whisky lovers

1 minute ago, HI HAT said:

Was anybody tempted by the Amazon prime offers?? I got a Cragganmore 12 and the Dalmore 12. Was hoping that the Dalmore15 would be on offer but no such luck. Overall was a bit disappointed that
there wasn't a stand out deal.

Thought the best price on offer was the Lagavulin 16 but didnt buy cos I am fucking rooked. Agree nothing inspiring

What's the verdict on Tamnavulin double cask? It seems to be continually swapping with Auchentoshan's American Oak in the ~£20 offers range at supermarkets right now. I'm not a connoisseur and enjoy American Oak just fine but wouldn't mind trying something different next time as well. 

What's the verdict on Tamnavulin double cask? It seems to be continually swapping with Auchentoshan's American Oak in the ~£20 offers range at supermarkets right now. I'm not a connoisseur and enjoy American Oak just fine but wouldn't mind trying something different next time as well. 

Its alright. Right in the same bracket as American Oak. If you get it for 18 or 19 notes its a perfectly good skelping dram.

Probably a wee touch better than American Oak in fact.

The jakey bam at my work who has a 6 figure collection and is generally accepted as a whisky authority raves about Tamnavulin for value for money at sub 20 quid.

Nothing to write home about but better than shite like Cardhu Gold Reserve or Dalwhinnie Winters Gold

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its alright. Right in the same bracket as American Oak. If you get it for 18 or 19 notes its a perfectly good skelping dram.

Probably a wee touch better than American Oak in fact.

The jakey bam at my work who has a 6 figure collection and is generally accepted as a whisky authority raves about Tamnavulin for value for money at sub 20 quid.

Nothing to write home about but better than shite like Cardhu Gold Reserve or Dalwhinnie Winters Gold

He has over 100,000 whiskies?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Shame you weren't as into trying whisky last time you were at my gaffe. 

But aye buy all the cheap ones on offer. American Oak is very ordinary, most stuff on supermarket shelves should be better.

7 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Was anybody tempted by the Amazon prime offers?? I got a Cragganmore 12 and the Dalmore 12. Was hoping that the Dalmore15 would be on offer but no such luck. Overall was a bit disappointed that

Same here, was disappointed. Was hoping for something a wee bit different to try, have already got most of  the discounted ones on my shelves.

Was tempted by the Lagavulin Distillers Edition, but didn't end up buying anything. My erse is making buttons for something new to try now as I was sure I'd get something on Prime day.

9 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Bought the Lagavulin 16 because at £39 it seemed like a pretty decent deal. 

Not a huge whiskey drinker so it'll last me at least six months, hopefully. Last bottle was a Ledaig 10, lasted best part of a year! 

8 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Not a huge whiskey drinker so it'll last me at least six months, hopefully. Last bottle was a Ledaig 10, lasted best part of a year! 

I'm still enjoying a bottle of that, good price at £39.  Couldn't convince myself to pay an extra £25 for the Distillers Edition. 

Anyone tried it? Did I make a mistake by being too stingy to pay £64.50? Is it  £25 nicer then the standard 16 yo?

64 quid is a bit dear but I've had the distillers edition before and it's really nice. Lovely sweet notes to compliment the smoke.

If smoky whisky is your thing you might just find it worth that much.

On 10/07/2019 at 19:07, GiGi said:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/50097/bunnahabhain-2007-12-year-old-signatory

Gimme dat. Not bought any new whisky for about 6 months.

Had one of these last night and it's very good but nothing at all like as advertised. Smells like a fruit basket in a sweet shop. 

Honeydew melon, creme brule, sweet cherries and all that good stuff. Very little earthiness that I was expecting, and nothing even resembling peat. Drinks well at cask strength too, little water needed and it's lovely and thick and oily on the tongue.

Overall a 4/5 anyway it's delicious. A bit of weight and earth on the palate and it would be a worldie. 

20 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Picked up the Oban 14 for £39. About a tenner off, not an amazing deal but I was looking for something else in that price bracket as a sipping whisky. Might pick up a Glengoyne 12 if I see one going anywere then something a bit more special at the Whisky Fringe in a couple of weeks. 

I'd say £40 is decent, it's $80 over here and it's been over $100 in the not so distant past - I think it became very desirable in the wake of Parks and Recreation going there and the price held up for at least a couple of years.

7 hours ago, Peedzy said:

I'm still enjoying a bottle of that, good price at £39.  Couldn't convince myself to pay an extra £25 for the Distillers Edition. 

Anyone tried it? Did I make a mistake by being too stingy to pay £64.50? Is it  £25 nicer then the standard 16 yo?

Yes it is and i love the 16 yo

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yes it is and i love the 16 yo

Prefer the 12 , at cask strength , however I can’t get my head around the 8, 9 or 16 pricing , where the oldest is often the cheapest or they are presented at essentially the same price 

peedzy  - see if you can find some Balblair 12, it’s a lovely sipping dram 40 to 45 of the English pounds 

83588088c84da298971eadcff933413ba1b2d51c

Did you buy that and if so how much was it? Even if you just tried that on the tour I'm still jealous. I got a 20 year old port matured a couple of years ago up there for bang on £100 and it was worth every single penny.