whisky lovers

14 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Probably because you have a scabby wooden transport enabler in your mouth ,( or an old word for a bed )

palette - what a painter ( artist , not decorator uses) 

Palate , the whisky discriminator !

:lol:

That’s a great typo. I really should proof read my posts...

On 11/01/2020 at 00:16, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’d only had Old Pulteney 12 once and hated it, so hadn’t had it again for years until this Christmas someone poured me one and it was decent enough. Don’t know if it’s changed at all, or my palate has.

Yeah I did the tour earlier this year as was working up in Orkney so did a few up that neck of the woods and its decent stuff. Ended up working with quite a few serious whisky collectors up in Orkney and it was a few of them that told me some of there stuff cant be a raffle at times.

Quite often though I will try and stuff be a bit underwhelmed and then have it again a few weeks later and change my mind. But you know when you get a rough botting.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7662.jpg

Learnt a lesson the other day when I bought this from Glasgow Airport. Was told that this is a travel exclusive and is only available in Glasgow Airport, I thought great - I might make a few quid off of this. I did try to google it but the WiFi was rubbish so I took my chances and bought it. I searched it later to find it was selling for the exact same price I paid through various companies online :lol:

So yeah, I was told nonsense when I bought it. Might be worth something later down the line so I’ll just hold onto it. I tasted it in the airport though and it was pretty nice.

It likely won't be worth anything later down the line, it's just another travel exclusive among hundreds. Drink it and enjoy it or gift it if you know someone who'll appreciate it, it's no investment.

£25 in tesco. It was either this, or a litre of haig clubman down from £35 to £22. Had a nip of Highland Park the other week, and I've tried the haig one before, it was ok but I prefer the single malt. IMG_20200131_204142.jpeg

IMG_7662.thumb.jpg.220c420f851877387dc28e3defedcce2.jpg

Learnt a lesson the other day when I bought this from Glasgow Airport. Was told that this is a travel exclusive and is only available in Glasgow Airport, I thought great - I might make a few quid off of this. I did try to google it but the WiFi was rubbish so I took my chances and bought it. I searched it later to find it was selling for the exact same price I paid through various companies online default_laugh.png

So yeah, I was told nonsense when I bought it. Might be worth something later down the line so I’ll just hold onto it. I tasted it in the airport though and it was pretty nice.
At the risk of sounding like a patronising auld fucker, in what world would anything bought in an airport outlet be likely to be a good buy / exclusive opportunity / fine investment?

At the risk of sounding like a patronising auld fucker, in what world would anything bought in an airport outlet be likely to be a good buy / exclusive opportunity / fine investment?

Some distilleries do airport exclusives where they are sold only in duty free and nowhere else - therefore the only way to obtain a bottle is by flying somewhere (or maybe you could get a friend who works at the airport to get you one, I don’t know). Sometimes it’s exclusive to only certain airports as well. Highland Park for example did an airport exclusive, they had bottles for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Heathrow and many more. When they first came out you could buy them and sell them immediately to make a few quid. I thought that’s what I could maybe do here but as it turned out I fucked it.

Some distilleries do airport exclusives where they are sold only in duty free and nowhere else - therefore the only way to obtain a bottle is by flying somewhere (or maybe you could get a friend who works at the airport to get you one, I don’t know). Sometimes it’s exclusive to only certain airports as well. Highland Park for example did an airport exclusive, they had bottles for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Heathrow and many more. When they first came out you could buy them and sell them immediately to make a few quid. I thought that’s what I could maybe do here but as it turned out I fucked it.
I suppose I'm just an auld sceptic. I've always had the notion that selling "exclusive" whiskies -usually in litre bottles- rather than the higher end of their normal range duty free is simply a way of the industry protecting the image and prices of familiar whiskies in UK shops. Similarly, in EU countries, where duty on alcohol is usually cheaper, you find very few familiar top end malts (Glen Grant, anyone? ) in the supermarkets - for the same reason, I've always felt.
I am quite happy to be corrected, however.
And I am not suggesting that many of the airport malts are anything other than damn fine drams, just that I'm not sure they are bargains.

57 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Can we all unanimously agree haig is probably the worst “premium whisky” on the planet and has only ever been tried cause of David Beckham

It's about £16 a bottle, it's priced lower than some proper gutrot, which is what it is. Only thing premium about it is the adverts.