Yeah I’ve tried it, it’s nice. Wouldn’t be able to tell you how it tasted though as it was a couple of months ago.

Also, that video is absolute hell. Not sure what’s worse, the big f**k off iceberg or the backing track. Hate Tiktok.

I'm taking my first tentative steps away from my highland/speyside/non-peat/non smoke comfort zone. I have been really enjoying the Springbank 12yo cask strength and yesterday I opened a Bowmore 15 that I got ridiculously cheap on amazon. By christ that's lovely stuff. 

Before I properly got in to whisky i had obviously tried lagavulin/laphroaig etc etc but never was able to enjoy them. Now I'm thinking it's time to revisit. 

Can someone please recommend the 3rd whisky on my peaty/smoky/island/islay journey to follow the bowmore 15 and springbank CS? £50 a bottle limit please. 

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Can someone please recommend the 3rd whisky on my peaty/smoky/island/islay journey to follow the bowmore 15 and springbank CS? £50 a bottle limit please. 

This enthusiastic learner commends Port Charlotte.

Yeah I wondered about PC since its obvs come up a few times in the last few pages on here. I shall investigate. 

I'd probably recommend Ledaig or Kilchoman before the harder hitters like PC.

54 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I'd probably recommend Ledaig or Kilchoman before the harder hitters like PC.

Just their standard issue or a particular one I should look out for? 

On 04/04/2020 at 22:30, GiGi said:

P&B sample swapping (matron!) is a good idea.

I second this. I Still have sample bottles that i used to do with swaps with people when working up in orkney as alot of them were whisky daft. Also a good wee idea for folk before they shell out on a bottle that isnt up their street too.

Edited by gannonball

Bishopburn Boy... Had the 2005 Original lastnight. Really nice, but felt a tiny splash of water was in order.

It had a spiciness to it, and had an almost tingly feeling on my mouth. Was weird. First time I have experienced that from a whisky. Very pleasant. Was like when you have had a smint and your mouth feels kinda cold and clean after it. Or the tingly sensation you get from szechuan peppercorns.....

Anyway it was unique in that sense for me and I very much enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Bishopburn Boy... Had the 2005 Original lastnight. Really nice, but felt a tiny splash of water was in order.

It had a spiciness to it, and had an almost tingly feeling on my mouth. Was weird. First time I have experienced that from a whisky. Very pleasant. Was like when you have had a smint and your mouth feels kinda cold and clean after it. Or the tingly sensation you get from szechuan peppercorns.....

Anyway it was unique in that sense for me and I very much enjoyed it.

@Bairnardo Yup , at 55.8 some water , ( not much mind !) helps the senses get all that’s going , it’s a really nice dram , and when you consider this was from pretty much their first season distilling , makes me think there will be more good stuff to follow as they hone their craft ! I think it also shows the strength / quality of the distillate and  with good casks we get great whisky 

Have you tried the grain sample yet ? 

Edited by bishopburn boy

Yup , at 55.8 some water , ( not much mind !) helps the senses get all that’s going , it’s a really nice dram , and when you consider this was from pretty much their first season distilling , makes me think there will be more good stuff to follow as they hone their craft ! I think it also shows the strength / quality of the distillate and  with good casks we get great whisky 
Have you tried the grain sample yet ? 

Did you get that tingly thing I was on about? Not usually arsed for comparing tasting notes because it's so personal but found that so intriguing. Never had a physical sensation from a dram before.

Was that the wee one? If so that's probably tonight, alongside a couple of beers.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Did you get that tingly thing I was on about? Not usually arsed for comparing tasting notes because it's so personal but found that so intriguing. Never had a physical sensation from a dram before.

Was that the wee one? If so that's probably tonight, alongside a couple of beers.

I know what you mean about it was like the dram is cleaning you palate  for you. ( though I’ve had drams in the past that tasted like cleaning a pallet or even a palatte  But those are horror stories for another day ) 

aye and sadly the grain is the wee ( small !) bottle thanks to Bladnoch for the generous tour drams bottle !

I know what you mean about it was like the dram is cleaning you palate  for you. ( though I’ve had drams in the past that tasted like cleaning a pallet or even a palatte  But those are horror stories for another day ) 
aye and sadly the grain is the wee ( small !) bottle thanks to Bladnoch for the generous tour drams bottle !
That's as good a way to describe it as I can think of. Maybe a spirit having a "cleaning" characteristic isnt desirable to the master distiller but I liked it!

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's as good a way to describe it as I can think of. Maybe a spirit having a "cleaning" characteristic isnt desirable to the master distiller emoji23.png but I liked it!

I don’t know , as it cleans you are then getting the cereal notes and some fruit  ( personal taste as bairnardo espouses ) so it works well as part of the package 

I find it very drinkable , but am trying to “eke it out “