whisky lovers

Ardbeg. Definitely Ardbeg. Oogie is also sherry cask matured so it's very rich.
Ardmore is still good but it's more lightly peated whereas Ardbeg are heavyweights in that dept.
I like Bruichladdich offerings specifically because I get the peat without too much sweetness. Iv liked lots of Islay malts but often theres too much sweetness there for me.

Bruichladdich seem to capture that brine flavour

Ardbeg. Definitely Ardbeg. Oogie is also sherry cask matured so it's very rich.
Ardmore is still good but it's more lightly peated whereas Ardbeg are heavyweights in that dept.

Sorry something happened with that quote, meant between the port charlotte and the bunnahabhain...

18 minutes ago, wellfan09 said:

Sorry something happened with that quote, meant between the port charlotte and the bunnahabhain...

Port Charlotte. That's heavily peated.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I like Bruichladdich offerings specifically because I get the peat without too much sweetness. Iv liked lots of Islay malts but often theres too much sweetness there for me.

Bruichladdich seem to capture that brine flavour

Depends really, Kilchoman has a fresh, citrusy smokieness to most of their stuff outside certain products that have sherry casks involved. Ardbeg generally aren't too sweet outside of Oog (Corryvreckan is really densely peaty and nowhere near as sweet).

Bruichladdich do loads of mad finishes and experiment with casks a lot of other distillers don't so it's a mixed bag with them. I'd agree their spirit is more cereal-y than sweet though.

11 minutes ago, wellfan09 said:

Ended up ordering a port charlotte, sure it will be worth it!

Nice. If you like the PC 10yo I'd recommend the Islay barley version. Even better.

6 hours ago, superbigal said:

Got a bottle of this stuff sherry cask 56.1%

Bottled by some swede.

My understanding is its a little like Aldis.

An unknown scottish malt , 19 years old , only 428 bottles from the cask blah blah blah.

However at 40 bucks worth a go.Screenshot_20200407-174928_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.bb0a50b2d026a1523af048ea78a2b019.jpeg

Decent abv and a sherry cask,sure it will be decent for that price 

I'm taking my first tentative steps away from my highland/speyside/non-peat/non smoke comfort zone. I have been really enjoying the Springbank 12yo cask strength and yesterday I opened a Bowmore 15 that I got ridiculously cheap on amazon. By christ that's lovely stuff. 

Before I properly got in to whisky i had obviously tried lagavulin/laphroaig etc etc but never was able to enjoy them. Now I'm thinking it's time to revisit. 

Can someone please recommend the 3rd whisky on my peaty/smoky/island/islay journey to follow the bowmore 15 and springbank CS? £50 a bottle limit please. 

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Can someone please recommend the 3rd whisky on my peaty/smoky/island/islay journey to follow the bowmore 15 and springbank CS? £50 a bottle limit please. 

This enthusiastic learner commends Port Charlotte.