whisky lovers

I'm up the road this weekend (Black Isle) and at a loose end tomorrow so was hoping to do a distillery tour. A few I looked at are shut on a sunday unfortunately. It's looking like either Tomatin or Benromach - any other ideas that aren't a million miles away? 

I wanted to do Clynelish originally. Only other ones I have done so far are Lowland. 

28 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I'm up the road this weekend (Black Isle) and at a loose end tomorrow so was hoping to do a distillery tour. A few I looked at are shut on a sunday unfortunately. It's looking like either Tomatin or Benromach - any other ideas that aren't a million miles away? 

I wanted to do Clynelish originally. Only other ones I have done so far are Lowland. 

Balblair is a really good tour and not too far (Dornoch).

Smaller and more traditional than Glenmorangie which is just down the road.

Tomatin was an ok tour , as my fellow Stranraer supporter says Balblair is great , but if it’s shut that’s not great , have done Benromach it was ok , but is a very modern set up with more folk employed in the tours than making whisky 

bit further down the A9 , dalwinnie is ok as well 

Glencadam tasting last night was great , 10 , 13, new 15, 17 port , 19 Sherry , and a couple of Tomintoul 16, and 12 Sherry finish , ( and a wee splash of new make ) 

and off to a Loch Lomond tasting this afternoon 

21 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

Tomatin was an ok tour , as my fellow Stranraer supporter says Balblair is great , but if it’s shut that’s not great , have done Benromach it was ok , but is a very modern set up with more folk employed in the tours than making whisky 

bit further down the A9 , dalwinnie is ok as well 

Glencadam tasting last night was great , 10 , 13, new 15, 17 port , 19 Sherry , and a couple of Tomintoul 16, and 12 Sherry finish , ( and a wee splash of new make ) 

and off to a Loch Lomond tasting this afternoon 

The tasting was by the Loch Lomond ambassador , but he is also the ambassador ( pass the ferrero rocher please ) for Glen Scotia , and it was that we were treated to 

started on the 25 , ( get the good  stuff in before we wreck our palates ) then the young Nas double cask , followed by the 15 , the 18 oloroso finish, the Victoriana and the 16 rum cask finish , to finish , entertaining , and good drams 

thumbs up , and Stranraer , didn’t lose a goos Saturday afternoon 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Clarity

19 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Got given a bottle of Glen Keith for my birthday last year and just finished it tonight. Very enjoyable indeed as a standby for nights when I wasn't really too fussed and just wanted a relatively generic whisky. Can't sniff at it for a bottle you seem to be able to get for £20 in the shops on a good day. Wonder if anyone on this thread who actually knows what they're talking about has an opinion on it.

Think you answered your own question , its “meh” , which is better than meths , I guess. 

Got given a bottle of Glen Keith for my birthday last year and just finished it tonight. Wonder if anyone on this thread who actually knows what they're talking about has an opinion on it.

You do realise this is Pie and Bovril we’re talking about?

Got given a bottle of Glen Keith for my birthday last year and just finished it tonight. Very enjoyable indeed as a standby for nights when I wasn't really too fussed and just wanted a relatively generic whisky. Can't sniff at it for a bottle you seem to be able to get for £20 in the shops on a good day. Wonder if anyone on this thread who actually knows what they're talking about has an opinion on it.

Morrisons had a NAS malt on sale for £16.

It might have been Glen Keith, or Moray.

I think that’s the cheapest I’ve ever seen for a named distillery malt.

I can meet one of those criteria.

Did anybody go to the Whisky Fringe last weekend? 

I went on the Saturday, couple of highlights were:

James Eadie - I'm generally a big fan of their bottlings. They had a Linkwood 11 Amontillado cask which was my favourite from the day and duly purchased at the end of the day. They also had a Linkwood PX cask and a Caol Ila Palo Cortado which are worth checking out.

An Cnoc 16  Cask Strength

Wemyss Malts - Never heard of these guys before. They had three different blends; a sweet one, a spicy one and a peaty one. Also a couple of single cask bottlings including a very nice Linkwood. Went to them for the half time orange as well, 31 year old Bunnahabhain. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I think that's harsh. Jura is adequate 'table whisky'.

Just about, but £25 for table whisky a bargain is not.