. 

On 11/04/2020 at 16:04, bishopburn boy said:

Loch Lomond , looking it appears 46 and 53 were distilled on the same day , or more likely put into casks on the same day , so the comparison of the 2 should be interesting , before you go back Re blending them 

There is quite a bit of a difference, just got round to opening them up.

14 year old needed a drop of water, the 15 is lovely as it is. I might prefer the 14 with a drop of water to the 15 but I'm quite affected just now. 😄

6 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

68% is absolutely wild to me. My bottle of Ardbeg at (I think) 46% is a bit strong for me without a drop of water.

Tbh you cant really sit and drink it and have it neat all night. Its a one or two nips job then after that your probably wasting it as its so powerful that will have nullified your taste buds. Cask strengths certainly aren't for everyone, especially first fill sherry ones. Wouldn’t have particularly liked them a decade ago but I love them now.  

They've been releasing batch after batch of these first fill sherry casks at super strength so they must have found something for it. Deanston don't typically lay them down at over 67% but if it's an experiment it's working.

Must have been one of Ian McMillan’s daft ideas.
[emoji16]

On 17/04/2020 at 21:50, CountyFan said:

Tastes like charred amber. Very nice indeed. 

Got round to trying to trying it the other night, was pleasantly surprised given I had low expectations with such a price reduction for a high age whisky. Quite decent for the price. 

43 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Got round to trying to trying it the other night, was pleasantly surprised given I had low expectations with such a price reduction for a high age whisky. Quite decent for the price. 

I must have been pished when I provided that shocking review! It's really good. Dark, sticky, quite viscous if that makes sense. It's got a lot of body. Very good. 

49 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I must have been pished when I provided that shocking review! It's really good. Dark, sticky, quite viscous if that makes sense. It's got a lot of body. Very good. 

Funny you should say that, as I gave a taste to my girlfriend (who doesn't drink whisky) and she said it was thick like treacle. Im having another dram of it now and its growing even more on me, its the sweet taste initially with an unexpected  dab of smoke at the end that does it for me. Tempted to buy another if the price is the same.

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Funny you should say that, as I gave a taste to my girlfriend (who doesn't drink whisky) and she said it was thick like treacle. Im having another dram of it now and its growing even more on me, its the sweet taste initially with an unexpected  dab of smoke at the end that does it for me. Tempted to buy another if the price is the same.

Now its open I'll dip in and out, but its the more straightforward (if criminally underrated) Deanston 12 for me tonight. 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Now its open I'll dip in and out, but its the more straightforward (if criminally underrated) Deanston 12 for me tonight. 

Deanston 12 used to be my go to dram, however its rarely on offer these days, such is its quietly dedicated fan club Im guessing. Been getting  Bunnahabhain 12 more of late as its often under 30 quid. People say its gone downhill but I still like the stuff.

I have some miniatures from The Lost Distillery Company. A present. I haven't opened them.

Anyone tried them or heard about them? 

My 15 year old from Loch Lomond is like drinking that stuff you used to put on top of an ice cream cone. It's luscious

Edited by HeartsOfficialMoaner

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I have some miniatures from The Lost Distillery Company. A present. I haven't opened them.

Anyone tried them or heard about them? 

My 15 year old from Loch Lomond is like drinking that stuff you used to put on top of an ice cream cone. It's luscious

Ice cream?

The last outturn from SWMS sold out so fast and new outtrun was released at 9am this morning so I was ready.

I had my eye on 2 bottles, One from Glenrothes (12yrs old 64.5%) and the other Aberlour (17yrs old finished in a Ex-Guyanese Rum Barrel)

I logged on using my laptop and my phone. I put 1 in the basket from my phone and 1 in the basket from my laptop.  

I had my receipt at 9.03am and then refreshed the website page to find at 9.04am they were all gone.

This is better than the fight for toilet roll. 🤓 😎