whisky lovers

Just now, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, gannonball said:
I got a shite one off ebay that was much cheaper. Did exactly how it said about putting water in and out of it to swell up the wood but the c**t kept leaking so never got round to putting anything in it. Ended up being a garden ornament! At least with Amazon you get the user reviews per product but judging by the two on it I would avoid also emoji38.png

Theres a place in falkirk that sells old whisky barrells. They will be spent for the industry standards presumably. You could probably dump some sherry in it for a few weeks and let it infuse the wood though. Least youd be getting a proper built one

Where abouts? I live in Stirling and see ones advertised a lot on facebook market place but they always seem to be the standard sized ones and knackered so being sold as planters etc. You get some ones now selling as converted mini bars etc which I have been tempted by but I don't really the space for one after my cabinets.

Where abouts? I live in Stirling and see ones advertised a lot on facebook market place but they always seem to be the standard sized ones and knackered so being sold as planters etc. You get some ones now selling as converted mini bars etc which I have been tempted by but I don't really the space for one after my cabinets.
Theres a sign on Grahams Road think they are called whisky barrels direct.

Have a look at whiskybarrelsdirect.com

Its a mobile number though so cant be sure its them. They are saying 40 notes for a small barrel and deliver nationwide

23 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Been given this by a mate of mine, never to my knowledge had a single grain whisky so looking forward to it IMG-20190529-WA0005.jpg

Grain’s can be really nice , if they have properly looked after and given a good cask , hope you enjoy it .

i always try to keep a grain open amongst the drams on the sipping shelf , currently a gorgeous 30 yo north British , from a Sherry butt that set me back all of £ 90, whisper it but there is fantastic value in aged grain whiskies. 

Had the grain whisky last night and was pleasantly surprised. A bit sweeter than I expected but TBH if I could find a bottle of this Invergordon grain I would definitely buy it. Really enjoyed it

19 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
28 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:
Picked up this bad boy , it is one of the nicest drams I,ve had from the smws , 
D98845CB-05F5-44C6-9280-AA869A0C47F2.thumb.jpeg.956e7ebedc8cb605c50d067993f86ae2.jpeg

Longmorn distillery. One I've never yet tried, or even heard of to be honest. Must expand my horizons!!

Well worth the effort , this is a lovely dram , worth seeking out , at 216 ( cask count )  it’s one of the more regular contributors to the  SMWS outturns 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Detail

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:10, bishopburn boy said:

Picked up this bad boy , it is one of the nicest drams I,ve had from the smws , 

D98845CB-05F5-44C6-9280-AA869A0C47F2.jpeg

I was in the vaults in Leith a couple of months ago and tried a couple of Longmorns. Came to the conclusion that 12-16 years was a good age for them. Tried one that was in the 20s and it wasn't so great. 

Have somehow managed to give my dram cupboard a shot in the arm from last month where I was running dangerously low.

Currently consists of....

Berry Bros Sherry cask blend
Port Charlotte 10
Compass Box Spice Tree
Glenallachie 10 CS
Springbank 12 CS
Talisker 57 North

I'm happy with this year's Father's Day present

bnvob_10yo.thumb.jpg.1704ed4591c77242e2602f465ac1e6db.jpg
I got the Port Charlotte (at my request) as I wanted to add a heavy peat number to the mix. Tried it lastnight, its labelled as heavily peated but its not overpowering at all and I wouldnt say medicinal/iodine like Laphroaig. It starts off peat then goes quite sweet, then theres a real heat on the way down. It lacks the briney flavour of the other Bruichladdich efforts I have tried and enjoyed IMO, but it is pretty good.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Have somehow managed to give my dram cupboard a shot in the arm from last month where I was running dangerously low.

Currently consists of....

Berry Bros Sherry cask blend
Port Charlotte 10
Compass Box Spice Tree
Glenallachie 10 CS
Springbank 12 CS
Talisker 57 North

Good balance and width  there 

glenfarclas ( smws 1.207 ) 

longmorn (smws 2.216 as  pictured above )

rosebank ( smws 25.65 )

Daftmill first release 2005 at cask strength 

springbank 12 cask strength  ( this years ) 

lagavulin 9 game of frones 

teannich North Star , at 50% 

daftmill winter release 

benromach 10 

elijah Craig barrel proof ( 69.3 for the record ) 

North British , 30 yo single cask , ex Sherry 

and for them as don’t want whisky , there is some Jameson’s ,

Only been drinking and really appreciating whisky for about a year now, so reckon i probably have a more bland variety at this stage. I currently own:

Glenmorangie 10yr
Glenfiddich 12yr
Glenfiddich 15yr (Sherry Cask)
Cardhu 12yr
Aberfeldy 12yr
Aberlour 12yr
Glen Keith 10yr
Balvenie 12yr
Coal Ila Distillery Edition
Kilchoman Loch Gorm (Sherry Cask)

My favourite Whisky so far is the Bunnahabhain 18.

25 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Only been drinking and really appreciating whisky for about a year now, so reckon i probably have a more bland variety at this stage. I currently own:

Glenmorangie 10yr
Glenfiddich 12yr
Glenfiddich 15yr (Sherry Cask)
Cardhu 12yr
Aberfeldy 12yr
Aberlour 12yr
Glen Keith 10yr
Balvenie 12yr
Coal Ila Distillery Edition
Kilchoman Loch Gorm (Sherry Cask)

My favourite Whisky so far is the Bunnahabhain 18.

Hamish , again some fine drams on the shelf , I’ve not had the glen Keith , how is that ?

Hamish , again some fine drams on the shelf , I’ve not had the glen Keith , how is that ?

I was gifted it for Christmas. It’s the edition which was bottled in the 90s, the distillery has changed hands since its production so not sure how it compares to todays Glen Keith.

It’s an ok dram, a bit too grassy/herbally for me, smells better than it tastes. Not much of an after taste, so if the newer version is similar, i would have it in the bland, easy drinking category.

Edit to add: I haven’t tried anything from your collection. I tried the Glenfarclas 105 last week, which was like rocket fuel. Clearly not ready for that strength as yet [emoji23].

I was gifted it for Christmas. It’s the edition which was bottled in the 90s, the distillery has changed hands since its production so not sure how it compares to todays Glen Keith.

It’s an ok dram, a bit too grassy/herbally for me, smells better than it tastes. Not much of an after taste, so if the newer version is similar, i would have it in the bland, easy drinking category.

Edit to add: I haven’t tried anything from your collection. I tried the Glenfarclas 105 last week, which was like rocket fuel. Clearly not ready for that strength as yet [emoji23].
Add a splash of water and persevere. Higher strength is better IMHO