whisky lovers

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

How big is your stash. GiGi?

About 90 bottles at the moment. Have one more on the way from SMWS.

That's about 30 bottles short of my peak which was just ridicuous. Killed a load of bottles at the tail end of last year and made an infinity bottle to make it easier and quicker to kill more.

I not long ago did some work for someone and he told me had some whisky and if I'd want to buy it I could take it off the price of the work. He said it was maybe about 8 bottles but ended up with about 18 bottles plus miniatures and quarter bottle and other wee things. Got it all for half price.  A bargain but never worked for whisky before. 

12 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I not long ago did some work for someone and he told me had some whisky and if I'd want to buy it I could take it off the price of the work. He said it was maybe about 8 bottles but ended up with about 18 bottles plus miniatures and quarter bottle and other wee things. Got it all for half price.  A bargain but never worked for whisky before. 

Would happily accept payment in whisky.

Anyone watch the BBC program with David Hayman about whisky? Fairly interesting watch although not too much in it most of you won't already know. There's a couple of episodes so far on iPlayer with more on the way.

On 17/03/2020 at 22:24, GiGi said:

Enjoying home isolation by getting into some of my better whiskies I've not been at for a while. Deanston 20 port finish tonight. Nearly half the bottle left which was a pleasant surprise it's genuinely one of the best I've ever tried. 

Distell were doing a free sampling in The Whisky Experience on Royal Mile a couple of weeks ago. Deanston, Bunnahabhain, Tobermory and Ledaig were the samples. Guy was very generous, think he was fed up talking to French rugby fans.

Nips of Deanston 18, and 15 organic. Bunnahabhain 12, Tobermory 12, Ledaig 18. Fair cheered me up!

What makes it an investment? How much do you expect to make from it and after how long?

People are free to do what they want with what they buy and all but I reckon you'd get more pleasure and value out of just drinking and enjoying it than waiting 10 years to make £100. 

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_0457.jpg

Bought this on Monday as a wee investment for the future. Challenged myself to buy a bottle a month but with everything going on just now I might not manage.

Drink it, honestly believe that people who look to invest in a whisky should at least buy two bottles, drink one, keep one, at least you can tell folk what it tastes like that way. 

It's a good dram that one, you can take my word on it. 

Drink it, honestly believe that people who look to invest in a whisky should at least buy two bottles, drink one, keep one, at least you can tell folk what it tastes like that way. 

I did that with a Scapa 12 that was going for $35 in a Baghdad shop. I now have a bottle that I’ll get around to flogging if we aren’t all dead next week. It was fairly pleasant, but nowhere near worth the hundred-odd quid it goes for.

Bottles of Glenfarclas 10 and of the Good Spirits Co.'s Arran 9 to get me through these turbulent times. Plus a bottle of Lagavulin 8 up in Inverness, assuming I get up the road before/after #LOCKDOWN.

What makes it an investment? How much do you expect to make from it and after how long?
People are free to do what they want with what they buy and all but I reckon you'd get more pleasure and value out of just drinking and enjoying it than waiting 10 years to make £100. 

It’s an investment if it goes up in value while I hold on to it. I’m no expert on the matter but it’s just an interest I have. If I have some spare cash going I want to buy whisky to sit on and see if I profit out of it years down the line. I’m not sure what your issue is with that.

You enjoy buying loads of whisky to drink and that’s absolutely fine. I’m not really interested in doing that - I love drinking whisky but buying loads of bottles to drink would be utterly pointless because I’d never get round to drinking them. I’ve already got three bottles given to me as gifts for drinking and they are just gathering dust.

That’s great for people who have enough money to do that - I don’t.

53 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s an investment if it goes up in value while I hold on to it. I’m no expert on the matter but it’s just an interest I have. If I have some spare cash going I want to buy whisky to sit on and see if I profit out of it years down the line. I’m not sure what your issue is with that.

You enjoy buying loads of whisky to drink and that’s absolutely fine. I’m not really interested in doing that - I love drinking whisky but buying loads of bottles to drink would be utterly pointless because I’d never get round to drinking them. I’ve already got three bottles given to me as gifts for drinking and they are just gathering dust.

I just don't think whisky is much of an investment outside of fairly expensive, limited releases. Nor do I like the idea of missing out on a limited release because other people have bought them purely to sit on a shelf in the hope they can make a skin off it.

Stuff like the Macallan Edition series and the Longrow Red series. They sell out on day 1 and within a month they'll end up auction sites or listed elsewhere privately at a mark up which is highly cunty behaviour. Not that that's what your doing, extreme examples tbh as there's obviously a clear difference between a wee interest for the medium-to-long term and what is basically just scalping similar to what happens with gig tickets.

It's a difference of opinion of what whisky is actually about, which in the end is up to the person that buys it.

I just don't think whisky is much of an investment outside of fairly expensive, limited releases. Nor do I like the idea of missing out on a limited release because other people have bought them purely to sit on a shelf in the hope they can make a skin off it.
Stuff like the Macallan Edition series and the Longrow Red series. They sell out on day 1 and within a month they'll end up auction sites or listed elsewhere privately at a mark up which is highly cunty behaviour. Not that that's what your doing, extreme examples tbh as there's obviously a clear difference between a wee interest for the medium-to-long term and what is basically just scalping similar to what happens with gig tickets.
It's a difference of opinion of what whisky is actually about, which in the end is up to the person that buys it.

The one that fucks me clean off is Daftmill. No chance il ever get to have a bottle of that.

Macallan doesnt bother me as they are churning out 40% NAS dregs and flogging them as limited editions. Not something I'd pay three figures to drink.

Longrow is annoying though as its delicious and affordable as a drinker yet you cant get it because of the scalping

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The one that fucks me clean off is Daftmill. No chance il ever get to have a bottle of that.

Macallan doesnt bother me as they are churning out 40% NAS dregs and flogging them as limited editions. Not something I'd pay three figures to drink.

Longrow is annoying though as its delicious and affordable as a drinker yet you cant get it because of the scalping

The Macallan Edition stuff is all generous abv and pricing so the one offering they have I actually take interest in.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I mist be thinking of other shite they churn out, Concept No 1 and the like

Aye most of their range is overpriced nonsense. I just don't like their ideology that they should make themselves the luxury brand like Rolex or whatever shite it was they came out with.

The Edition stuff is the real deal though and a good idea of what Macallan could be putting out and for reasonable prices if they really wanted to.

https://www.themacallan.com/en/whisky/single-malts/limited-releases/the-edition-series

EDIT to add they're long sold out by now. Can be found for quadruple retail price.

Edited by GiGi